• This topic has 4,478 replies, 425 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,961 through 2,000 (of 4,479 total)
  • Forum Update
  • RustySpanner

The font is ok.

The colour of text makes it harder to read.

Deliberately done to draw your eye to the adverts? Cynical, but I’d bet it’s true.

And the home page is 90% adverts as it is – staff recommendations, Fresh Goods Friday, advertorials, which bloody Saracen do I want to buy. All adverts.

The poll (which was there to gather info for advertisers) has disappeared again too. At least it was interesting.

I’m beginning to get the feeling we’re being taken for a ride. And not in a good way.

Cougar

@Northwind: Noted.  Desktop or mobile?

boxelder

I already follow STW on FB (and premier/subscriber) – could it be set to disappear for those who already follow it on FB and see the content there?

Northwind

“Cougar

@Northwind
    : Noted. Desktop or mobile?”

Desktop ta

aracer
    Free Member

Northwind wrote:

It is, but “how the old forum was” isn’t the target. Basically I have 3 areas of the screen right now which are roughly equal size. This one that I’m typing in, the box above with other people’s posts, and the “follow us” etc box. (And quite a lot of white space). One of these things is not like the other- if you’re doing a big post with photos etc like a for sale, or you’re Junkyard and you’re posting 30 quotes and 2 graphs, then a bigger typing box is useful. If you’re reading back over other people’s posts while Big Hitting,(yes some of us do read the other posts before replying) then a bigger box above of other posts is useful. Follow us? **** all use at this point but has 1/3rd of the real estate. This is a big screen but the actual working space with this forum is small., 100-150 words or so?
    To be fair that’s partly because of all the white borders etc, if the screen was generally more efficiently used it’d mitigate it a lot. Or if all the fluff went away when you’re typing a response, so it’s there when viewing?
    I think the other thing is, it’s fairly distracting- lots of colours and images and things on an otherwise plain page

Interesting comments. I’m currently typing on a page which looks just like the old forum, with the sidebar bit gone and the posts centred on the page with white space both sides. That was my first instinct on how to style it. I have to say that just losing the sidebar is a big improvement – losing all that bright colour makes the new text colour far less of an issue (I’m actually quite liking the softer tone). Though I did wonder about making it full width, and I think I’m convinced by your arguments. Apologies – as always anything I’m doing here will only benefit people browsing with Chrome on desktop.

JoeG
    Free Member

I agree with much of the protest over the “Follow Us” taking 1/3 of  the page. But my guess is that it is here to stay.

I subscribe, so get the articles in the mag. I usually go to the website daily, too. (Bring back the poll!!!) I don’t do Facething at all, so can’t “like’ anything even if I wanted to. But I’m probably not the typical user.

However, my eyes are already adjusting and the “Follow Us” thing is getting tuned out!

And thanks for fixing the thread title in the browser tabs! I can now go to the tab that I want…

aracer
    Free Member

Hmm, well full width seems strange – but you know what, it’s better.

The thing is, what I’m doing here isn’t rocket science – for anybody who knows how to inject javascript/jquery into other browsers the code is:

$('.dt_sidebar').remove(); // remove sidebar
    $('.dt_content').removeClass('col-md-8'); // remove width: 66.66666667%; styling
    $('.dt_content').addClass('col-md-12'); // add width: 100%; styling

(strangely the last line actually makes it slightly narrower than without that!)

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Finding the new colours and font very hard to read, it’s already making my eyes hurt and I’ve only read 3 or 4 pages. Finding the background with the tiled ST logo a bit distracting and there’s a huge amount of wasted space imo, why are is the actual content constrained so much?

I know change is hard to take sometimes,  and somethings are an improvement like the new top bar, but others don’t seem to add much.

somafunk

Well done for managing to sort out the issues, But……..but as a subscriber (since issue 1) will you please ditch that bloody annoying eye catching FOLLOW US for the Facebook advert over there ————–> , I don’t have/use/need facebook and having a large advert in my line of sight when viewing the forum is very distracting.  One more thing, the bright white background is really tiresome on the eyes so change that i’ll stop moaning…..for now anyway.

sbob
    Free Member

the whole site is slower than a slow day in a Vegan Only cafe in the Scottish Highlands

Well I found it funny…

sbob
    Free Member

Who do I sue for that seizure inducing Aaron’s bikes advert?

Do you not screen them?

milky1980
    Free Member

Wow, the desktop version is hard to read.  So much contrast between the white background, the ‘Follow Us’ sidebar ad and the text.  Strangely the text as I’m typing it is fine as it’s slightly darker and more compact.

We’re getting there.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

WTF is the facebook thing doing taking over a third of the screen. The golden goose has surely heard its own eulogy read this time.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Ha ‘CTRL +’ got rid of that shite. Win 10 and Firefox.

whitestone
    Free Member

I don’t know about the browsers on Android devices but for Safari on iPad & iPhone if you double tap in the posts “column” then it expands to the full screen width. This is a feature of the browser not STW and works for any block element on a web page. Much better than trying to pinch zoom.

