Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Freelander 2 – 200k miles on the clock – what could possibly go wrong!
  • toomba
    Free Member

Mate of mine has one with 265k on the clock good chunk of these miles towing a race car up and down the country, he has had nothing major go wrong just serviced regular.

burko73

I had one I bought ten yrs ago. It got used daily a# a foresters vehicle, off the public roads, a lot of stop, start driving on gravel roads and grass rides. Would go anywhere.

I really liked it, solid, looked nice. Good resale value when I got rid of it. Nothing went wrong on it other than rear drum based handbrake used to seize and stay rubbing sometimes due to being covered in mud a lot.

I had it after an fl1 which was actually pretty good for the same duties and the dog loved the opening rear window/ grill combo. Only thing that happened to that was it ate a few diesel injectors. It was the bmw period Diesel engine. Looking at the mot records it’s still on the Rd today. The fl2 isn’t.

CountZero

Can’t be worse than Highlander 2 can it?

Nice pop culture reference snuck in there! Well done that man. 😁

the-muffin-man

Picked it up after work yesterday – drives like a dream, night and day between this and the CRV. Fingers crossed now! 🙂

Pic1

Pic2

…and the rear seats don’t look like they’ve been used at all.

No doubt I’ll be returning to this thread! 🙂

martymac

Wow, those seats don’t look like they’ve seen 200k of action

tthew

Probably replaced after a massive accident set all the airbags off. 🤣

trumpton
    Free Member

looks real nice. Enjoy.

the-muffin-man

First little niggle – air vents chucked a load of mist out last night and I thought ‘ooooh shit- here we go!’.

Popped it into the garage next door and turned out to be filthy pollen filter and blocked AC drain. So easy fix.

To be continued!…

🙂

wzzzz
    Free Member

I remember the pollen filter being a trauma to replace on mine. Pulled it out at ten years old and it was dated before the car was built. On a full dealer history car too.

Oh and oil filter was a nightmare to access until I got a flex head ratchet spanner to fit and then it was easy.

andyl
    Free Member

Only just seen this, OP if you hadnt taken it I would have asked where it was I would. For £2k that is a bargain.

We have a 2004 FL1 TD4 on almost that mileage. Just passed it’s MOt with no advisories the day after pulling a caravan around france for 2 weeks. Granted the engine check light now comes on when going up hills with the caravan but tbh I was just amazed it survived as we are only keeping it going until the expensive Michelin tyres (off road for using on the farm) are worn down too much.

Yes it has had a fair few problems like door locks, window regulators, injectors etc. I have just fitted new front wishbones as the outer ball joint rubbers split at 190k. It gets used for towing sheep and hay trailers and for transporting the dog and taking up kayaking and MTBing so it has a hard life.

OH would like a FL2 and we did look at one like that for >£11k but what we really need is a 3.5T tow car and me to do my licence. £2k is peanuts for what you get in the HSE, even with 200k.

It is a Ford derived engine so 2.2 diesel, not the crappy 2 litre BMW one. Chassis should be all land rover and you only have to look at the prince Philip crash to see how good the safety is. the FL1 body creaks and groans as it is a bit flexy but the FL2 is a much better car. Only weakness i know of was some of the early rear diffs and transfer boxes. Should be easy enought o pick a used one up though if they go.

andyl
    Free Member

just realised it has the updated terrain knob so is the refresh one too.

the-muffin-man

Hi Andy – it’s got the sport auto box too, with the command shift. Didn’t think I’d use it but it helps when it can’t quite decide what gear to be in!

Garage has said the power steering is a bit noisy so that may need looking at at some time. But other than that it’s all good underneath. I’ll run it for a few months and see if anything nasty crops up though.

I’ve had the oil changed as it’s not clear when that was last done.

Wzzzz – they said the pollen filter on this didn’t look like it had been changed in a good few years. A small child is recommended to get in the footwell to replace! 🙂

Jamze

Hi Andy – it’s got the sport auto box too, with the command shift. Didn’t think I’d use it but it helps when it can’t quite decide what gear to be in!

