Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Fold my phone in half
  • wobbliscott
    Free Member

Why do people keep saying £1k is expensive for a phone? It is very expensive for a phone i’ll grant you but they’re not just phones and used far less as a phone. they’re GPS devices, decent cameras, decent video cameras, TV’s MP3 players, access to the net and all the apps and capability that brings, they’re games machines and a whole lot more. They’re so much more than just a phone, and along with all that capability (which is what you’re actually paying for) comes the price tag. How much would it cost to purchase all those devices? more than £1k i’d suggest, and then you’ve got to carry it all around with you.

If you think its expensive for what it is then clearly you don’t have use of all the features therefore see no value in it and really don’t need such a capable device. A cheaper and more basic device is what you should be looking at.

Folding screen is a good innovation…you don’t have to use all the screen real state all the time, if just picking up a phone call only a small proportion of the unfolded screen has to be used to alert you and let you know who’s calling, but if you’re watching a movie, playing a game etc, then you can open it up and use more of the screen real estate.

zilog6128

But what other computer/machine/gadget do you replace more?

I’ve had 3 iPhones in 3 years so far (current one still going strong!) Probably £1500 outlay total so roughly 50p per day. I’m happy to pay that for a device which is capable of doing so much! Granted the new phones are a lot more expensive, but if I spend £1k on the next one and get 3-4 years out of it that’s still less than a pound a day. I probably spend more on coffee 😂

spooky_b329

£1000 is expensive when the functionality of a £250 device is similar to a flagship phone. They may have the latest/fastest processor and six cameras, but they effectively do the same job in terms of music, photos, navigation etc.

Especially when a lot of people are still in the 18 months upgrade loop, I buy sim free and take care of my phones, but it’s rare I get 3 years out of it. Laptops and other tech lasts much longer.

matt_outandabout

£1000 is expensive when the functionality of a £250 device is similar to a flagship phone.

I think we’re at this point. They do the same thing. One costs a metric shed load more, for minimal difference other than bragging rights.

This wasn’t the case a few years ago.

philjunior
    Free Member

£1000 is expensive when the functionality of a £250 device is similar to a flagship phone.

This. If it was essential stuff and cheaper alternatives weren’t available, fine. My 150 quid phone does more than I need, although I’d like a better camera so I’ll probably buy one seperately one day.

seosamh77
    Free Member

wobbliscott

Why do people keep saying £1k is expensive for a phone? It is very expensive for a phone i’ll grant you but they’re not just phones and used far less as a phone. they’re GPS devices, decent cameras, decent video cameras, TV’s MP3 players, access to the net and all the apps and capability that brings, they’re games machines and a whole lot more.

cause barring the gaming, you can buy a phone for £150-250 that’ll do everything you mentioned.

so aye, they are expensive.

I agree with the iphone 6 comments, on that being roughly the level where phones started being something that’d I’d not bother to upgrade.

i don’t use an apple, but the android equivalent was the moto g4, mines is still powering along nicely, does everything I need with lag.

When they started advertising fingerprint scanners as a must have feature was probably when they basically admitted, aye your phone is generally powerful enough.

Same with computers, unless you’ve got a specific purpose for an all signing dancing effort, you’re just spending too much..

DrJ

cause barring the gaming, you can buy a phone for £150-250 that’ll do everything you mentioned.

e.g. ?

sobriety
    Free Member

The Huawei P20 lite I picked up for £200 a while back? GPS/Camera/Web/Video/Gaming(Just)

And only because my old 16GB P8 was out of internal storage space to the point where apps wouldn’t update anymore, even with me trying to keep on top of space.

footflaps

But what other computer/machine/gadget do you use more?

My work laptop is used 100x more than my phone and probably cost about the same, actually maybe a bit more; but way more powerful and versatile.

CountZero

I think we’re at this point. They do the same thing. One costs a metric shed load more, for minimal difference other than bragging rights.

Pretty sure the cheap devices are cheap for very good reasons – quality of components and materials.
    I’m on my fourth iPhone, starting with a 3G, then a 4G, then a 5, now on a 6+, which is five years old. All of those devices have metal and toughened glass structures, most cheap devices are plastic. Even the folding Samsung has plastic front and rear, on a £2000 device!
    Looking at the end-on view of the Samsung, I’d be prepared to bet the chances of one surviving more than an hour stuffed in someone’s back pocket before it broke are somewhere between fat and slim.

CountZero

Here’s a photo showing the end view of the Galaxy Fold – there’s so much to go wrong from people putting into the back pocket of a pair of tight jeans then sitting on it!

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Fold my phone in half’ is closed to new replies.