The only downside is that you have to do it on every new page.

teethgrinder

Still no buttons.

darrell
    Free Member

I totally agree about ditching that bl00dy awful faceache book Like Us Follow Us advert

It’s intrusive and whilst I’m still a subscriber and have a P I object to it’s presence

senorj

The colour has changed and it’s now as slow as a box mangle on my phone & at work. Zoot alors!
    I find the face book ADVERT quite distracting too.

darrell
    Free Member

and it’s just taken about 30 seconds for the reply to actually post to the forum

pdw
    Free Member

https://www.singletrackworld.com is serving an SSL certificate which expired at the end of 2017.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/ (non secure) is redirecting to http://singletrackworld.com and then to https://singletrackworld.com which has a valid cert so that’s OK, but if you’ve got https://www.singletrackworld.com bookmarked for the site you get a certificate error:

stayhigh

@uphillcursing: CTRL + works on Chrome too.

Which is nice as now I don’t feel eye raped by all the corporate whore wallpaper 😉

kayak23

Hate the ‘Follow Us’ box. I already do. I’m on the website and have seen the content on the homepage, so why do I have to click to an external app for links to articles that are on the website I was already on in the first place?

Why is the reply box the size of a modest family car on-screen? Can’t it just open up when you want to reply instead of always being there taunting and mocking you for being reply-less?

Getting back to overview is currently a pita. Little tickle scroll to bring up the header menu, click header menu, click ‘Forum’ option on slide in side menu….. Life’s too short for this additional first World problem… 🙂

richmars

Looks ok on a mobile version of Edge.

But why do I get an advert for Facebook? Isn’t that what the P is for?

mattsccm
    Free Member

Just realised that I cannot go from one area of the forum to another. I had the bikes section open and wanted to go to sales but had to click forum from the silly moving top row which then took me to bikes and chat which had the old selection at the top. Why not the ability to jump sections directly?

Klunk
    Free Member

another fun bug (firefox)…. the disappointed with the bossnut 2 thread theres a link halfway down if you right click on the link and select Open Link in New window you get the window but the original window also goes there too 🙂

PiknMix
    Free Member

As others have said, the FB thing is a P take. Please give us the option of disabling it.

mattsccm
    Free Member

I think we must be fair though. I’ll not comment on the technical reason why such and such happens. We know that this forums ,main purpose has to be a promotion of the magazine plus drawing in revenue from advertising. To pretend otherwise is rather hopeful. The creators and owners of this forum would be stupid to do anything that reduces this income. If nice forum can happen without losing money then no doubt they will try but naturally profit comes first.

Of course the other issue is that computer  stuff is always done by experts who have no sodding idea that those with less technical understanding or interest don’t like it. The moveable heading is a case in point. Its fashionable. Bugger the practicality.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I have all the text reply box buttons.

I love the font and colours thereof.

That double tap on the text when reading to get rid of the sidebars, is inspired !

I am loving the new clear design, it’s soooo much better.

Thanks Chaps.

richmars

I think everyone here understands the need for adverts.

But I was told if I signed up, I could turn them off. This is no longer true.

Where do I apply for a refund?

jimdubleyou

Ok, so I’m at work: FB is blocked, so all the FB side bar shows is a title and no content – which is fine.

FEATURE REQUEST: please can the FB side bar be disabled by premier users?

I’m currently zoomed to 150% to remove it, not sure what I dislike the most – wasted real estate at 100% or massive text at 150%…

Edit: Forcing a “mobile” serving of the page by changing the window ratio makes things better…

grenosteve
    Free Member

That facebook thing sucks, and premier users shouldn’t have to see it (Next thing you know it’ll be auto playing the videos like rubbish news sites).   It is quite hard to read with that background image…

That’s my only moan about the new forum.

DezB
    Free Member

Facebook “Follow Us” unanimously popular then! Good job the development of the site has given us that , a lovely ST logo wallpaper and a change of font style – just like all users were crying out for!

Nobody mentioned wanting to get back the “hover over thread to see who last posted”, “the forum activity link to go to the last thread you posted on” etc etc, (can’t even bloody remember … maybe that’s the hope!?) – so hey, leave those bits as they are. Good stuff.

Anybody want to join my forum yet? 😆

ps. Adblock used at home to block the feed I don’t want. Ta.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Dont really like the font either. Just sayin.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Not a fan of the font.

Looks pretty but not very friendly to the eye.

I get rid of the Facebook ad by reducing the window width.

And for everything else there is the usual work round solution: Pinkbike.

alexxx
    Free Member

typeface is horrible

line spacing is horrible

colours are ridiculously muted and hard to read.

login button changed to the other side of the screen

watermarked background is horrible and blurry.

Seriously wtf is going on with this place?!

Usability down massively…. looks like we have another “southerndownhill” on our hands.

MINDBLOWN

whitestone
    Free Member

The “hover over last posted link to see who it was who posted” might have been one of those things that got done that wasn’t compatible with everything else.

The FB thing is pointless, if it must be on the page then either as a banner beneath the header bar or, better, as part of a fat footer, where there’s a FB link anyway. The old version of the forum had links to STW features in the sidebar – much more relevant. Presumably these will be back once other parts of the system have been sorted out.

Cougar

The old version of the forum had links to STW features in the sidebar

I wonder idly, if the sidebar had links to featured STW content elsewhere on the site rather than featured STW content on Facebook, would there be the same level of malcontent?

Cougar

login button changed to the other side of the screen

Seriously?

Murray

The font is great and I like the colour – thanks!

ransos
    Free Member

It’s harder to read, on my phone and on my desktop. Another Great Leap Backwards.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,961 through 2,000 (of 4,479 total)

The topic ‘Forum Update’ is closed to new replies.