Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • So fat bikes, actually properly usable or a bit of a gimmick?
  • deanfbm
    Free Member

Obviously seeing the fat bike edits today, the whole fat bike thing has peaked my interest a bit.

Can you use them like an actual xc/trail bike? IE clock up some miles quickly, a bit more capability that a usual hardtail/rigid on the jumps, a bit of jumping, a bit of amateur xc racing?

I just imagine the tyres/wheels are just too heavy to be remotely efficient.

How does everyone use/enjoy theirs?

scotroutes

Yes
    Yes
    Yes
    Yes
    Yes
    No
    Lots of ways

JohnClimber
    Free Member

anfbm – Member
    How does everyone use/enjoy theirs?

On my local beach

And in the dunes

fd3chris
    Free Member

I’ve just gone fat about three weeks ago and my Yeti asr7, Ibis Tranny and Salsa Spearfish haven’t been used since i got it. its simple , different and lots of fun.

wwaswas

I did an 6 hour xc race as a fat pair (vicar) in the summer and we would have been in the top third of normal bikes based on number of laps.

Would I ride the south Downs way on it? Not with the tyres it has now and at the end of the day is a 35lb so it’s going to be an effort up hills. I’ve seen fat bikes at 25lb now though so weight doesn’t have to be an issue.

If I was having one as an only bike I’d be looking more closely at weight and the tyres but I wouldn’t not have one if you see what I mean.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Yes
    Yes
    Yes
    Yes
    Yes
    No
    Lots of ways

This.

People that don’t get them will tell you you can only ride them in snow, or on beaches, but the reality Is they’re pretty much spotty dog anywhere..

Love mine.

tomhoward

Rode mine for the first time on the lbs Thursday night ride, on the total opposite of what fatbikes are known for (dry, hardpack dirt with lots of roots and rocks). It was great, laugh out loud, fun. It’s not going to replace any of my other bikes, just something a bit different. That said, I’m pretty sure I had more of a workout than everyone else over the course of the evening purely because of the drag from the tyres as the bike was broadly the same weight as all the other bikes.

bedmaker

I’m a fan. Any excuse to share my edit of Spain stokage. RAD!

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLAsqjHZb00[/video]

I just imagine the tyres/wheels are just too heavy to be remotely efficient

Turns out that it is actually imaginary.

njee20
    Free Member

Gee of this parish does 80+ mile rides on the Surrey Hills in his, and raced it in the elite category at a National XC race.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

We’ve all seen this, right?

[video]http://vimeo.com/107826210[/video]

bonesetter
    Free Member

My Fat Boy (large) is 27lbs

Very basic upgrades – tubeless, stem, bars, seatpost (OEM was very heavy), saddle, dropped front mech and extra chainring for single

Rolls faster than a mates 29er on 2,3 tyres

As of now, they are the ultimate clown bike though

tunners
    Free Member

I ride a pretty stock Charge Cooker Maxi and since I got it the full sus has hardly been out of the garage. I commute on mine over a mix of road, tow path, beach, dunes, and a bit in the woods. Whilst it not that fast, its not that much hard work either. It gets lots of attention, which can be good and bad. Lost count of the time you hear a “f***in hell look at that …” when I’m out with the kids.

officerfriendly
    Free Member

The hype is true, it really is that much fun to ride, and that alone is why you should get one! And you know you can ride them literally ANYWHERE.

40mpg

I managed to beat a third of the field at Bontrager on mine, wearing a sumo suit, on one of the hottest days of the year, stopping every lap for cider. So did my mates.

So, yes, quite rideable.

chiefgrooveguru

Can you use them like an actual xc/trail bike? IE clock up some miles quickly, a bit more capability that a usual hardtail/rigid on the jumps, a bit of jumping, a bit of amateur xc racing?

Having read enough of your posts about your idea of XC riding, I’m going to say no. I’ve never ridden one, I’m just basing it on how people I ride with ride when they’re on a fat bike.

The big issues are the lack of damping in their effective suspensions and the effect on the steering caused by the large rotational inertia and large contact patch. So from what I’ve seen in real life and in clips, they’re good at going fast, they’re good at cornering, they’re good at jumping but they’re not good at doing all three at once because there is so much energy for the rider to control. The bigger and stronger and more balanced the rider, the less of an issue it will be.

If any of the fatbikers out there are the kind of shredding machines who’d be at the pointy end of 4X or DH then do please tell me if I’m wrong!

chiefgrooveguru

I don’t think they’re a gimmick and I do think they’re properly usable! They’re probably as versatile within the wider world of MTBing as an XC race bike and more versatile than a DH bike.

tomhoward

Bonesetter, how much heft do you reckon can be lost by changing the bar, stem and saddle for something made from somewhat more exotic materials?

coastkid
    Free Member

Forget the weight thing and just ride the things!,
    Here is prob the heaviest- a Mk 1 Pugsley with 36h Marge rims and tubes along side the lightest Carbon tubeless fatbike available!
    No sand or snow in this film and still fun 🙂

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFgfcTxbQQ0&list=UUSv198UD3Wy-dBsg3K40IvQ[/video]

daveh
    Free Member

Reckon this is the answer, whatever the question:

takisawa2

Coastkid, that’s the best video I’ve seen in ages.
    First class footage, decent soundtrack & my kind of riding. Good old fashioned trail riding with a bit of looning around thrown in.
    I want a fat bike now. 😕

jimjam
    Free Member

Before I rode one I was convinced they were a bit of a gimmick, good for winter plodding maybe or messing about on fire roads and smoother single track or some trail centres.

