Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • First road race – what the hell am I to do?
  • singletracksurfer

I've entered a ride which I though was a demonstration ride in memory of a rider who was killed (and the driver let off as he 'didn't see him').

I've now found out its a race. Only thing is I've never ridden on the road before. It's this weekend and is 105km with 1,700 metres of climbing.

I recently got a CX bike which I'll stick some slicks on, but any hints, tips, advice, condolences, idea of how long it should take roughly, etc, all very much welcomed (and needed).

Thanks

tankslapper
    Free Member

Go and enjoy is probably the best advice. I would treat it like an Audax, find someone of your own ability and use each other to pace. Depending on how strong / fit you are I would opt for 'alpine' gears and spin – don't mountain bike grind!

KINGTUT
    Free Member

As far as road riding goes it's not far and not too much climbing, however you don't have any experience so you will probably get a sore back , arms and shoulders from being in a tucked position, you'll probably get some saddle discomfort as well so lather up with some chamois cream.

How long it takes will be down to your fitness, if you are a reasonably fit MTB'r allow 3 hours or so.

cynic-al
    Free Member

What he said. You may be a threat to others with no road riding experience so don't try mixing it up in the bunch!

warton
    Free Member

the only way to not mix it up in the bunch is to go off the front ASAP. do it, you know you want to.

crikey
    Free Member

If you've never ridden on the road before in anger, take some money and a map because it's likely that you'll be off the back in the first couple of miles. This might not be the case, but you'll probably be surprised how quick they go.

Smee
    Free Member

My advice is to wheelsuck your way round then try and outsprint the lot of then in the last couple of hundred metres – that will ensure you are popular.

ourmaninthenorth

If it's a regular road race, unless you're in good shape, you'll be out of the back of the bunch pretty quickly, so be prepared to spend the remaining time on your own..!

Also, if it is a road race, you'll need to be comfortable riding in a close bunch with other riders. If you haven't done this before, now isn't the time to learn (and for the bunch to find out you don't know what you're doing,l either..!).

If it isn't a race in that sense, but is effectively timed (like an audax, sportive or reliability ride), then just set out and enjoy.

The key in any event is not to go into the red too early or too much. Ride within yourself.

singletracksurfer

ah jeepers, I thought everyone was going to say it'd be alright – you've just made it sound like hell Kingtut.

Warton – I'm not wet, i've been watching the TDF I know to wait for the biggest hill to make my move.

Thats my worry, I know I'd better stay well away from other riders which means it'll be even tougher.

I went out on the cx bike yesterday to get used to it, but still had knobblies on it so could resist riding off road. Yep back hurt (and I already have back problems too). Imagine it will get kinda boring slogging around the roads by myself.

I think my problem will be pacing myself. MTB is very start, sprint, stop (eat) and repeat.

AndyP
    Free Member

learn to breathe out of your @rse.

robbo
    Free Member

If this is what your are referring to – its NOT a race!
    http://readingcyclingclub.com/anthonymaynardsportive/

Just enjoy it – and don't get killed!

singletracksurfer

oh its a sportive, so maybe it won't be so horrible. Are they less competitive or something?

Roadies always seem very serious to me, so I was imagining it'd be quite intimidating.

Better clean my CX bike I suppose.

mudshark
    Free Member

if you are a reasonably fit MTB'r allow 3 hours or so.

Well I think I'm classed as 'a reasonably fit MTB'r' and I'd be happy with closer to 4 hours! The stats of that route are similar to one I do quite regularly though I suppose if you can ride on someone's wheel a lot that'll help keep the pace up.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

ah jeepers, I thought everyone was going to say it'd be alright – you've just made it sound like hell Kingtut.

Generally your first road ride is painful and a tad hellish but in a good way, you'll either finish it and want to buy a proper road bike or never ride on the road again, for me it was a revelation absolutely loved it, that said my first road ride wasn't in a race!

singletracksurfer

thats the one robbo.

thats good news. I saw reference to timing matts & target times plus people talking about PB's.

AndyP
    Free Member

sportives are 'non-competitive'. however lots of people go and treat them like a race and try to get within certain times. But lots of people turn up and bimble round too.

singletracksurfer

oh good I like the sound of non competitive.

I was slightly worried as to what I'd just entered in for.

As long as there are other novices like me there I should be able to blend in.

ourmaninthenorth

oh its a sportive, so maybe it won't be so horrible. Are they less competitive or something?

They're not technically races – they are times "challenges". While some may treat it as a proper race, others will just ride it as a regular ride.

My experience of sportives is that people tend to ride together then split up, and so you don't need to worry so much about group riding in the same way. If you don't feel confident riding in a group, don't. Equally, if you think it's OK, then you'll need to do your fellow group members certain courtesies (for safety purposes): (1) keep a steady line – don't swing around the road (2) before changing line, have a quick look over your shoulder, (3) point out obstacles, holes etc. in the road, (4) warn riders ahead of a car behind by saying "car up", and warn riders behind of a car ahead by saying "car down". Do all these things, and they'll think you a seasoned pro.

Most of all, have fun. It's not very far, and doesn't have too much climbing, so have a nice day out!

singletracksurfer

thanks northman.

its all sounding much more enjoyable now….kind of.

ourmaninthenorth

singletracksurfer – take enough food and drink. Ride at a steady pace. Enjoy the scenery. Have a great time. It is by no means a race. Just have fun..!

😀

singletracksurfer

thanks. will do.

RealMan
    Free Member

Attack on every hill you see.

FuzzyWuzzy

And no laughing as you pass fat blokes on Colnagos…

Be careful with pacing, it's easy to get sucked into riding with a group and end up blowing (that said if you can sit on someone's wheel you'll expend a lot less energy than riding solo). And if you go through a good patch don't be tempted to start hammering it otherwise you'll regret it during the inevitable bad patches that come later :p

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘First road race – what the hell am I to do?’ is closed to new replies.