Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • fifty quid!
  • wors

http://www.sip-events.co.uk/kielder-entry.html

i know that costs need to be met but blimey

willyboy
    Free Member

i nearly moaned and then realised its quite good value for money when you compare it to some other events;

footy match £25 to £45 + food and drinks (less than 2 hours – normally rubbish for the amount they get paid)
    london eye £13 (approx 1/2 hour)
    sprint triathlon £35 (just over an hour) – london tri = £73 yikes
    alton towers £36 + parking
    half marathon – about £20

ok its dearer than an audax, but requires much more organising/ planning

mk1fan
    Free Member

The vast majority of your £50 will have been wasted on risk assessments, insurances, justifying poor accessibility for disabled people. All the stuff that the Daily Mail demands and complains about.

It’s only ever going to go up.

BoardinBob

Aye that’s not bad. Ten under the ben was £45. Another £12 for a space in the campsite.

joemarshall
    Free Member

For a proper race, i.e. not an endurance challenge on bridleways, that doesn’t sound so bad. Bearing in mind the endurance challenges, you don’t need to ask/pay for permission for riding on bridleways, you don’t have to marshal the course so intensively, or provide accurate timing or anything like that, and they still cost £20-30 quid.

Joe

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

You could buy a new Deore mech for that!

actualy that makes it quite good value 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The alternative is mates race’s, post a location and time, then see who’s the fastest.

Could even do a STW mates race series, nominate 5 trail centers spread over the country (GT, Cannock, Thetford, Dalby, Inners?). 1 lap of the red loop at each center. Fastest overall time wins (like a rally).

Run it as a time trial and i guess it should be possible to do it for the same price as roadie evening TT’s (£2-£3?)

STATO
    Free Member

nope spoon, someone on here got in trouble for openly publisicing an ‘underground/stw’ race.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

becasue it was illegal or becasue it clashes with the ST NPS races?

twinklydave

I thought it was a bit steep too, considering the similar-style merida events are £20 less. Shame, as i kind of liked the idea of a nice big race, but cannee afford it 🙁

STATO
    Free Member

it was a while ago, dont remember details but nothing to do with clashes, all to do with being entirely illegal.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Wonder if it would be illegal on bridleways/roads? Could it not be run under the same rules as roadie TT’s?

takisawa2

100 entrants = £5k.
    I doubt £5k buys you a lot when you put these events on.
    And someone has probably already put a good few weeks worth of work into organising it.
    Also due to the relatively extreme nature of the event & location its not exactly going to attract the numbers that MM etc, will draw in.

grumm
    Free Member

The vast majority of your £50 will have been wasted on risk assessments, insurances, justifying poor accessibility for disabled people. All the stuff that the Daily Mail demands and complains about.

It’s only ever going to go up.

Isn’t doing a risk assessment and having insurance quite a good idea for a big bike race?

cp

Isn’t doing a risk assessment and having insurance quite a good idea for a big bike race

NO!! risk assessments should be banned – we should all use our noggins instead and look after ourselves. Just like we used to really.

jimster
    Free Member

cp – Member

Isn’t doing a risk assessment and having insurance quite a good idea for a big bike race

NO!! risk assessments should be banned – we should all use our noggins instead and look after ourselves. Just like we used to really.

Unfortunately that’s not the case anymore – the blame culture has over taken from common sense, and race organisers and anyone opening a trail centre has to take into account the varied abilities of the people riding the events/trails they’ve arranged or get sued if someone has a serious injury.

The other week I was riding the Penhydd trail and saw a chap putting signs up at the entrance to the Hidden Valley and asked him what it was all about – basically the FC are covering their arse by putting up a sign saying if your a novice or on a crap bike don’t ride this section. Fair enough, but how are people going to develop the ability to ride these trails if the FC put people off them?

grumm
    Free Member

I agree that in some ways the culture of ‘elf and safety’ has gone over the top, but it has also probably prevented quite a few accidents.

I don’t see why you would have a problem with a sign warning people that a trail might be difficult for them.

cp

i know it’s not the case anymore. we should all rebel against it!!

lowey

Shuddup moaning you tight wad and get your camera out.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

i know it’s not the case anymore. we should all rebel against it!!

