Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Fork to replace RS Sektor Air (not RS)
  • chestercopperpot
    Free Member

I’m finished with RS forks, the Sektor was not up to the job despite the rave reviews.

So what’s a reliable Air fork with 140-150mm travel? if any! that don’t require remortgaging my house. Is it even possible or are my outrageous expectations of something not falling apart after 6 months beyond the pale 😆

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Does it get rave reviews? Thought it was a decent mid level fork but that’s about it..?

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Rave reviews for middle of the range value for money, not outright performance.

Nothing on longevity which from my experience is shite.

What would you suggest howsyourdad1?

chestrockwell

I certainley was not blown away by my old Sektors.

Have a look at DT Swiss. The pair of 140mm XMM’s I had were the best fork I’ve ever had. Lovely.

GHill

X-Fusion Slant.

mattbee

X Fusion Slant are ime a way better fork than Sektor.

Northwind

What have the Sektors actually done to let you down? Might influence the answer- if you’ve just ridden them too hard frinstance. Longevity of an adequately cared for Rockshox is at least on a par with all the competition.

devash
    Free Member

X-Fusion or Manitou for the money.

scandal42
    Free Member

After having issues with every single air fork I’ve ever owned I purchased a pair of Dual position Coil Sektors, utterly reliable and makes me not want the hassle of an air fork again.

Sadly they don’t do them in 27.5 or 29 so when the time comes I might have to go back.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Those Slants seem a similar spec, broader stanchions, tick most of the boxes.

Will most likely go for them, cheers 🙂

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

@Northwind can’t wait to have a debate over what constitutes “ridden too hard” and “adequately cared for” given it’s a long travel fork……oh hang on a min what is the correct definition of long travel? this could be fun so much fun.

Northwind

OK, but do you see my point? Nobody can really make a sensible recommendation for an upgrade, unless they know what you found wrong with the Sektors. First thing is to know what you want to change

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Long term reliability, longer than 6 months.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Beyond the warranty period.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Is it possible or do I live in utopia dream world with unicorns.

Northwind

Course it’s possible- but also, anything can break. I don’t think there’s anything fundamentally wrong with the air sektor chassis or major parts- certainly nothing fundamentally wrong with most rockshox that should cause you recurring reliability issues… Honestly I don’t think you’ll find another brand that makes a big difference on that. My Revs are 2010 models, sure they’ve needed some work but that’s a good innings.

What actually went wrong with the sektors? Not strong enough, or an internal failure?

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

I know it’s possible thats why RS/SRAM will get no more money from me ever, unless they become a monopoly!

So your recommendations then (really important to me honestly) other than SRAM/RS of course? I know your Revs are totes amazeballs.

ste_t
    Free Member

Idea of your actual budget would be handy. Using ‘mortgage’ as a guide isn’t useful, some people have Bos houses, some have Bso houses.

As would an idea of what actually went wrong with the sectors? What issues have you had with Rockshox forks previously to put you off them for good now?

Do you need straight steerer or tapered? This could affect what options you have as not too many seem to be out there with 1 1/8th steerer.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Fox 34 140mm travel under £400 at CRC . Pretty shit forks IMO but then you seem to want to rant rather than actually get a solution to whatever problem you have had ,

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

If what you want most is reliability, surely you want some Marzocchi forks? Are they available in the spec you require?

br
    Free Member

Long term reliability, longer than 6 months.

Depends on how you clean/service them, as any fork ridden lots in crap conditions will quickly ‘suffer’.

FWIW I’ve both Fox and RS (and have had Magura), they all need looking after. Given a choice though, the last 3 sets of forks I’ve bought have all been RS.

And if you need a tapered fork, then the new Pike is brilliant.

scandal42
    Free Member

So, what actually went wrong with them.

Im so excited to find out

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Fork to replace RS Sektor Air (not RS)’ is closed to new replies.