Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 134 total)
  • For those of us over 40…….
  • andy8442
    Free Member

My favourite trousers have an elasticated waist. There I’ve said it.

samunkim
    Free Member

Spending all last sunday building a bigger & bigger table top jump. Still ache across the shoulders now

stewartc
    Free Member

I realized the other day that I have a specific shirt I always wear on the odd occasions I go out for a social night out, it is my only casual shirt.

pondo

On holiday and doing lots of walking and it’s made my pelvis hurt and my legs ache and my feet hurt. 🙁

globalti
    Free Member

I’m 60 this month and I’m massively fitter than when I was 30.

But tinnitus is annoying and the occasional need to get up in the night for a tinkle. The rest works OK; still got a 32″ waist and can easily get a foot up onto the basin to cut my nails.

senorj

My 3.5 year old reminds me daily that we should have had him when I was 30! ha.

badllama
    Free Member

Good grief people at 44 im fitter than i was inmy 30’s my knee plays up now and again at it take longer to recover from a good sesion. But apart from that i feel great and id still sleep with a 20 odd year old if the opertunaty arose 😉

nickc

me an badllama…

in my 40s I’m fitter than I’v ever have been, worn glasses all my life, that doesn’t bother me, nothing hurts. the same belt that was on the last notch when I bought it in my twenties, is still on the last notch. Just got up from a full night’s sleep.and was in a relationship a couple of years ago with a woman 15 years younger than me.

what have you been doing? 😆

flintstones
    Free Member

The realization that interns are closer to your sons age than your own.
    From the perspective of a woman, they are not being ‘eyed up’ but being letched at!

mooman
    Free Member

Having to remind myself I am 45 when talking to a 25yr old woman.

vickypea
    Free Member

Maybe those of you who are wonderfully pain-free and “fitter than ever” in your 40s and 50s didn’t do as much as some of us when you were younger? Or just lucky?
    I did gymnastics 4x a week from the age of 8 to 16, cross country running, fell walking, and kayaking as a teenager. Then in my 20s: running, squash, and 5-a-side football, and commuted by bike to work. In my 30s: running, circuit training, spinning classes 3x a week, and 5-a-side football until I got pregnant at 36. All of that was while putting up with serious pain in my lower back.
    I had to stop running at 40 because of my back, but I took up mountain biking and road biking and am still doing them. I can still do road rides of 100-mile+.

rocketman
    Free Member

Blimey some of you lot are in a right state

What have you been doing

nickc

Or just lucky?

you know, I don’t really drink, don’t smoke, I’m a veggie, and I’ve been cycling and running pretty much continually since my twenties.

to mangle a quote, “the more I look after myself, the luckier I get”.

willard

Mostly it’s the minor injuries taking longer and longer to go away and just generally taking longer to recover from exercise. It’s also things like the general level of tiredness every day and it’s certainly the hangovers taking longer to go away (hence the ‘not drinking any more’ thing).

Being morbid, it’s also seeing more and more people I know dying. You keep wondering when it will be your turn and what will you get hit with. That might be the biggest reason I watch what I eat, don’t smoke, don’t drink and exercise a lot.

Oddly, I’ve found that my risk appetite for things has increased a lot in the last five/six years, so I am more likely to do stupid things now than at 35. Maybe it’s a response to all those heart attacks I’ve known people die of… Wanting my end to be _not_ something random, but something of my choosing. No idea really.

Coyote
    Free Member

Eyes changing are the main thing. Must get them tested.

Enjoy the gym 3 to 4 sessions a week and run once a week. As long as I get enough sleep then recovery doesn’t seem to be a problem. Getting enough sleep however is the problem.

50 this year but chronological age is just a number. I know some younger than me who are in an awful state and some older who are still doing what they like doing when they feel like going it.

MoreCashThanDash

After 20 years in gyms ended in my mid 30s, 13 years on I’m aerobically fitter than I’ve ever been and 2 stone lighter than when I got married. Rode my first sportive on my 40th birthday.

Signs of getting older? Well, I prefer audax to sportives, and gravel to rocky trail centres.

My lower back is wrecked from an old powerlifting injury, and my osteopath is now a good friend. Injuries take longer to heal, mysterious aches and pains come and go, alcohol and/or late nights are just too hard to recover from.

Sex is an occasional treat when we are both in the mood. And awake.

A mate had to point out that technically an attractive lady 25 years our junior can no longer be referred to as jailbait. By some distance!

But the 15-18 year old young ladies that my 13 year old son will be going on a music tour with in the summer definitely are.

