Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Fold my phone in half
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/technology-47943066/hands-on-with-the-samsung-galaxy-fold
    Ok so that is impressive tech, wonder what the idea and proof of concept will spawn next, i do like the idea of a screen that bends and moves. I wonder how long before apple invent it 😉

Poopscoop

Yeah saw that. Very impressive, or more correctly, what it leads to will be.

I’d like some sort of scrolling out screen then then rebound into a slim tube when not lured… just as it would be cool.lol

10 years from now I get there will be some incredible tech out there that this screen starts to usher in.

Cougar

I’ve been watching this development for a while now. Nice to see it in action finally and HOW ****ING MUCH?!

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Xiaomi and few others have got them as well. Oh and theres a watch strap thing.

surfer
    Free Member

I cant imagine the fold will last. Interesting though.

mashr

I’d like some sort of scrolling out screen then then rebound into a slim tube when not lured… just as it would be cool.lol

I think that’s already been done (well, looked at), will need to see if my Google’s on point today…..

EDIT: as as starter:

nickjb
    Free Member

I cant imagine the fold will last.

I bet people would’ve said the same about carrying a 6″ bit of glass around in their pocket a few years ago

mikewsmith
    Free Member

surfer

Somewhere in South Korea there will be a set of rigs that have folded the testing phones open and closed many millions of times to simulate life. Of course going from a testing batch to full production can cause issues but I reckon they have a good handle on the lifespan

DezB
    Free Member

The reviewer didn’t seem to grasp the idea that it’s a (small) tablet size phone, did he? Seemed to think the folding of it was just a novelty. I can see people wanting a bigger screen like that.
    Something bigger and more annoying to hold up in front of people trying to watch live bands, for example. 😉

AlexSimon

I think I prefer the Huawai version unless the surface is prone to scratches:

Although, I think I’ll prefer them when they are smaller. The main benefit for me wouldn’t be having an 8″ tablet in my pocket, but I would like a 6.5″ one that I can put more comfortably in my normal pockets.

IHN

having an 8″ tablet in my pocket

I thought you were just pleased to see me 😉

funkmasterp

Is the fold still visible on the finished article? The brief demos I’ve seen have had it and it looks awful. Not that I’ll actually be buying one mind. I’d want a clear, crease free screen.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Is the fold still visible on the finished article?

The vid said it was not visible when the screen was on properly.

surfer
    Free Member

I bet people would’ve said the same about carrying a 6″ bit of glass around in their pocket a few years ago

Yes and its gone through many changes before we have ended up with the robust versions now.

Drac

Samsung quality testing seems to be at its normal standards.

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/04/17/samsung-broken-galaxy-fold-devices/

DezB
    Free Member

Doh!

CountZero

One reviewer has had the screen on his start to crack after two days.
    https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/17/18411510/samsung-galaxy-fold-broken-screen-debris-dust-hinge-flexible-bulge

Drac

Can’t believe no one else has mentioned this. 😁

jam-bo

I wonder how long before apple invent it 😉

When they can make one that lasts a bit longer?

Twodogs

According to the beeb, reviewers have been peeling off what they thought was the usual protective film you get on a new phone…turns out it’s the top layer of the screen!

edhornby

theregister says that even when the protective layer is left on there have been failures.

surfer
    Free Member

but I reckon they have a good handle on the lifespan

Or maybe not…

kelvin

The vid said it was not visible when the screen was on properly.

Always visible, but reviewers say that you just end up ignoring it… like you do dark patches on old dead laptop screens.

Anyway, they’ve been holding this back for nearly three years… in the hope that they could, er, crack the durability issue. They should have waited a bit longer, it seems.