Isn’t it the “we” that’s the problem though? The issue isn’t with the organisers covering their ar$ses, it’s with the people who would take advantage if they didn’t and therefore make it obligatory. I’m sure the organisers would love to be able to do away with it all and not worry about it. So what would you be rebelling against exactly?

uplink
    Free Member

basically the FC are covering their arse by putting up a sign saying if your a novice or on a crap bike don’t ride this section. Fair enough, but how are people going to develop the ability to ride these trails if the FC put people off them?

If that puts them off using the trail, it’s probably best they don’t bother
    Those sort of signs would get my curiosity up TBH

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If it wasn’t for risk assessment the organisers could put a 20ft drop off after a fast blind corner. Its becasue they sit back and think, whats the consequence that that doesn’t happen. 99%* of H&S legislation is one companies good idea being shared and becoming industry standard, then being addpoted into law. If there was no risk assessment at that type of event you’d have caos!

*99% of statisics are made up.

marty
    Free Member

I’m sure the organisers would love to be able to do away with it all and not worry about it.
    exactly. all the brave talk about guerilla races is fine until it’s your arse on the line.

jimster
    Free Member

I don’t see why you would have a problem with a sign warning people that a trail might be difficult for them.

I was being cocky at the time, and managed to get past the MX gate without dismounting quickly and got distracted looking at the sign and almost hitting a tree. 😳

It seems like we’re getting too closeted by H & S, which as pointed out isn’t all bad but at times it seems to go to far IMHO.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Sod the money, it’s the distance that has upset me, therefor I shall not be doing it, . . fffrrp!

jim
    Free Member

If it wasn’t for risk assessment the organisers could put a 20ft drop off after a fast blind corner.

I hope you’re being sarcastic.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

not sarcasm, just making a poit that risk assessment is no bad thing, by reading what I wrote, and thinking it was a bad idea, therefore there should be no 20ft drop-offs or fast blind corners, you sir have just completed a risk assessment.

jim
    Free Member

Nah, that’s just common sense.

But add some pointlessly complicated forms, some bureaucracy – now that’s a risk assessment.

grumm
    Free Member

Nah, that’s just common sense.

Which is basically what a risk assessment is, written down. Doesn’t take long.

Ever done one? It’s actually quite useful in making sure you haven’t missed any ‘common sense’ measure just through absent-mindedness.

I think the number of situations which now require a written risk assessment is rather silly, but I don’t see this as one of them really.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

But add some pointlessly complicated forms, some bureaucracy – now that’s a risk assessment.

To what extent does this actually exist though? Outside of the pages of the Daily Mail anyway. Most of the stories of H&S gone mad seem to be actually be about people massively erring on the side of caution when assesing risk, but get interpreted as “Blimey, H&S won’t let kids play conkers without goggles on now! What’s this country…” etc etc.

jim
    Free Member

Ever done one?

Yep, had to do them for the uni canoe club. Never found it to be a useful use of time.

grumm
    Free Member

Yup the H+S executive actually give out pretty sensible advice, it’s just people who are paranoid from reading the Mail too much who go mental and overdo it.

It takes all of about 5-10 minutes to do a a risk assessment for most things – it’s just to show you are not a moron and have thought about potential problems and what to do about them.

Some people are morons and haven’t thought about potential problems.

thomthumb
    Free Member

common sense ain’t so common.

sofatester
    Free Member

Daily mail anyone?

miketually
    Free Member

As soon as you call something a race, rather than an ride, it gets expensive, because you need different insurance cover.

I’m a cheapskate, but I think £50 is fine; it’s only £15 more than SSUK, and that was only a 14k lap!

miketually
    Free Member

common sense ain’t so common

It’s the lack of common sense that leads to the H&S scare stories.

joemarshall
    Free Member

As soon as you call something a race, rather than an ride, it gets expensive, because you need different insurance cover.

And they have to run it on a dedicated track that isn’t on bridleways / footpaths or roads, what with racing on bridleways being illegal.

Joe

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘fifty quid!’ is closed to new replies.