What’s the auto on the FL2? I have a bit of fun keeping an older RR going, which has a ZF, and one of the best things I’ve done is service the gearbox (fluid flush, new filter, sump and new fluid) which transformed it. Really makes a difference, no more hesitation. Land Rover said these were sealed for life, but ZF disagrees.

wzzzz
    Free Member

Chassis should be all land rover and you only have to look at the prince Philip crash to see how good the safety is.

Its Ford EUCD platform, same as Galaxy, Mondeo, SMax and a load of very safe Volvos (XC70).

Wzzzz – they said the pollen filter on this didn’t look like it had been changed in a good few years. A small child is recommended to get in the footwell to replace! 🙂

Yup its weirdly inaccessible.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Keep an eye on the power steering. The filter blocks in the reservoir and the rack can run dry. A fix was to rip the filter out.

the-muffin-man

Well it was MOT yesterday – the day of the year I hate the most. 🙂

And… just a track rod end needed!

And an advisory for a rusty exhaust bracket.

Now on 206,000 miles.

sneakyg4
    Free Member

I have one of these on 160K, the rear diff now needs replaced – a £700 touch, but that’s been the only bill beyond consumables in the 100K or so that I have had it.

Planning to run it 250K.

the-muffin-man

Superficial
    Free Member

Yay well done. We sold our FL2 at 7years/80k miles because I was nervous about big bills but perhaps that was shortsighted. Yours looks really nice, and £2k for a year’s motoring in a posh-looking car with all the toys is pretty decent (certainly less than most people will pay for their basic leased Kia / Ford etc). Update us in a year…!

the-muffin-man

We sold our FL2 at 7years/80k miles because I was nervous about big bills but perhaps that was shortsighted.

Looking at the big wodge of invoices that came with this one you may have sold at the right time! 🙂

jugheaddave
    Free Member

Keep us posted… I love a good high mileage vehicle thread!!!

CountZero

I see cars with seats and interiors that are absolutely filthy and stained with only a couple of thousand miles on the clock, if that, and the overall condition of the vehicle not much better, so that is pristine! We had a 2014 Pug 308 repossession come in, about 48k on it, and the stench when opening the door was unbelievable, like a kitchen waste bin in hot weather, it had a puddle in the driver’s footwell half an inch deep with an apple core dissolving in it; I had to move it about 100ft, and it was as much as I could do to keep my stomach contents in! That’s a showroom car by comparison.

Inbred456
    Free Member

The best I’ve had was a Saab 900 T16 Aero that was on 258k when it had to go. The front window pillars were starting to go so I sold it to somebody who was going to strip the dash and screen out to fix them. Mechanically it was sound. It’s now concourse and his pride and joy. Still on the original engine although I think he put a new clutch in.

the-muffin-man

LOL! Knew I shouldn’t have posted that pic last week! 🙂

Car has started shutting down at random now. Just driving along and completely switches off – trundle to the side of the road, stick it in park, restart and all is good again.

Took it to the garage next door and it showed 71 warning codes – they cleared them all, took it for a hard drive and 17 more showed up, all unrelated and nothing that points directly at why it should be shutting down. They are thinking ECU is having a break-down!!

The shutting down isn’t a problem with just me in, but the wife tows a horsebox with it and it could be extremely dangerous to be with no steering or brakes even for a few seconds.

I wanted it to last a year and it’s done it’s job, but time to shift it on I think – I’m not spending months chasing electrical faults on a car of this age and mileage. Been there, done that.

Going to look at a nearly new 180bhp Kuga this weekend.

twistedpencil

Oh dear, our Mk 1 Freelander started doing that – just randomly, saying nope, I’m having a rest.  It got traded in shortly afterwards.  Can’t say I miss it!  It was held together with cable ties, blu tack and bits of wood replacing the window actuators when they started to fail in turn…  Well done on getting twelve months out of it.

sobriety
    Free Member

My megane did this – it was a single wire in a harness that had rubbed through the insulation and was cutting the engine when it shorted out, it only happened at certain angles/inclines/revs so was a bugger to find – but cast nowt to fix when we found it.

Hopefully yours is a similar issue.

Get it running in neutral with the bonnet up and start wiggling harnessess to see if it cuts out.

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Freelander 2 – 200k miles on the clock – what could possibly go wrong!’ is closed to new replies.