• This topic has 53 replies, 51 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by rone.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • First tune to send a shiver up your spine
  • inkster
    Free Member

Inspired by the 1st album thread and seeing Binners contribution.

First tune to send a shiver down my spine and thus change the trajectory of my life forever was Motorhead’s ‘Ace of Spades’ on 12″ vinyl. [the special edition where they’re all dressed as Santa on the cover]

Had an old HMV portable gramophone player and when the needle hit the vinyl it attempted to destroy said gramophone player, distorting the speaker in such a way as I could only describe as both profane and profound.

12″ singles are still one of the best things ever invented and I have far more affection for and cherish them more than any of my old LP’s

Northwind

Ooh good one. Who Wants To Live Forever by Queen. The real gamechanger was Enter Sandman though- first track at the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert and I basically lost my mind.

jam-bo

peter and the wolf.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Kings of the Wild Frontier by Adam and the Ants.

All through my childhood previously, music had just been background noise.

Then those drums kicked in and I wanted to spend my pocket money on something that wasn’t sweeties.

* John Williams Imperial March was the first music that really sent a chill up my spine but that doesn’t count. Star Wars was the very first film I ever saw at the pictures. I am a sucker for movie music to this day.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I may have been “influenced” at the time but One I vividly remember was in progress, Dave seaman played “that’s the way it is” by Bruce Hornsby, that piano!!!

sharkbait
    Free Member

Purple Rain

rone

Eighth Day – Hazel o’ Connor

thehustler
    Free Member

Thunderchild from the war of the worlds (original version)

chewkw
    Free Member

It was a nice afternoon with cooling breeze on an island at around 5pm, the sun was setting, when my youngest aunt was driving us (me and all my cousins) to town with to buy bread. 😀

Then the voice of Karen Carpenters appeared on radio … her voice stays with me ever since … what a singing voice … 😯

Carpenters – We’ve Only Just Begun

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evETS8_WFGE[/video]

MSP

The Eton rifles, or going underground, both by the Jam. Can’t remember which of them I heard first but they both did and still do it for me.

surfer
    Free Member

Donna Summer, I feel love…

I associate it with light show in the Coconut Grove, Tuebrook, Liverpool in the early 80’s 😀

bikebouy
    Free Member

“Bridge over troubled Water”

My mother played the album on rotation, every time Dad was away for his 3 month stints this would go on for the first month or so.

Still sends shivers down my arms to this day.

Caher

Visage – fade to grey. Bunch of students partying at end of their exams and I was a child watching hoping I’d be at parties like this one day.

CountZero

So difficult to remember that far back, my first real memory is of a song on the radio; it was released in 1958 when I was four!
    As to actual shivers, I really can’t say, there are a lot of candidates that give me shivers now, that I first heard back in the 60’s-70’s.

ian-r

Wish You Were Here

slowoldman

Really hard to remember but looking back at how my musical tastes were moving in the 70s it was probably Pink Floyd’s Astronomy Domine off the Ummagumma album. Well that or Careful with that axe, Eugene.

tiggs121
    Free Member

Aqualung – Jethro Tull

slowoldman

Now I was in two minds whether to pick Aqualung, but I had Ummagumma first.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Not sure, but this one certainly did it in my teens:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFWKJ2FUiAQ[/video]

“Long afloat on shipless oceans
    I did all my best to smile
    ‘Til your singing eyes and fingers
    Drew me loving to your isle
    And you sang
    Sail to me
    Sail to me
    Let me enfold you
    Here I am
    Here I am
    Waiting to hold you

Did I dream you dreamed about me?
    Were you hare when I was fox?
    Now my foolish boat is leaning
    Broken lovelorn on your rocks,
    For you sing,
    “Touch me not, touch me not, come back tomorrow:
    O my heart, O my heart shies from the sorrow”

I am puzzled as the newborn child
    I am riddled as the tide.
    Should I stand amid the breakers?
    Should I lie with Death my bride?
    Hear me sing,
    “Swim to me,
    Swim to me,
    Let me enfold you:
    Here I am,
    Here I am,
    Waiting to hold you”

Jings.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

London Calling for me.

That opening bass – like far off Thunder!

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Goodbye Blue Sky, Pink Floyd, The Wall

Paint it Black. The Stones

mikey74
    Free Member

Not entirely sure, but I suspect it would have been one of…

Dire Straits – Brothers in Arms
    Gary Moore – Empty Rooms
    Metallica – Fade to Black

colournoise

Good question.

The track that springs to mind straight away is Windpower by Thomas Dolby. Not because of any emotional content, but I’d just never heard anything quite like it before.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

Nirvana – Smells like teen spirit

I wasn’t sure what album it was on – guy in Andy’s Records knew exactly what is was the moment I described it. Very happy when I got that CD home.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Love will tear us apart left an indellible mark on my soul.
    This charming man made me fall in love with jangly guitars.
    Teenage kicks for the pure joy of being 18, I definitely was one of the 10+ million listening to Peel when he played it twice.

nedrapier

Jimi Hendrix. Foxy Lady. Ooof!

some more recent ones here: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/friday-music-listening-thread-goosebumps

Pyro

There aren’t many that have ever genuinely sent a shiver through me, but the last one I recall would be the first time I heard Anthony & the Johnsons ‘Hope There’s Someone’. Just his voice, more than anything else. Gets a bit weird at the end, but all the same.

[video]https://youtu.be/8b5HHRT8xvw[/video]

tjagain

Exodus – Bob Marley. I was a metal fan , I heard this and realised there was a lot more to music than I knew then. Opened up a whole world to me

simondbarnes

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Cw1ng75KP0[/video]

P-Jay
    Free Member

Black Hole Sun by Soundgarden I think, it was a while ago, maybe No Good (Start the Dance) by the Prodigy.

I was a bit late getting into music, I was 17 by 94 but I remember that was the time I understood why people liked it.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

From my youth
    [video]https://youtu.be/9GMjH1nR0ds[/video]

alexandersupertramp
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/9_R-mXRONh0[/video]

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Tell me about it,……stud….

emsz
    Free Member

Tired of you by the Foo fighters.

I was a real pop princess, then this…oh my days.

lucorave
    Free Member

Giorgio Moroder & Donna Summer – I Feel Love (original 12″ mix) 1977

8:15 of pure unadulterated bliss from the start to finish, It is incredible. Growing up with the Carpenters from the parents and Jethro Tull and Floyd from my brother the sound Giorgio & Donna put out was like something from outer space. The driving baseline and angelic vocals took me to a place I didn’t know music could. My first taste of true electronic music and from that day I was hooked. It still sounds as fresh today and that’s now 40 years later.
    True musical genius. 😛

rob2
    Free Member

Good question. First one is hard to remember.

It was either

The jam – Elton rifles
    Prince – glam slam 12″

Quite a range there!

Latest one though is “kid” by the pretenders. What a song

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Jean Michel Jarre, Oxygene 4.
    Aged 5 just moved here, and listening to it on the road between Ambleside and Elterwater.
    Dad stopped the car at the cattle grid at The top of Elterwater Common, got us out of the car, said nothing, but pointed to The Langdale Pikes..
    It all then made sense.
    I’ll never forget him, or the view.

vongassit
    Free Member

midlifecrashes

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByVUa2opcUA[/video]

dawson

Full version (I.e parts 1 and 2) of The Box by Orbital, listening on headphones, on radio 1 late at night mid-90’s

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘First tune to send a shiver up your spine’ is closed to new replies.