Having ridden one as far as I’m concerned my initial impressions were right. I’m sure rider x,y or z will tell me that they can ride this or that on it, or that their friend wins dh races on theirs or whatever but I found it a chore to pedal up stuff compared to my 160mm fs with 2.4 tyres. I also took quite a beating riding rougher, faster trails. Yes I was able to ride it a bit faster than a ridgid with normal tyres but I doubt it’d be any quicker than a trail ht with 120mm forks. It goes without saying, much slower than my fs.

Any arguement for them as I see it just comes down to simplicity and back to basics fun. If it’s performance (regardless of yourprefered discipline in mtb) then there are much better bikes out there.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

jimjam – Member
    Yes but I doubt it’d be any quicker than a trail ht with 120mm forks. It goes without saying, much slower than my fs.

Would you still say the same if you rode one of these?

http://salsacycles.com/bikes/bucksaw
    http://salsacycles.com/culture/2015_digging_deeper_into_bucksaw

Just a shame there isn’t a Salsa distributor here in the UK anymore.

So
    the US price of the Bucksaw 1 is $4999 = £3,130.83
    the UK price of the Bucksaw 1 is £4999 = $7,981.90

nedrapier

I haven’t shared all of the story because it’s too stw cliche, but…

When I was in Moab, (good already isn’t it? got your dobbers ready?) riding a Mukluk on Porcupine Rim, I was having a ball on the ups and downs, overtaking guys on full-sussers, stopped round a corner after a long descent and short hoik up and heard a guy say to his buddy – “See the guy on the fatbike? He was haulin’!“. I had a grin a mile wide at this point, because I had been haulin’, and it was flippin’ brilliant.

everyone got bingo? 😀

singlespeedstu

How can you not love a bike that can stands up on it’s own. 😉

[url=https://flic.kr/p/fecDe9]2013_0721sandyasfook0066[/url] by multispeedstu, on Flickr

jimjam
    Free Member

JohnClimber

jimjam – Member
    Yes but I doubt it’d be any quicker than a trail ht with 120mm forks. It goes without saying, much slower than my fs.

Would you still say the same if you rode one of these?

Well I’d need to ride one to be sure but my guess would be a similarly specced £4000 fs with 150mm travel or more would be considerably quicker. If anyone wants to lend me a Salsa Buckshaw I’ll happily test that.

As a cheapish (not really) and cheerful play/fun bike for a change of pace then I can see the point, but as a 3,4,5 thousand pound full suss with all the maintenance, complexity and technology that comes with it, I think not.

benji
    Free Member

How can you not love a bike that can stands up on it’s own.

Is it balanced on it’s gear dangling appendage 😛

ampthill

I’ve never ridden a fatbike

But the arguments either don’t matter

For most of us it’s a hobby where we ride a bike round in a pointless circle. At the end of the day all that matters is that you enjoy it.

If people enjoy that on a fatbike you can’t really argue

jimjam
    Free Member

ampthill

If people enjoy that on a fatbike you can’t really argue

But we are men. And since the very first man noticed that his willy was different to his friends willy, men have been comparing them.

So if someone comes along saying something is better it’s natural to debate and compare.

chrisylad24
    Free Member

@singlespeedstu is that kinver by any chance?I do 90% of my rides in and around there and I am considering a fat bike due to the beach like conditions in some areas

singlespeedstu

chris.
    Yes it is Kinver.
    Most of my local riding gets done on a fatbike.
    More and more locals are converting too.

chrisylad24
    Free Member

Thought it looked familiar my riding buddy is looking at the specialized fatty think I will take a punt on a on one fatty they look great fun for our trails

Euro
    Free Member

But we are men. And since the very first man noticed that his willy was different to his friends willy, men have been comparing them.

There’s a name for men who look at the willies of other men.

Never ridden a fat bike but really would like to. I think for a lot of my local trails and for most of the year, they’d be ideal. If i get rid of my jump bike i’ll have a bike spaced hole in my shed and as i generally ride alone and at obscure times locally, there’ll be no one to make fun of me.

Coastkid, at approx 2.20 i spied a little jump and noticed you all rode around it. I’m killing three 3 baby robin’s children’s faces and it’s all on you. Shame on you 😀

jimjam
    Free Member

There’s a name for men who look at the willies of other men.

Oh YOU should definitely get one. 😆

Then I’ll see if you can live with down Swayze Train on it.

ampthill

We can debate it

But we should bear in mind that slower doesn’t have to mean less good

we have to debate the fun I suppose…..

trout
    Free Member

I am just back from a weeks riding in the Allgau region of Baveria
    with 3 fattys and 6 mtbs

we did over 20,000 feet of climbing on all types of terrain plus the descending on the same

I think we had just as much fun on the Fat bikes as the others on the skinny tyred mtb`s

singlespeedstu

Trout.
    Is that a medium frame?

100mm or 120mm fork?

trout
    Free Member

Yes Stu medium fatty with 100 mm Blutos
    love it

rickmeister

just back from three days trail riding in livigno, not a beach or bit of snow or sand in sight… just high alps dusty trails and it was brilliant. So I guess we did ok.. Write up on here to follow ..

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

There are few around the Swanage area in Dorset never seen so many.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Bed maker – that’s a great video.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘So fat bikes, actually properly usable or a bit of a gimmick?’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM