Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Fork cork
  • docgeoffyjones

Anyone know of a cheaper alternative, or created a DIY one? £27 pounds seems very steep for what it is.

hols2
    Free Member

andyr
    Free Member

How about… oh, I dunno… an actual piece of cork? Maybe not that reusable though.

docgeoffyjones

How about… oh, I dunno… an actual piece of cork? Maybe not that reusable though.

I am planning on storing some tools/co2 in there, not sure if a piece of cork will hold them in.

I had a look at that DIY one but could not find the plug bit he started with

scruff9252

Google “Drain test plug” a number of potentials come up.

nixie

That DIY version looks like a bodge.

brant
    Free Member

Does the fork not bottom the tyre nearly to the crown?

nixie

Would have thought it gets quite close. Hence the real one being slightly recessed.

monkeyboyjc

I’ve got one as I couldn’t find a bodge version I’d trust, or be bothered enough to spend hours making one myself.
    OK, it’s relatively expensive for what it is, but it’s machined well and does the job very well.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve got the real think, one on each bike actually. They work well and I don’t think anyone is going to become a millionaire off the back of them.

Having seen that “hack” I’m even more convinced the real thing is worth the money.

mattbee

I store a small Topeak carbon pump in my steerer, just a section of ESI grip on it holds it in place nicely and then some tape over the hole to shield it from the muck.

docgeoffyjones

Having seen that “hack” I’m even more convinced the real thing is worth the money.

That hack is an alright idea just executed really really badly.

whitestone
    Free Member

I’ve got one and as above, it’s expensive but it’s quite niche and as @Onzadog says – the maker is unlikely to be retiring off the proceeds.

nixie

Using @mattbee’s idea around the pump a circle of plastic on a bit of bungee cord tied to the SFN could work.

wzzzz
    Free Member

What you need is a crud-plug circa 1992

epicyclo

I use a star nut and a headset cap

Onzadog
    Free Member

Doesn’t the star nut make it tricky to get the CO2 cartridge out?

hudders
    Free Member

Hi guys, Mark here from Gone Biking Mad,
    I’m the one responsible for bringing Fork Corks to the UK. Sorry to those that think its to expensive for what it is, but it really is a very well made and thought out bit of kit. About the retail, as much as I would love for it to sell for less right now I’m doing what I can to keep it from going up to £29.99, such is the state of the exchange rate right now, today its $1.25 to the £1.
    Anyhow, for anyone going to Mountain Mayhem this weekend, I will be there so come and find me at the Gone Biking Mad & Nox Sox stand, you can have a closer look and test it out on your bike, and if you want one I have some special prices just for the event for all the products I import and our very own Nox Sox Pedal Covers. Please come and say hello, I’ll be manning the stand and will welcome you to come over for a chat about bikes, beer and well, anything really.

bruneep
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Fork cork’ is closed to new replies.