Home Forums Bike Forum Farmer John’s for someone who can’t jump?

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Farmer John’s for someone who can’t jump?
  • ossify

I’ve had a learn to jump course booked at Farmer John’s that’s been cancelled twice now, bah :(

No time to rebook before we’re going away but as time’s booked off work already, maybe I’ll go there anyway by myself.

Never been there and can’t jump very well… will I die? Ok with some jumps if they’re not too big or steep or scary, same with drops. I’d rather not die or break myself/my bike just two days before we go on holiday (where I hope to ride Fort William).

Thoughts?

keefezza
    Free Member

You can easily be ride the jumps without jumping, plus there’s a steep woods section at the bottom.

silentgrunt

Yeah i’d still go and have a mess around. The steep woods section has a fair few tracks through it which are fun to session.

As Keefezza says most of the jumps are rollable anyway. Take a look at ben cathros video ‘how to jump’ – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB5GmIL0slg&t=748s this taught me the basics before having any coaching.

sharkattack

I’ve been dying to visit Farmer John’s but I haven’t found the time yet. I’m also crap at jumping. If anyone wants to go along and be terrible together let me know.

nbt

I live within walking distance of Farmer John’s. I have been several times, but only on foot to watch / photograph races or en route to somewhere else. I can’t jump. Actually that’s not true, I CAN jump I just have fear of doing so as I’m not sure I can land safely.

I really should go up there and learn

scaled
    Free Member

@sharkattack i’d be up for that, next couple of weeks are hectic though.

Could look at a group coaching session if there’s a few of us

sharkattack

I’m free Friday to  Monday every week because I’m a bloody part timer. School holidays though innit, once the Mrs goes back to work it’s party time.

ossify

Ok, I’ll probably get along there later this evening and have a play around :-)

What’s the worst that could happen?

crazy-legs

I’d be up for going. I also can’t jump but it’s only 10 mins from mine so I should make the effort.

Edit: did I see somewhere that full face helmets were mandatory…? That cuts me out…

Second edit: website says full face helmets are mandatory. And they don’t hire them. I knew there was a reason I’d not been there other than just being a bit crap!

sharkattack

What’s the worst that could happen?

Machete Gang Targets Mountain Bikers

ossify

I didn’t actually want that question answered, thank you very much!

@crazy-legs
    Yes they are. I got a 7idp M1 from Tredz, seems the most affordable at £65

nbt

TBF that article is a couple of years old, though someone had their e-bike taken at knifepoint in Whaley Bridge a couple of days ago

and likewise, I don’t have a full face helmet

keefezza
    Free Member

I may be there Sunday with the wife and 2 boys (13 yes old been before and oozes confidence, 9yr olds first trip) if anybody goes there. I’ll be on a rocketmax so say hi.

ossify

Ok, that was great. Everything’s a lot bigger/harder/steeper than it looks on Youtube!

Explored everywhere and even went down the steep bit in the woods, had a couple of “ohshitohshitohshitimgonnadie” moments but made it down alive, rode maybe 80-90% of it. Gave me a new respect for downhillers, seeing that kind of thing up close!

The line of jumps in the car park is great for practising, I probably spent about 45mins just there, determined to make that double cleanly before going home… didn’t quite manage, but got much better overall. Some of the people there just make it look so effortless.

10/10 would go again

funkrodent

I’ve been meaning to go there for some time. I’ve a full face helmet in the shed, unused for about 10yrs other than the colony of wasps that made their home in it a couple of years ago. If a visit is sorted I’m in in principle

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

The line of jumps in the car park is great for practising, I probably spent about 45mins just there, determined to make that double cleanly before going home… didn’t quite manage, but got much better overall. Some of the people there just make it look so effortless.

Take a slightly longer run up. Skim/squash the first three small tables/lumps. The third little table is key, you need to land it perfectly on the downslope to get a crank in before the double. With a reasonable pop you will clear it and cruise on to overshoot all but one of the rest of the jumps!

Edit: Most people seem to hang about on the jumps, the surfaced tracks and less so the woods. You sort of need two different suspension setups to ride both optimally. Rock hard for the jumps and much softer for the DH tracks.

Stevet1

If the timing is right I could be up for a session here, never been but would love to give it a try.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

FYI the first jump from the top start hut, after the drops is the cause of many having to take an early bath at A&E. It’s no where near the biggest most daunting feature, but probably the most dangerous for first-timers in the park! You come barrelling into it off the drops and can get bucked to oblivion if you’re not ready, as the takeoff is surprisingly abrupt and the landing way too small.

When you get the hang of it, you can either brake check and land on the downslope or **** it, pull up and boom it to flat. There is a better option of taking the bigger left-hand jump line, which although bigger rides better!

Stevet1

Good advice, thanks.

keefezza
    Free Member

Fair comment on the jump, it is a kicky little number. Some of those in the middle aren’t great either but I’m terrible at jumping.

Looking like we’re going tomorrow now.

Rich_s

Thanks for the post about this. Booked a session for junior #1 and #2 for 1:1 coaching there, and I’ll ask for a jumps and drops session.

sharkattack

Does anyone know if there’s anything in the area to entertain a toddler? I really want to go over there for the first time and I can either go solo or take the Mrs and Junior. I’m sure they’d spectate for a but he’d be bored in an hour. It looks like there’s not much around according to google maps.

Garry_Lager

There’s a soft play in a mill building in Marple.

The same Etherow woods FJs is in are nice for short walks and there’s a cafe by the lake. Different way in though, but not far.

only1mikey

We’re local and have a 2 yr old… there’s a decent options tbh…

Either the park/playground at Memorial Park up the road in Marple.  Or there’s a small ‘farm’ at Roman Lakes (Google The Garden House – Marple).  Can either park there, or park at Marple Bridge car park – behind the Midland pub, and walk along a footpath next to the River Goyt to the Garden House that way.  There’s also the canal and locks which my lad enjoys seeing ducks, narrow boats, etc…

Other option is Etherow Country Park – can get busy but always a space.  My lad loves it there.

Libby’s in Marple Bridge does nice cake’s, etc.. to take-away also.

scaled
    Free Member

Does anyone know if there’s anything in the area to entertain a toddler?

Take the toddler over to the Garden House on lakes road, there’s a playground and animals to stroke and look at. It’s a really nice walk from the back of the car park in Marple Bridge to the garden house, then stop for a pint in the Norfolk arms afterwards

sharkattack

Nice one, thanks for the info. Wasn’t expecting so many options! Might try it out next week some time.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Well there you go point proven. Here it is on this weeks Friday Fails #328.

Caning it then bucked to oblivion. Which one of you lot was it?

To think the jump has been reshaped twice, it used to be worse!

ossify

FYI the first jump from the top start hut, after the drops is the cause of many having to take an early bath at A&E. It’s no where near the biggest most daunting feature, but probably the most dangerous for first-timers in the park! You come barrelling into it off the drops and can get bucked to oblivion if you’re not ready, as the takeoff is surprisingly abrupt and the landing way too small.

When you get the hang of it, you can either brake check and land on the downslope or **** it, pull up and boom it to flat. There is a better option of taking the bigger left-hand jump line, which although bigger rides better!

Well I chickened out of the drops at the top, so that’s not a problem haha

They look fine on camera but HUGE and steep up close. They’re my second target, after getting that double…

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.