Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Fox fork problem – clunking?!?
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Hopefully you guys can assist please

I’ve noticed a knocking/clunking noise in my forks or shock….I’ve narrowed it down to either of these but think it’s the fork

I can get the same clunk every time I compress the seat / top tube, standing still so is no other part of the bike, it’s not the headset there is no play but it kinda sounds like a headset being loose if a know what I mean..it does it in both locked out and open but only for the first bit of travel, ie it doesn’t continue to do it throughout the travel, the forks don’t fully lock out and I’m wondering if they are goosed..

The rear shock is 2 months old and works fine, but because the noise is when the bikes compresseed I can’t rule out the rear shock, but it performs solid in climb and works through all the travel fine on descend etc, I really don’t think it’s the shock

But the front fork doesn’t lock out fully and when I compres in locked out mode up front the clunk happens and the fork compresses about 5 millimetres , so basically pressing down on the bike in fully open or fully locked it makes a clunking noise

I also can sort of feel the clunk vibration through my arm on the handlebars when it makes the clunk again making me think it’s the fork and not the shock

The bike doesn’t make a sound while riding which is good, but on technical climbing it does it a lot when the suspension on front or back are going through that initial 5 mm travel up and down

I’ve not had my forks serviced for a while they fox float 32 fit damper, does it sound like bushings perhaps? Though when I rock the forks back and forth there is no movement?

Sorry to babble on, any ideas guys?

reedspeed
    Free Member

Air or oil ?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Float 32 air forks reed speed

LoCo
    Free Member

FIT cartridge?

dingabell
    Free Member

My mate had a knocking noise on his forks and sent them off to Mojo. Turns out it was problem with the rebound and they had them back to him in two days!

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Fit cartride loco supplied by you 🙂

I don’t think the rebound is working directly either as I used to have 18 clickband now it only turns 12 clicks

LoCo
    Free Member

How long ago was that? Probably just due a service as reckon it’s got to be 12 months+ old now ?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

It would be easy to diagnose if it was a hardtail, but as it’s full suspension I can’t obviously tell whether it’s front or rear as they both move…though as I said the rearvshock is near enough new…the fork is about 3 years old this June, but only had the fit damper about 2 years back

takisawa2

Rear shock bush/mount or fork bushes.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Can’t be the shock then really I reckon two months old, mounts are brand new too

Guessing it’s the forks then

Luckily it doesn’t make riding the bike unbearable as it’s mostly silent until you have some super sketchy rocky climb where it keeps going through the first five mm’s of travel

Bawls dunno whether just get some new forks now instead of servicing them, I know they’ll be like new when loco has finished with em but it’s no doubt gonna be a 100 quid fix 🙁

LoCo
    Free Member

If the fork doesn’t fully lockout the damper needs a service, as long as he threshold is on full when trying to lock it out, FIT damper service is £40

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Yep it’s not fully locking out defo there’s movement a good 5mm or so through the travel and that’s when the knocking/klunk occurs, they are only float rl’s so don’t have threshold? Just turn the dial to fully locked out and it still compresses 5mm or so defo never did that when new always been completely locked out no budge at all, so does that really sound like the problem then?

£40 for a service loco sounds good or is that on top of the rest of a service? How much for a full on service Inc fit damper?

LoCo
    Free Member

Full service on forks 79.99 or if you just send the cart. In it’s £40 for the strip & rebuild with new seals/ bladder etc.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Ahh right cheers loco if I send the whole thing in though the fit damper will be serviced along with rest of the fork for 79.99? I think they want looking at fully and may as well have it all done at once?

LoCo
    Free Member

Yes, everything sorted in the Full Service.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Sweeeeeeeeet what is turnaround like at the mo bud?

LoCo
    Free Member

Booking for week after next, (25th) currently

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Sorry mate if I posted them Monday when would I likely see them back the 25th?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

well just did a seal service today on the forks – just on the off chance it fixed the clunk or something was loose inside, but to no avail, the klunk is still there when compressing the seat or top tube

very strange that it doesnt actually clunk when compressing via the bars though? only klunks when compressed near the middle of the bike (but you can still see the forks compress the 5mm when the klunk happens)

as loco suggests it must be the fit cartridge needs a service as it still wont lock out fully either

now do i spend a £100 for a full on service or just put the £100 towards some new revs and sell mine as they are in need of a service for a bit of cash?!?! could just have the damper done cheaper on its own for £40 but no idea how to take it apart to send in seperately 🙁

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Fox fork problem – clunking?!?’ is closed to new replies.