Fold my phone in half

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Fold my phone in half
  • Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/technology-47943066/hands-on-with-the-samsung-galaxy-fold
    Ok so that is impressive tech, wonder what the idea and proof of concept will spawn next, i do like the idea of a screen that bends and moves. I wonder how long before apple invent it 😉

Premier Icon Poopscoop
    Subscriber

Yeah saw that. Very impressive, or more correctly, what it leads to will be.

I’d like some sort of scrolling out screen then then rebound into a slim tube when not lured… just as it would be cool.lol

10 years from now I get there will be some incredible tech out there that this screen starts to usher in.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

I’ve been watching this development for a while now. Nice to see it in action finally and HOW ****ING MUCH?!

Xiaomi and few others have got them as well. Oh and theres a watch strap thing.

surfer

I cant imagine the fold will last. Interesting though.

mashr

I’d like some sort of scrolling out screen then then rebound into a slim tube when not lured… just as it would be cool.lol

I think that’s already been done (well, looked at), will need to see if my Google’s on point today…..

EDIT: as as starter:

nickjb

I cant imagine the fold will last.

I bet people would’ve said the same about carrying a 6″ bit of glass around in their pocket a few years ago

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

surfer

Somewhere in South Korea there will be a set of rigs that have folded the testing phones open and closed many millions of times to simulate life. Of course going from a testing batch to full production can cause issues but I reckon they have a good handle on the lifespan

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

The reviewer didn’t seem to grasp the idea that it’s a (small) tablet size phone, did he? Seemed to think the folding of it was just a novelty. I can see people wanting a bigger screen like that.
    Something bigger and more annoying to hold up in front of people trying to watch live bands, for example. 😉

Premier Icon AlexSimon
    Subscriber

I think I prefer the Huawai version unless the surface is prone to scratches:

Although, I think I’ll prefer them when they are smaller. The main benefit for me wouldn’t be having an 8″ tablet in my pocket, but I would like a 6.5″ one that I can put more comfortably in my normal pockets.

IHN

having an 8″ tablet in my pocket

I thought you were just pleased to see me 😉

Premier Icon funkmasterp
    Subscriber

Is the fold still visible on the finished article? The brief demos I’ve seen have had it and it looks awful. Not that I’ll actually be buying one mind. I’d want a clear, crease free screen.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

Is the fold still visible on the finished article?

The vid said it was not visible when the screen was on properly.

surfer

I bet people would’ve said the same about carrying a 6″ bit of glass around in their pocket a few years ago

Yes and its gone through many changes before we have ended up with the robust versions now.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Samsung quality testing seems to be at its normal standards.

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/04/17/samsung-broken-galaxy-fold-devices/

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber
    CountZero

One reviewer has had the screen on his start to crack after two days.
    https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/17/18411510/samsung-galaxy-fold-broken-screen-debris-dust-hinge-flexible-bulge

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Can’t believe no one else has mentioned this. 😁

Premier Icon jam bo
    Subscriber

I wonder how long before apple invent it 😉

When they can make one that lasts a bit longer?

Premier Icon Twodogs
    Subscriber

According to the beeb, reviewers have been peeling off what they thought was the usual protective film you get on a new phone…turns out it’s the top layer of the screen!

Premier Icon edhornby
    Subscriber

theregister says that even when the protective layer is left on there have been failures.

surfer

but I reckon they have a good handle on the lifespan

Or maybe not…

Premier Icon kelvin
    Subscriber

The vid said it was not visible when the screen was on properly.

Always visible, but reviewers say that you just end up ignoring it… like you do dark patches on old dead laptop screens.

Anyway, they’ve been holding this back for nearly three years… in the hope that they could, er, crack the durability issue. They should have waited a bit longer, it seems.

Nice R&D though… when the tech is consumer ready it will be really useful.

scuttler

I’ve never been a early adopter, nor spent more than about £400 on a phone but this is proper innovation and I agree it’s not what it is today but what it becomes. Anyone who spunks this amount of cash on something so revolutionary is taking a massive risk but that’s their problem.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.