Looking forward to some improvements in the three years till I’m 50. A few pounds of weight to lose, a bit of gym work to develop more core strength and flexibility.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Im basically ok, I think.
    Slightly fatter, and not particularly fit at the moment.
    I think the worst thing is hangovers now. Jesus, more than 4 pints and Im completely destroyed the next day.

binners

Another super power I’ve developed is that after 10 o clock at night I can fall asleep literally mid-sentence.

fd3chris
    Free Member

One thing this thread has shown me is how many of us at this age group are still avid bikers. 🙂

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Hangovers last longer
    Getting up in the night and longer wees
    Thinking that 26″ wheels will see me out.

But enjoying life more than ever

jambalaya
    Free Member

@vickyp when I was younger (13-25) I plalyed a lot of competitive sports to a reasonable level and am in no way fitter now (53). Biking is different as its more endurance which I’ve always been poor at, when I started mtb-ing in my mid 40’s my 60yr old neighbour was fitter than me. I have no doubt my fitness was far superior at 20 than now but its possible to get to a decent level of endurance in your later mid years.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Thinking that 26″ wheels will see me out.

🙂
    Like many clothes in my wardrobe 26 wheels will be the new thing before my bikes are worn out

globalti
    Free Member

For my 60th birthday I’m holding an informal bike race at the Stephen Burke cycle track for me and about 12-15 of my cycling friends. It’s an important indication of how I intend to continue the rest of my life, God willing. We will have a coach/marshall and a training session followed by the race then we will ride over Pendle Great End to Downham where a cafe owner is laying on a barrel of Bowland Gold and a slap-up roast dinner for us all.

vickypea
    Free Member

Nickc- like you, I’ve never smoked, I don’t drink, I eat healthily, and have kept fit all my life, so maybe some people are lucky. 😉

Alex

Nickc- like you, I’ve never smoked, I don’t drink, I eat healthily, and have kept fit all my life, so maybe some people are lucky.

For balance, Nick does look likes he’s had a hard paper round 🙂

I recognise many of ^^ those things. On the upside, can do so much more because new Asthma drugs developed early in this century are SO much better than what came before.

The eating less to stay the same weight tho? That’s so true. And damn unfair!

tomhoward

Fear not, y’all ageing folk. I can identify with most of the issues and ailments here and I turned 31 two weeks ago….

bikebouy
    Free Member

vickypea – Member
    Maybe those of you who are wonderfully pain-free and “fitter than ever” in your 40s and 50s didn’t do as much as some of us when you were younger? Or just lucky?

Ohhh, No. I’ve been competitive in sport all my life. Sad as it seems I once was a semi-pro roadie, t’was a long time ago now though. Then very high (World Champs level, trialed for the Olys in a Laser but failed) sailing and been windsurfing all my waking hours too, then theres the kitesurfing/paddleboarding..

Nope, only eat pretty healthy, drink little (1 pint a week, maybe 1 GnT/VnT) still have a couple of vices but now’t serious enough to complain about.

Fit as a butchers dog, proven by hospital visits last year for a stomach problem, whereby the Doc’s were concerned by heart was beating too slow and thought I was having a heart attack.. until I told them my sports related history..

Glasses, damn the things… 🙄

growinglad
    Free Member

Anyone mentioned Prostate??

I thought a PSA would suffice….no says my female Dr with long fingers….I’d like to do a physical exam….Christ, I spent the morning sitting very quietly at my desk feeling violated!

Thankfully a little pill daily has sorted me reet out!

allan23
    Free Member

Looking at all those tired and late night wee comments I’d be thinking about sugar checks at the GP.

I got my shock a few years ago. Wasn’t vastly overweight or unhealthy. Had a desk job where I was sat on my arse several hours a day.

Got a sugar check from the docs as I was getting really tired and getting up during the night. Sugar levels were sky high and I’m now on a cocktail of drugs for diabetes.

Crap pancreas is the source of most of my problems but I’m still healthier than if I just sat on the sofa. If I’ve learned one thing about diabetes, it’s a little more complicated than being fat and lazy. It’s not just sugar, I ate shed loads of rice and pasta which probably didn’t do me much good.

footflaps

Having to watch what I eat

+1

I am in a never ending battle to keep within 34″ trousers….

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

I work for a “certain” emergency service…we have had new guys turn up and I am the same age as their dads.
    FFS when did I become the old grumpy bugger ( or experienced font of knowledge as I prefer)

footflaps

Another super power I’ve developed is that after 10 o clock at night I can fall asleep literally mid-sentence.

I’m impressed you stay up that late!

slowoldman

Yes I’m finding “a solid 8 hours a night” just isn’t enough these days. I’m aiming for 9:30 tonight.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

As I am getting older I seem to need less sleep…?

Can go to bed later and wake up quicker than I used too.

That of course might have something to do with trying to have a little snooze at any given time of day, when I get the chance

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

I feel a lot better having read all that. My main issue is that I, as I have always done, don’t move around much in my sleep. This means that nowadays I end up very stiff in the morning where as I used just spring up and not even notice.

