• This topic has 70 replies, 47 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by benmb.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • Fat Bikes
  • Goldigger
    Free Member

I’m curious how many people have a fat bike and why?
    Obviously there intended purpose was for the winter/snow, but is there any other reason why to add one to the collection?

How many people have a hard tail/full suspension fat bike? Any better?

Do they really ride as slow as they look in the YouTube videos?

woody2000

Slow
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EygF8Cu4hj4[/video]

qwerty
    Free Member

Creates perfect harmony with any facial hair.

wwaswas

It’s a mental thing like singlespeed: it either works for you or it doesn’t.

Paceman
    Free Member

Do they really ride as slow as they look in the YouTube videos?

😆 😆 😆

cooie

Had a go on my mates Fatty last night on the beach and it felt great across the soft sand, feels really stable!I was all over the place on mine. I wouldn’t say he was much slower than on his HT or FS either on our regular routes.
    I want one 😀

Paceman
    Free Member

Worth a watch over your cuppa…

[video]http://youtu.be/fmKAZ5qlqvE[/video]

rickmeister
    Bagstard
    Free Member

I have one and am currently using it for everything and it is great for some things and less so at others. Good fun on jumpy stuff, relearning how to land a bike without suspension. Great on familiar local trails, especially in gloop and just different in a good way.

Limitations for me are fast rocky descents, I blew the back tyre off the rim in the peaks recently, so definitely need to get them tubeless.
    I was running lightweight tubes to keep the weight down and they just aren’t up to the job.

A tubeless fat bike with a suspension fork would be very capable downhill, but I bought mine mainly for softer conditions and to save wear and tear on my full suss, so will most likely stay rigid.

grenosteve
    Free Member

That on-one video alone has convinced me I need a Fatbike!

Lester
    Free Member
    DaveE

Brought mine as wanted something different and haven’t ridden another bike since.
    Speak to Graham at Slam 69 and he can sort you a demo.
    http://www.slam69.co.uk/bfat-bikeb-161-c.asp

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I’ve got one.
    Why?
    Because I can.
    And more to the point, why not?
    Love it.

SaxonRider

I don’t have one, but dream every night that I will be able to get one soon.

I really, really want one.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Also, have a read of this…

Yet another STW Fat Bike thread….

ciderinsport
    Free Member

They are ace. Since getting mine over a year ago, I’ve not ridden anything else.

They are very good in slippery muddy conditions too 😆

parkesie
    Free Member

i rented one for a day at coedy just because it looked fun. It was a absolute hoot like being a 9yr old on unstopable bike. Want one.

theashnav
    Free Member

I have two – one for Winter and one for summer don’t ride another bike now both are in CIS pic above 😀

dudeofdoom

I’ve got 2 large boxes to sneak in the house from On-One…
    to go with the cough- box of spare bits 🙂

The intentions to use it with my trail dogs..its sorta different riding
    when you have mobile obstructions an hopefulyl it might slow them down, the full sus rides are knackering them..

I did want the mini but went full as I think its more versatile.

freehighlander
    Free Member

[video]http://youtu.be/9dXAucm1PMU?list=PLDksDKTS2AE3YvHRvT10CjD61j7q5TT8U[/video]

Originally got it as I was in the market for a new bike as my XC 26 er was dying. And I don’t like 29 ers cough cough

Took a punt on the Singular Puffin. I have ended up running it all summer over Root Rock Sand Bog and sand. They do it all. Great bits of kit.

A fat bike is not Just for Winter

NewRetroTom

Have got a Moonlander. Puts a massive grin on my face when I ride it!

Not too slow – I won a solo 24 hour race on mine covering 300km in 24 hours.

Bought it as I was living in the alps and was missing riding during the winter snows. It is great fun for normal riding too though.

MrGFisher
    Free Member

Having to drive miles to pick up a Trek Farley on Friday, as they are sold out in my size and no more are coming in. It will mainly be for winter gloop. Can’t wait!

SidewaysTim

If anyone wants a spin on a 9:ZERO:7, you’re welcome to try mine.

trout
    Free Member

fat bikesGary Fisher sums it up pretty well here

tomhoward

Its ace cos it’s like having a monster truck instead of a Land Rover.

(Anyone in Harrogate wants a go on one, mail in profile. shy types need not apply.)

officerfriendly
    Free Member

WOW those videos look fun, I really got to get out there on my fatbike! It really is insane fun to ride, I never get to ride it anywhere near enough! Got a jumper rasta fatbike, though in all honesty I haven’t actaully taken it to any jumps yet…. But you guys have inspired me to do so! I honestly can’t wait to get to the jumps now!

scotroutes

officerfriendly – have you been out bivvying yet? Just thinking you might want to get out before winter descends!

scotroutes
    bonesetter
    Free Member

Nice living room – did you get inspiration from this?

You need one of these tables in there 🙂

cozz
    Free Member

I love them

had fat bike for about 5 years

pugsley
    9zero7
    carver titanium
    moonlander

I’ll never be quick, so don’t care, Im a big bloke and they feel stable, I like the fact it rolls over anything, if I can’t be quick I might as well enjoy myself

currently got the moonlander as only MTB and thats fine by me
    Rourke road bike for summer road rides, you couldnt get 2 more different bikes!!!!

tomhoward

I love that Argos bike.

All 22kg of it. There’s a lot to love.

Goldigger
    Free Member

I need to get a go on one…
    Don’t know how I’d tell the Mrs I need another bike though, after just building up my 5.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

A few around the North West now.

This weekend

officerfriendly
    Free Member

@Scotroutes no I haven’t yet! Been very busy with school etc, haven’t had the time 🙁

daveells
    Free Member

Pugsley , Mukluk and now a nicolai argon fat . I don’t like any of them , fat bikes are sh1te ! Wouldn’t bother

cozz
    Free Member

ohh lets see your argon fat

new one is camo paint!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Fat bikes?
    Ridden one a few years back. Didn’t like it.
    Can’t see the point at all

So why on earth do I want one?
    Well, apart from being able to get one cheap, it’s just an itch I think i should scratch….
    Probably a Specialized Fatboy, btw.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Fat bikes?
    Ridden one a few years back. Didn’t like it.
    Can’t see the point at all

So why on earth do I want one?
    Well, apart from being able to get one cheap, it’s just an itch I think i should scratch….

I rode a FS a few years back, it was shite, never saw the point.

Just as well I gave it another go.

tomhoward

Do it, Mines ace.

paulevans
    Free Member

Looked at a Genesis Caribou the other day and then a Specialized Fatboy. Want a fatbike and will probably be one of these two, but can’t decide. One looks great for hitting the hills and staying out over night and the other looks easier to live with for general trail duties. Decisions decisions!

Anyone made the choice between these two?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Fat Bikes’ is closed to new replies.