Nice R&D though… when the tech is consumer ready it will be really useful.

scuttler

I’ve never been a early adopter, nor spent more than about £400 on a phone but this is proper innovation and I agree it’s not what it is today but what it becomes. Anyone who spunks this amount of cash on something so revolutionary is taking a massive risk but that’s their problem.

kelvin

Orders being cancelled. Release date now indefinitely delayed, again.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Meh. Smartphones are at saturation and evolutionary end. Making them bendy doesn’t do much other than allows them to charge idiots crazy money for it. Phones haven’t added anything truly game changing other than style points in the last 5 years. I don’t even give a crap about curved edges.

kcr
    Free Member

Phones haven’t added anything truly game changing other than style points in the last 5 years.

The affordable (second hand) phone I bought last year gives me a pocketable camera that is so good I haven’t used my standalone camera since I bought the phone. That was a game changer for me.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Looks quite good, I’d think long term though screens will eventually dissappear. I’m still waiting on them developing a digital contact lens so I can start kicking about in minority report mode! 😆

Augmented reality is where we are headed, eventually, but we’re still a good bit a way from the technology to implement it properly.

It’s all about the slow integration of human and technology long term init.

CountZero

Apparently the folks who make Gorilla Glass are working on a flexible form of glass, but don’t expect it to be along anytime soon!
    I’m not convinced about folding phones, this Samsung fiasco is pretty much what I thought might happen; it’s almost impossible to fold a rigid material without some sort of crease forming, I can’t see how it can be otherwise. Continually folding a material will eventually work-harden it and it’ll fracture, unless it’s fairly soft, which isn’t how you want a phone screen.

ElShalimo

And in other news today…… Google have released the Pixel 3A. Most people can’t afford a top end £1k phone so the market might be more contested in the mid-range sector.

epicyclo

This folding business will never take off.

Just did it to my iPhone 6, now it’s useless.

🙂

P-Jay
    Free Member

Meh. Smartphones are at saturation and evolutionary end. Making them bendy doesn’t do much other than allows them to charge idiots crazy money for it. Phones haven’t added anything truly game changing other than style points in the last 5 years. I don’t even give a crap about curved edges.

Agreed, I think iPhone 6 era phones (Samsung may have been sooner but we’re assigned Apple devices in work) were the first that I never found frustrating to use and I can be very, very impatient. I’d say most other ‘game changers’ (such a loose term when it comes to smart phones) were well established with other brands.

Latest stuff seems to be invented to look good in ads but I’d waged less than 1/100 users will use it more than once.

Premium smart phone sales are in the decline which is only going to continue, right now lots of consumers are still driven by the fear of not having the latest and greatest thing, but they’re in the decline.

Once the cool kids discover how much energy and resources go into something with such a short lifespan there may even be a bit of a backlash.

I’d bet they’re going to get cheaper in the years to come, not better.

Daffy

Folding a tablet I can sort of understand, but a phone? Having to open it, just to see what’s going on – that’s like going back to flip phones where they had to put a tiny screen on the outside so that you didn’t have to open it all the time just to look at a message you didn’t actually want.

You’ll also need both hands on it to use it…not sure I see how the ergonomics work in daily life.

DezB
    Free Member

@Daffy – It doesn’t matter, because it didn’t work and they’re not making them.

molgrips
    Free Member

Having to open it, just to see what’s going on

From the review I saw, it’s a fully featured normal phone when it’s closed, there’s a screen all over the one side.

footflaps

Yep, stopped at iPhone 6s and just can’t be bothered to upgrade now. Doesn’t help prices have gone insane, £1000 for a latest model phone just seems like madness to me.

oldtennisshoes

£1000 for a latest model phone just seems like madness to me.

But what other computer/machine/gadget do you use more?

zilog6128

As above, I have spent more for things I use a lot less!! iPhones seem to last a long time too. I’m also still using a 6S, would love for it to break so I can justify getting a new phone! The camera on mine is good, but the new phones are just incredible IMO.

lunge

This is a dilemma I have. I have an iPhone 6 which right no, refuses to die. It can be a bit slow at times but I just can’t justify spending £1k to replace it. But, but it is the devise I use more than any other. So maybe I should just stump up. Hmm.

philjunior
    Free Member

But what other computer/machine/gadget do you replace more?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Fold my phone in half’ is closed to new replies.