• This topic has 26 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by otsdr.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Foam Grips
  • astormatt
    Free Member

I am thinking of trying some foam grips. I have just upgraded my bars and grips to new Joystick ones, but on my rigid i find i am getting hand ache and i think it is because my grips are quite thin and hard.
    They are nice and grippy but as i am lacking suspension i think a more, (very) slightly more forgiving foam might be the way forward.
    Any recommendations?

njee20
    Free Member

Not foam, but ESI silicone are marvellous.

dirtydog
    Free Member

ESI

RustySpanner

The Ritchey ones are excellent.
    Cheap too and very comfy.

everyone
    Free Member

Another vote for ESI. Fantastic grips.

astormatt
    Free Member

Wow that was quick, thanks. Off to Google ESI now….

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

ESI

astormatt
    Free Member

Just ordered some ESI silicone grips from Charliethebike.
    Looking forward to trying them.

cheers_drive

Had ESI silicone and Richey foam, much prefer the foam in feel but can slip when wet

Kryton57

Esi again here…

legend
    Free Member

ESI are surprisingly good, got to be the Racer (thinner) ones though as even they are thicker than things like ODI Ruffians

mrblobby
    Free Member

ESI ESI ESI

astormatt
    Free Member

Legend – I have ordered the thinner ‘race’ ones, will report back when i have had a few rides on them.

mrmo
    Free Member

i have a set of ESI grips and yes they are nice, but they aren’t very durable. mine are looking distinctly worn after c500miles.

Retrodirect
    Free Member

i find my hands slip around on esi’s in the wet. had to start wearing gloves.

mattyfez

ESI chunkies, here.. I like them, and they are not that chunky really..
    They can feel a bit slippery when really wet, and are easily cosmetically damaged but I like them.

Not sure I’d go for the thin race ones, but I guess that’s personal preference..

Denis99
    Free Member

ESI

Northwind

I love my ESI Racer’s Edge (because I am well racer innit). Couldn’t get on with the fatter ones, they’re too squeezy so I found them tiring, always squishing them. They are delicate- you can rip them open in a single crash and destroy them- and they’re fairly shortlived even if you don’t. But they’re lovely.

I just wore out a set so I threw my old Rogues back on as a stopgap, I thought they were the bees’ knees but they just felt orrible. Albeit, about a million times easier to fit.

Oh, I tried the Superstar ones, they went in the bin pretty much instantly, I couldn’t tell you why they weren’t good but they weren’t.

njee20
    Free Member

I also like the thinner ESIs, and have never found them slippery when wet. I used to use Bontrager XXX Lite foam, but they are utterly lethal when wet. Gloves needed in all conditions.

Kryton57

Mine wear out over the course of a year, where my thumb tucks under the bar.

acid877
    Free Member

Another vote for ESI Chunky (they also do an Extra Chunky that I haven’t tried).

Good points:
    Helps with arm pump
    Light weight
    Grippy in all weather

Bad points:
    Easily damaged if you have wide bars and catch them on trees…

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

ESI on both my bikes

CheesybeanZ

Esi extra chunky on 6 bikes ..

jabbi
    Free Member

Ritchey WCS are good on a rigid bike, I’d like to try ESI as people seem to rate them. Has anyone tried Ritchey Superlogic? 10g grips surely aren’t that durable and must be pretty thin? But it’s 1/4lb off your bars compared to most lock-ons for 20 quid.

scaredypants

I had some foam ones, not sure what brand (but they were a “proper” brand) and I’m not sure why – I’m no lightweight racer

They perished and split over about 6 months. Kack

superfli
    Free Member

Can you get spare ESI bar end caps? I keep loosing mine when I smash into trees 🙂

otsdr
    Free Member

90% of bar caps are junk, I use ODI BMX plugs and they’re ace. They do what they are supposed to: protect your carbon bars properly, instead of making a mess.

Also, ESI.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Foam Grips’ is closed to new replies.