Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 134 total)
  • For those of us over 40…….
  • onewheelgood

By STM’s definitions, I’m old. I still fall off my bikes far too often, and the damage takes so long to repair that I’m always carrying multiple injuries, and spending a lot of money on physios and osteopaths. I can’t get out of a chair without making an old man noise. Journey planning involves identifying possible opportunities for a leak.

footflaps

Recovery from exercise, really annoying as I’d quite happily train hard every day if my body could take it.

On the plus side I’m probably stronger and more flexible than I’ve ever been.

CheesybeanZ

Being constantly tired from pain the arthritis in my neck causes plus the nerve damage in my shoulder means pushing or lifting anything higher than shoulder level is knackering .
    In fairness my bodys had some stick – martial arts , wieght training , being a hod carrier , motorbike car mtb and ski crashes haven’t helped . At 53 some days I feel closer to 80 .

slowoldman

Knees. Definitely the pain in the knees

Same here. Painful going up and down, stiffness in back of knees. Starting to resort to trekking poles. I blame skiing. Otherwise for an over 60, not too bad.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Saying goodbye to people.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

My right thumb sounding like a gunshot every time I bend it.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Realising all the TV and film stars and heroes from childhood are now dead or dying.

Injuries taking longer to heal I don’t notice so much as it’s only with age I’ve started becoming more reckless and getting injuries 😀

Starting to find I can’t stuff my gut without it having repercussions.

Reading glasses time and realisation that things are fixed in time and you can’t do anything to stop it. Mortality becomes far more of a reality. Still, just something to deal with and enjoy the 2nd half of life as much as I can (though if life expectancy increases further then maybe have a bit more time, assuming not the C word or I kill myself on the bike, which I keep trying to do).

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Yoot of today taking legal highs

Which aren’t exactly ‘legal’ or ‘illegal’, & quite often don’t get you high but do often require an ambulance/paramedic/hospital.

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Still trying to chase 20 somethings round a five a side pitch twice a week. It feels like it gets tougher each week

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Sight now going downhill fast. Getting into that stupid glasses on the end of the nose thing in meetings.
    Not being invited on works nights out (may not be my age).
    Recovery from injury taking longer – although can’t say that I’ve noticed that for cuts and scrapes, just muscle and ligament stuff – even breaking my arm in the summer didn’t take particularly long to heal.
    At least ten years older than everyone I ride with (although I also regard that as a good thing).
    But to add balance to this thread – fitter than I was in my thirties and looking forward to Enduro2 in the Alps this June. 53 btw.

deadkenny
    Free Member

deadkenny – Member
    Realising all the TV and film stars and heroes from childhood are now dead or dying.

add to that… or banged up for sex abuse.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Ha!!Terrible subject but I had to laugh at that. The other year one of my mates told us when he was a child he wrote to Jim’ll Fix It. 😀

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Need reading glasses to find elusive gorse thorns in tyre

Remember seeing “fork handles” live

poah
    Free Member

fart when running

vickypea
    Free Member

And then there’s having to exercise more or eat less year on year, to stay roughly the same weight 😐

Harry_the_Spider

Left knee and wrist are goosed, close up vision isn’t great and I get “The Fear” far more often when I ride my bike down anything even remotely technical.

Oh, and the farting thing that Binners mentioned… that too.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Bustaspoke – Member
    Ha!!Terrible subject but I had to laugh at that. The other year one of my mates told us when he was a child he wrote to Jim’ll Fix It.

Our family used to have the Jim’ll Fix It board game 😯

http://www.weirdretro.org.uk/they-fixed-for-jim-to-sell-anything.html

ThePinkster

Having team members at work who were born after Appetite for Destruction was released

And

Recovery time from injury, colds and standing up.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Involuntary sharts on steep climbs.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

In the words of James may just now on the tele

“that takes me back…. Like meeting a kid with mumphs”

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Playing grads’ golf v current student team and they weren’t born (even thought about) when you were a student!!

vickypea
    Free Member

Oh yes, and my wrist is wrecked. I was told that one of my forearm bones is longer than it should be and the only treatment would be to cut a slice out of the bone to shorten it. I declined that operation and now my wrist is fubared.

seanthesheap
    Free Member

Wow, a lot of you guys sound in a rough way, healing vibes all.

