Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Forest of Bowland Routes ~ Gravel?
  • P20

We’re heading to the Forest of Bowland this weekend, thinking of taking the gravel bikes, though this is not set in stone. Any particular routes you’d recommend? We’ve got the lost lanes route which we will adapt (shorten!!!)
    Jack & Tasha

reggiegasket
    Free Member

the classic is Salter Fell.

Where will you be riding from?

mick_r

You might have to give us a clue where the lost lanes route actually goes so locals can advise…

Off the top of my head:-
    Various bridleways and forest gravel on Longridge Fell.
    Various farm track / grassy field bridleways on the plain between Longridge Fell and Chipping.
    “Green Lane” out the back of Chipping Saddle End to Lickhurst farms.
    Bridleway over Mellor Knoll but that is a bit more MTB.
    Tarmac BW north of Dunsop Bridge is nice but any of the BWs climbing out the head of the valley will involve pushing. And the descents really need an mtb.
    There is a new-ish concessionary BW running NW ish between Dunsop Bridge and Newton that skirts the fells (pops out on the loop back lane between Newton and Slaidburn).
    Hornby Road / Salter Fell.
    Various BWs Waddington Fell above Clitheroe / West Bradford.

continuity
    Free Member

I’d just take road bikes.

mick_r

Plenty of nice tracks, especially when it has been dry.

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

Salter Fell is great but difficult to create a loop without a fair bit of road riding. Bowland generally has very few bridleways. However….if you don’t mind cheeky, there are the shooters tracks to the west of Salter Fell that stretch towards Clougha Pike etc. Nice gravelly elevated trails that go for miles. The Abbeystead Estate staff don’t tend to be around much at weekends 😉

ElShalimo

The cafe in the garden centre at Wray used to be amazing

I’m not sure if it’s still open nowadays

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

Yes it was and still is: Bridge House Farm Tearooms. Great coffee and cakes and cyclist friendly.

ElShalimo

@P20 – make sure that your loop involves a stop at that cafe

Esme
    Free Member

We’ve done a bit of exploring in this area, and – as others have said – it’s really difficult to create an off-road loop.

Because we travelled from opposite directions, we were able to ride a linear route, linked by a car shuttle. So maybe your best bet would be to ride a couple of out-and-backs? At least the view will be completely different!

So that gives you:
    Salters Way, from Slaidburn
    BW from Chipping to west of Dunsop Bridge
    BW running north from Dunsop Bridge, and up onto the fells

crazy-legs

Good list from @mick_r above. As mentioned the classic is Salter Fell which starts here out the back of Slaidburn:

https://www.streetmap.co.uk/map?x=369297&y=455061&z=120&sv=369297,455061&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map&searchp=ids&dn=715&lm=0

Goes NW across the fells to pop out above Wray (for the garden centre cafe!) although there’s an option to turn off and do a dogleg to get over to the windfarm at Caton.

From Wray, go along to High Bentham and then over THIS ROAD which drops you into the back of Gisburn Forest. There’s loads of fireroad in there which is perfect for gravel bikes although personally I’d advise against trying the actual waymarked trails, they’re almost all too bumpy to be comfortable or enjoyable on a gravel bike!

B6478 back to Slaidburn.

ElShalimo

It’s worth a little detour on @crazy-legs route to see the Great Stone of Fourstones

mick_r

Crazy Legs – ever come over “that road” (Bowland Knotts) and hacked direct from the Knotts into the top of the forest? Think it would eventually bring you in on what becomes the fire road after Hully Gully.

crazy-legs

Crazy Legs – ever come over “that road” (Bowland Knotts) and hacked direct from the Knotts into the top of the forest? Think it would eventually bring you in on what becomes the fire road after Hully Gully.

I’ve only ever come into it via this junction.

https://www.streetmap.co.uk/map?x=373727&y=457199&z=120&sv=373727,457199&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map&searchp=ids&dn=715&lm=0

There are options to come out at either Cocklet Hill (the car park there) or Tosside itself. The singletrack from the cafe at Gisburn out to Cocklet is really nice on a gravel bike actually.

P20

Will have a proper read through this (on shift at the moment).
    staying near slaidburn. The lost lanes includes salters road but is mainly road.
    Love and appreciate a good cafe recommendation!!

crazy-legs

Love and appreciate a good cafe recommendation!!

Puddleducks in Dunsop Bridge (good bike racks, range of tools and if it’s chucking it down they’ll even put your kit in a tumble dryer while you eat!)
    Riverbank Tearooms in Slaidburn (just by the bridge over the river)
    Garden Centre one in Wray, already mentioned.
    The Hub at Gisburn Forest

And if you venture to the very western edge of the Trough, there’s a little village called Scorton which has a big cafe / farm shop place called The Barn at Scorton. It’s a hugely popular cyclist stop and has covered bike racks, track pump, basic tools and so on.