I don’t get the whole weeing in the night thing even after being the pub.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I wonder what % of us are over 40? It’s a lot more than I thought going by this thread .

bikebouy
    Free Member

Me, I’m over 40.

So thats one then..

bakey

Bloody reading glasses, receding/greying hair and injury/training recovery time…

Other than that, I’m the same weight as I was when I was 27 (52 now), although I went a period being 3 stone heavier! Played sport all my life rugby, sailing, cycling, motorcycle enduro, and taekwondo and now taken up competitive weightlifting again. Heavy squats have fixed my sore knee problem.

Gave up smoking 6 years ago (still chew the gum, alas) and I love proper beer and red wine.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’m ‘only’ 37 (or possibly 38, I forget which), but I’m getting the odd hint from the universe I won’t be ‘young’ for much longer. Physically I’m better now than I was 10 years ago, I’m fitter and stronger – but my arms are ruined from injuries – can’t blame the clock for that though.

The things that have hit me though:

More by luck than judgement I’ve always been one of the youngest, if not the youngest person whenever I’ve worked, but the other week it was remarked that I’m now only 18 months younger than the young Lad at work’s Dad, and when I mentioned the word “photocopier” to him, he didn’t have a clue what I meant – not one, because who in 2016 actually makes hard copies of hard copies, it’s just not done – it’s a 3-in-1 or just a “printer” to young people these days, at first I thought he was insane, but when I thought about it, it’s me who’s out of touch – “scan to print” they call photocopying these days, and apparently only solicitors do it – the default solution these days to making more hard copies of documents is just print more, photocopying – Alien concept, and rightly so – it’s just wrong.

I’m currently older than all the drivers on the F1 grid, all the riders on the MotoGP Grid and when Peaty retires at the end of the year I’ll be older than all the riders on the WC circuit too.

With all my Grandparents now passed, I’m only 1 generation away from being the eldest in my Family, Mum was 60 a few days ago, which is the water-mark for ‘old’ in my head.

When I see pictures of me, I find myself wondering if I’m a bit under the weather, I look a bit rough, turns out it’s the years, not a cold.

The one that really catches me out though, the one thing that really makes me notice the passage of time! Films, TV and Music!

I was moaning the other day about the “current fascination with Comic Book Films” and how Hollywood has run out of ideas – I mean they’re remaking Spiderman again – I’m sure Toby Maguire is only about 30 and made his first one about 6-7 years ago, but it seems not – his first one came out 14 years ago and Toby’s 40! If that was on TV tonight I’d have said it was pretty new! Oh and they made another series of them in between those and the one coming out soon and the rest:

The Inbetweeners – 8 years old.
    Gavin and Stacy – 9 years old.
    The Wire – 14 years old.
    Entourage – 12 years old.

How can that lot be so old, the Inbetweeners FFS, that’s last week, not the thick end of a decade ago!

When Ronnie Corbett passed away recently, I was staggered to find out Ronnie Barker passed over 10 years ago – I swear it was 3 years at the most!

The worse, though, the absolute worse is music – when I was a teenager, I kind of liked most things Radio 1 played, when I was a teenager and my tastes matured I disliked ‘pop’ but liked most other things, in my 30s I just moaned that R1 only played ‘Pop’ and little ‘proper music’ these days, it was only recently, very recently that whilst I do still like some current* stuff, mostly I hate it and it’s not just because Radio 1 played ‘Pop’ made for teenagers, but the ‘real music’ they play has also passed me by. I’m officially too old for Radio 1, and if I was honest I was 5 years ago, for 30 years it’s be my default choice on the first button on the radio, but for at least 5, if not 10 years I’ve put it on, they’ve played some music and I’ve said “not this shit” and gone for something else – usually my MP3 player, which means I’ve not heard any new music in ages – my musical palette is complete – closed if you will, not much new will ever go in. Even the “current” stuff in my Apple Music is 4-5 years old at best, the ‘new’ bands I like, like Kings of Leon, the Killers and Mark Ronson are actually all 10 years old at least. (I do like James Bay though).

I can’t deny it any longer, I’m holding onto ‘young’ with the skin of my teeth – it’s middle age for me soon, and whilst I’ll never being “boring and middle aged” I’ve reached the point when pretending to be young just looks desperate and embarrassing.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Can’t burn the candle at both ends any more
    The 30″ waist is long gone
    Old lower back injury that easily reminds me of its existence!
    It gets harder to “get back on the horse” after accidents
    Drop bar, rim-braked bikes suddenly feel very unsafe! 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 134 total)

The topic ‘For those of us over 40…….’ is closed to new replies.