Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Fox fork oil 10w green / red ?
  • rotary
    Free Member

i know the question has been asked before and after some research it appears that the Fox 10w red fork oil is similar to or the same as Silkolene rsf pro 10w fork oil.

my question is, has anyone identified what the Fox 10w Green is or similar to?

Has anyone got any suggestion as to what oil i should use in the lowers (Fox 36 van rc2 2010)?

i’m aware that the Silkolene rsf is good for the Rc2 damper but not for lower lubrication

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Whatever weight of oil it says on the bottle at the motorbike shop normally. Never too bothered about colour matching my oils

strike
    Free Member

The Green oil is rebranded Torco RSF Medium, AFAIK. By the time you’ve tracked down the Torco oil and paid postage, you’re just as well to buy the Green Fox oil.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Actually, if it’s just the lubricating oil in the lowers with no damping duties, I just use motorcycle engine oil. Seems to cling to the bearings a bit better and it’s cheaper. I also put 50ml rather than 30ml in each leg.

rotary
    Free Member

Great info! just what i was looking for thanks.

Klunk
    Free Member

isn’t the medium the same as fox red ? And I thought the green was bespoke by Torco just for Fox.

rotary
    Free Member

ok just to confuse, why can i not just use fox 10w red for the lowers too as the difference in viscosity between red and green is minimal @40 degrees. how warm does fork oil actually get? or am i missing something!

Fox Suspension Fluid (red) 10wt. 47.36 @40, 15.69@100 degrees

Fox Suspension Fluid (green) 10wt. 47.00 @40, 11.7@100 degrees

Onzadog
    Free Member

For the “slopping around in the lowers” stuff you can use pretty much anything. I use motorcycle engine oil as it’s cheaper and clings better. I can then save the more expensive silkolene stuff for the damper.

rotary
    Free Member

got ya, thanks 🙂

strike
    Free Member

Silkolene Pro RSF isn’t very good at lubrication (the additive to boost the Viscosity Index ie make the oil stable at high temps, degrades the lubricity of the oil).

LoCo
    Free Member

Any ‘big name’ Fully synthetic oil such as Motul, Castrol, silkonlene e.t.c 10wt will be fine for lubrication and damping.
    We use Motul Factoryline, which is IMO the best quality available without being really exspensive.

rotary
    Free Member

so LoCo you use the motul 10w in the sealed rc2 damper aswell?

thanks for the feedback everyone

LoCo
    Free Member

Depends on weight of rider but yes generally.

rotary
    Free Member

thanks 😀

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Depends on weight of rider but yes generally.

Eh?

Surely it completely depends on the weight of the rider and how much spring they are running?

glenh
    Free Member

Yep, for bushing lubrication, fully synth engine oil every time imo.

I wouldn’t use it for a damper, but then I’m not very heavy and engine oil isn’t thin enough.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Fox fork oil 10w green / red ?’ is closed to new replies.