Just note that cafes/shops outside villages are few and far between, there is almost nothing out on the road. Churchyards are a good bet for outside taps if you need a water refill though.

whitestone
    Free Member

There’s also The Cobbled Corner in Chipping.

I wouldn’t do the BWs north of Dunsop Bridge on a gravel bike – I did the one over Middle Fell and the one over Dunsop Fell on my fat bike which felt the right bike for the job. They can be very boggy and even after a prolonged dry spell you’ll need to pick your line.

mick_r

Cobbled Corner in Chipping and Waddington Cafes have shut down but plenty of others.

Chipping farm shop has covered outside seating. Bashall Barn is the nearest to the steep / forest end of Longridge Fell.

From Slaidburn would definitely be looking at Salter Fell and either the Bowland Knotts (past Gisburn Forest) or Cross of Greet minor roads back with cafe stop at Wray. Pros and cons to doing it in either direction. On mtb would normally do Salter Fell on return as you are descending the rubbly bit. But that might be a push in either direction on a gravel bike. Apple pie with whippy ice cream on Slaidburn village green when finished 🙂

whitestone
    Free Member

Cobbled Corner in Chipping and Waddington Cafes have shut down

Didn’t know the Cobbled Corner had shut down – not that long ago I visited. I knew the café at Waddington had shut down, Feb last year I believe.

mick_r

Shut late last year. For sale / to let sign has gone so maybe something happening.

Looks like Puddleducks also for sale.

https://www.primelocation.com/for-sale/commercial/details/56402271/?search_identifier=12a2c946dcce8fc6256362b80f968ae5

BenjiM

Here’s my ride from Monday, it’s from my front door but can be changed a bit to suit. Depending on when you’re planning on riding I tend to go out early on a Sunday, if I go out. How far are you thinking of riding and for how long? I’ve a number of routes I can share. It’s dry on the fells so the going is easy.

https://www.strava.com/activities/5388817778

Puddleducks was open this afternoon when I went past.

BenjiM

@P20 Here’s the Gravel Rush Route from a few years ago – https://www.strava.com/routes/14877816

Other options Here – https://www.strava.com/routes/17282895

A warning on the track from Sykes, it’s a good firm ride up with a bit of a carry and then a very technical descent that is very exposed called Ouster Rake. Not for the easily put off, but it drops down into Dunsop Valley which is a lovely cruise to Dunsop Bridge and Puddleducks.

Caveat: I’ve done all routes on Hard Tail, Full Sus and Crossbike with 33mm tires. Depends how challenging you want it to be 😉

BenjiM

@mickr That corner was used as access for home baked when we were building it. You can follow the track straight on or turn right at a “gap” this brings you out at the top of the home baked climb/descent. There’s lot’s of tracks in Gisburn that can be used other than the 8.

mick_r

Ouster Rake = eroded cliff top sheep track 🙂 I’ve not ridden that without dabbing (OK walking) since I was a stupid teenager. Lovely place though.

Some good routes there BenjiM. The off road 90 route shows the new bit of Bridleway NE of Dunsop Bridge – just bought a new custom centred 1:25k map of round there and it still isn’t marked.

mick_r

Re Gisburn – yeah, I remember all the old NAMBS courses in the trees up top.

I’m meaning shhh full cheeky trail, following the wall east from the Knotts rocks right into the very top of the forest. Might walk it sometime….

lowey

@mick_r whats your advise re getting up onto Parlick and Fair Snape ? Is it a big no no on the bike or OK? I’m not averse to be bit of cheek but dont want to stray into an area where I could properly antagonise people ? Cheers

mick_r

Parlick – I’d say no but I’m a bit wary of cheeky if there is a sniff of conflict. Busy with walkers and paragliders. No bikes signs at all the prominent entry points. I believe people have had conflict with someone (gamekeeper?) near Wolfen Hall. However it is all open access land and there are some nice contouring tracks – just a 3 peaks cx carry to get up to them 🙂

Talking of access – anyone know the score around Stocks reservoir? It is a major gap in joining the bridleways to the forest, and there is one of those classic bw that stops dead in the middle of nowhere. I remember talk of making a link in the early days of the bike trails but nothing since.

rubymurry
    Free Member

I’ve got a 60miler route from Slaidburn you can have .gpx – great circular route – PM me

P20

Thanks all. We did crazylegs route. Cracking day for it and by far the biggest ride we’ve done for quite some time. Beautiful and unbelievably quiet. Tired legs mean tomorrow is probably a walk

BenjiM

Great day for it. It’s usually quiet up there, simply because it’s so remote, once you’re committed there’s not much in the way of an escape route!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Forest of Bowland Routes ~ Gravel?’ is closed to new replies.