Home Forums Chat Forum Films…..That you expected to be good but….weren't

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Films…..That you expected to be good but….weren't
  • kayak23

Could actually apply this to almost every ‘Blockbuster’ these days. They all get hyped so much that (to me anyway) they invariably translate into disappointment.
    The current passion for re-makes is utterly useless.

Eraserhead, it was bobbins!

alexpalacefan

Alice in Wonderland w Johnny Depp

Looked good, shite.

APF

IHN

Anchorman – given the cult follwing/hype around it, I thought it would be hilarious. I saw it for the first time on Friday and it was, well, alright. Nothing great.

Bagstard
    Free Member

Anchorman is a grower!

cheese@4p

The Birds, boring oldie, some folk get pecked a bit, nowt happens
    THE END

joolsburger
    Free Member

Once upon a time in the west. I fell asleep twice. Just way too long. 8.8 on IMDB too.

buttercup
    Free Member

The rum diary. Book was amazing. Film didn’t even follow it. What’s the point?

speaker2animals

Tim Burton’s Planet of the Apes as I used to think TB was brill. Very poor and rarely run the risk of TB films since.

Aren’t Will Ferrell films just the same one over and over again?

timmys

The Birds, boring oldie, some folk get pecked a bit, nowt happens
    THE END

Happened to watch the Birds this weekend and totally agree.

For me the film I’ve never “got” is 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Anchorman, on the other hand, is of course awesome.

Nick

A Serious Man, watched it last night, I’m very much a fan of the Coen Brothers stuff but this was pretty bland compared to their best stuff.

JonR
    Free Member

So many so called classics are nothign but pants.

The Shining – Ex alkie mentalist goes mental and chases his family round a haunted house. Yawn.

The Godfather – Some Italians kill each other and a few other people whilst running a crime gang. Boring.

2001 a Space Odyssey – Monkeys, a killer space ship, some silly colours and a big black tombstone. Turgid.

Jaws – A big shark kills some people and then gets killed. Awful.

Bagstard
    Free Member

JonR, if those films are awful, what do you like? 😕

IHN

Anchorman is a grower

So is mould.

I struggled through the start of Once Upon a Time In the West once. It was very long and dull and I had to switch off. And I love long dull westerns 🙂

speaker2animals

JonR – I assume you just don’t like fiction cos basically you have summarised every drama have you not? Film starts, something happens, film finishes. Boring.

nbt

Natural born killers. Saw it on pirate video when reservoir dogs and pulp fiction meant tarantino was the best thing ever, but wasn’t impressed. Put it partly down to poor quality copy, so reluctantly agreed to go to the cinema to watch it with mates. Went to sleep, t was that bad

portlyone

Run fatboy, run. Pointless

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.
    Soooooo Slooooowww. Tension building? no, that was boredom building.

mcboo
    Free Member

Inception – building bending CGI? Sooooooo boring.

PJM1974
    Free Member

The remake of the Planet of the Apes had all the right ingredients with Burton et al, but some poor writing spoiled it. The ending was a cop out too, it elicted a resounding “WTF?” instead of the original film’s classic punchline.

Anything with “Saw” in the title is p1ss poor too.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Resistance. Don’t bother.

grum
    Free Member

No Country for Old Men. Usually love Coen Brothers stuff but it was very disappointing.

Anchorman is ace however.

portlyone

No Country for Old Men

+1 just plain boring.

nsaints
    Free Member

I liked ‘no country for old men’
    but didn’t like ‘127 hours’ – heard too much hype before I guess and it didn’t meet expectations

MrsToast
    Free Member

There Will Be Blood

Zodiac

I was particularly disappointed by the latter.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Inception. Why not bring the kids to France and save me the £5.50 and ninety minutes that were wasted on this?

How come so many people have been suckered into proclaiming this film to be a work of genius?

rockhopper70

Great expectations…….. 🙄

OmarLittle
    Free Member

I thought Shaun of the Dead was pretty shit and nowhere near as good and as funny as the hype suggested. I thought the premise sounded really good but enjoyed Zombieland much more as a comedy zombie movie.

More generally i dont really get all the Simon Pegg / Nick Frost / Edgar Wright love that seems to be around. Hot Fuzz was as shit as Shaun of the Dead.

bikebouy
    Free Member

This is pants, promissed to be a good old romp in Spain, turned out it’s introspective twaddle.

AdamW
    Free Member

“Be Kind, Rewind”

My eyeballs haven’t stopped complaining about it yet. 😆

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Se7en, the 6th Sense, the new Batman films with Christian Bale in them.

richmtb

Casablanca.

One of the film critics classics that I had never seen. Watched and it was just soooo slooowww!

I appreciate older films tend to be a bit slower than their more modern equivalents but man, nothing happened.

stevemtb
    Free Member

Avatar. Wasn’t awful but had to leave before the end and never went back to it. Didn’t really care.

Inception, if it was the one about going into dream/subconcious. Went way to complex IMO. Good idea for a movie but no need to create so many twists.

Happy Feet. I find penguins hilarious but I hate movies/programs where they constantly sing. Was gutted when I found out they sing all the time!

Nick

Vicky Christina Barcelona is fantastic!

so is No Country.. and There Will Be Blood

Went way to complex IMO

I like this in a Sci-fi, like Total Recall or eXistenZ, twists yer melon a bit.

grahamh
    Free Member

Much aclaimed by the critics as being on of Kubrics best films.
    Dull as dishwater, and that’s probably an insult to dishwater.

jon1973
    Free Member

Films…..That you expected to be good but….weren’t

The Godfather – Some Italians kill each other and a few other people whilst running a crime gang.

So exactly what did you expect a film about the Italian Mafia to be about?

Drac

There Wil Be Blood – truly awful the only blood was from my eyes and ears having to put up with utter junk.

16stonepig
    Free Member

Black Hawk Down. The whol film was just SHOUTING SHOUTING GUNS DEATH SHOUTING MORE GUNS

Don’t get me wrong – I enjoy a good action film, but you can’t make a whole film at that level and pace, you need downbeat moments and tension to throw the action into relief, otherwise it’s meaningless

I had about 15 minutes left of the film to watch but Just Couldn’t Be ****ed and went to bed.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

For those mentioning There Will Be Blood…i’m sure you’ll like this clip 😀

Stuey01
    Free Member

Once Upon a Time in Mexico.
    Desperado is one of my alltime favourite movies so I had high hopes for this, but I couldn’t get into it.

Kill Bill volume 2.
    Volume 1 I thought was ace but volume 2 didn’t half go on a bit.

Made
    This was Jon Favreau and Vince Vaughn’s follow up to Swingers (which is in my top 5 ever movies), and it was woeful, I turned it off.

Be Cool
    Follow up to the ace Get Shorty, but rubbish.

There is a definite sequel theme going on with my picks!

MrOvershoot

Another one for “There Will Be Blood”

All of the characters were as bad as each other so in the end I just didn’t care what happened to any of them, that and it was way too long

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Films…..That you expected to be good but….weren't’ is closed to new replies.