Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • forks for commute
  • marco
    Free Member

Hi all
    I am wanting to swap my front suspension forks on my h/tail to something lighter (rigid) with disc mounts for commuting. Can’t afford new carbon forks so wondering what other options are available? bear in mind i just bougt a new full sus bike so missus wont let me spend too much!!
    Cheers

philjunior
    Free Member

How much is not much?

Second hand carbon forks, new steel forks or second hand steel forks would appear to be your other options. 😛

richcc
    Free Member

What size forks/wheels? Cotic roadhog seem good but not sure how they’d work with 26″ wheels

Onzadog
    Free Member

Kona Project 2 should fit the bill for most things. They also do a 700c version if you want to play around with the geometry.

marco
    Free Member

26″ wheels and no more than £50 really.
    Cheers for the quick replies

zaskar
    Free Member

Loads of steel options new.

(A friend bought a set of steel forks for a £1 in a jumble-so hunt around.)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

remember that the only difference between 26″ and 700c is tire clearance and brake mounts, unless is suspension corrected they’ll be the same height.

marco
    Free Member

what sort of wight for a steel option?

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

If you’re worried about weight (and I would not be on a commuter) you can hunt out some triple butted steel ones from back in the day, or get some alloy ones, which will be lighter, but pretty harsh to ride compared to most steel forks.

Personally, depending on wheel size, I’d look out some old steel forks with a roadie-esque bend in them, as these are super comfy compared to straight tubed P2s for commuting, though P2s undoubtably handle better off road.

BoardinBob
    mk1fan
    Free Member

Weight? Lighter that a suspension fork. Are you sure you should using electrical equipment?

Cotic Rodhog’s are excellent. I have a set on my Inbred (running 700c wheels) and they ride really well. They are flexible – which is good for damping road buzz – but some maynot like this.

The IS mount is on the wrong side and you need to invert the mount and shim the calliper to get it to fit. However this means you can fit a proper mudguard without fouling the brake.

The only other thing is the 400mm a-c height. A bit short this – even for an 80mm travel HT. It would be great if they offered it in longer a-c heights.

Other than that Project II from Kona or On One Superlights are good.

marco
    Free Member

Cheers everyone.
    Your input is much appreciated

thomthumb
    Free Member

check ebay

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

700c forks have a different ‘trail’ or offset something i think?? might make a big difference if you’re running very thin slicks.

Handsome dog one here for 30 quid with disc mounts, http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/0372.html

mk1fan
    Free Member

Now they would be heavy!

I run a 700c wheel in the Roadhog forks without issue (they’re for 26inch wheels).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘forks for commute’ is closed to new replies.