I’ve just turned 45, so far i’m not doing too bad, i suffer with my back off and on, but thats been the case since i was 18, i hurt it carrying a cast iron bath down some stairs. I get some problems with my feet sometimes which seems to be related to certain types of shoes, big or hard rides take a bit more recovery time, as does illness and some injuries. I feel a bit stiff first thing in the morning (not in a good way) but this soon passes. The old plumbing seems to be in full working order still. I don’t drink to get drunk anymore, i have never smoked, i have never played rugby or gone skiing, in my younger days i used to Kayak and rock climb and I’ve always liked walking, I’ve no idea if this as anything to do with my physical condition now though.

Edric64
    Free Member

Only wearing glasses for reading .I was already intolerant of most people .I still get pissed am still fit enough to do what I want just wish I could retire and do more cycling walking and drinking!!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

rock climbing – I remember that (just)

pennine
    Free Member

69 in 2 days: Last 10 years had cataracts sorted, torn cartilages in both knees repaired, arthritis in knees & gall bladder removed. Regular physio on back issue which is a big problem on long climbs (really slow!). Groan when getting up & visiting the loo during the night. Knees painful on descending when hillwalking.

Riding FS for last 15yrs but bought a 29er HT last year. Been riding that a lot lately. Even took it over Garburn a few weeks ago.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m in great shape, my only issue which pisses me off is wearing glasses to read.

I am surprised by the photos taken of me recently though, for some strange reason I think I look really old. But that’s only my POV, mates and such are being kind when they say they think I look young…but I don’t, I think I now look my age.

Greying hair, it’s another funny thing about me. Whilst not fully grey (yet) all folks say I look distinguished, but to me I look old.. but no way tempted to dye it, because I like the way it looks.

My teeth, wonky as a wonky thing due to a bad injury back in the early 00’s. I should, I really should get them fixed.

Then there’s the head of Ofcom, some sweet young slip of a girl holds the post. She’s been on TV, perfectly eloquent and cohesive. Damn, I’m not so sure I was like that at her age.

Other than those small issues, I’m still one sexy hunk of human male full of get up and go.. Never felt better fitness and psychologically wise, combine that with wit and aged charm and I’m one helluva catch.

Rock on, roll high.

sirromj

Getting angry because there’s no more originality in super hero fight scenes, they all look the same these days (Ant Man possibly the only exception).

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

my only issue which pisses me off is wearing glasses to read.

+1 I can accept most things that go with age, but have found glasses to read weirdly tough/depressing. Stupid I know…

on the plus side, cant be arsed with cheap wine. Lovely claret on the go right now….

househusband

My wife (a couple of years younger) finally acknowledged that my sitting down to take shoes and socks on and off was, actually, quite sensible…

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

donald
    Free Member

What was the question again?

cheers_drive

Sex (lack of)
    Being in a town centre on a weekend night
    Having to watch what I eat
    Visiting the doctors more than once a year

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

My glass back.
    Remembering the 80’s as “good old days”
    Fashions arriving for the second time

jambalaya
    Free Member

@pennine respect !

On the don’t do x and y, skiing this year for the first time in 25 years I took cable car down from Mont Fort rather than ski the bumps 🙁 what it did do is make me commit to knee surgery so I can ski them again.

wilburt
    Free Member

People younger than me moaning about their decaying bodies.

#manup

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Speak up!
    I can’t hear you!

Young people today do nothing but mumble………

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Getting attention from women my own age, yuk.

+100. That smarts. Try to remember that I sometimes got attention from 40-50 yr old women when I was 28.

Confirmation bias will eat you up 😉

iainc

For those of us over 40…….

…..go get a PSA test…

Should be automatic screening for us blokes once we get into our 40’s 😯

john_drummer
    Free Member

Weird night out last week. Mrs_d enjoys current chart music, I’m into rock.. Friday night, multiple DJ set in Leeds, so we went & booked into a hotel even though it’s only 10 miles away. Obviously I’m the oldest geezer there, but one young couple tagged onto us and were maybe a little too friendly… Thinking Benidorm & the Middlesbrough swingers club…. Weird

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 134 total)

The topic ‘For those of us over 40…….’ is closed to new replies.