Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • Fantastic Service from Hong Kong
  • Woody
    Free Member

Ordered a pair of Avid BB7's last Thursday night (Ebay Allez-bid) and the postie handed them to me this morning ? Perfectly packed, brand spanking new and a fair bit cheaper than I could find them in the UK even if I had been stung for duty, which I wasn't 8)

I feel a bit guilty for not buying from LBS or at least a UK based company. However, I'm still waiting for the largest mail order boys to sort out the 2nd balls up in a row they have made on a simple tube purchase, so on balance I'm well chuffed 😆

Sancho
    Free Member

I wouldnt feel guilty about not buying from your LBS or UK co.
    We should all buy from abroad and then hopefully a few bike shops wil go bust and then the hong kong companies might step in and organise local races, support local cycle clubs and teams and help UK riders compete and get better and hopefully then we might have a better UK race scene and local cycling projects will all benefit. and hopefully you might **** off to hong kong too.

Woody
    Free Member

Touched a nerve have I Sancho?

When I'm feeling charitable I give my money directly to charity, not by way of supporting an uncompetitive LBS. I used to, and got roundly shafted by someone who didn't know the meaning of customer service.

I would love a decent LBS round my way but there isn't one and as I presume you are not around Durham, there is not a lot you can do to help. BTW I trust that attitude is reserved for this site and not your customers !

Edric64
    Free Member

That's harsh I will buy from wherever is cheapest, this year that includes China as I couldn't get what I wanted elsewhere.I couldn't give a **** about shops or the race scene all I see is new vans ouside shops and owners moaning how hard it is.Then you see race entries north of 30 quid ,**** that just get out and ride

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

then we might have a better UK race scene

if you care about this (and I don't), might you not be better giving money directly to people who organise races rather than hoping a shop might give a bit of what you pay to them ?

Woody
    Free Member

SFB

According to his profile Sancho owns a bike shop.

I also couldn't give a monkeys about racing. What I do care about is that I work f@%+#ing hard for the money I earn and I am not in a position to pay over the odds so that a shop can support a local 'scene'. I was always under the impression that this 'support' was a form of marketing and tax deductable anyway, or is Sancho in the bike biz for purely philanthropic reasons rather than just making a living?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

According to his profile Sancho owns a bike shop.

yeah, I got that, but most of us don't…

Sancho
    Free Member

I believe passionately about cycling in many forms.

I support a big team, and organise races, local rides and help local community projects, work with local council to sort access rights on local moorland and woods, support trail building groups and try my best to get money from councils to develop cycling projects in the area, like a local trials park and a dirt jump/mtb skills area in the local woods.
    I have a bike shop its called Crosstrax in Leeds, not too worried about people knowing who I am.

I don't expect charity, we do our best to compete on price and service and can usually beat most online sellers, but we have to pay VAT and duty on imported goods etc etc so we're not always cheapest, but then we fit stuff and help local riders with their bikes for nowt if it dosent warrant a lot of work, and have a big pile of second hand bits that we can give riders if they need them.
    apologies for telling you to go to hong kong 🙂

juan
    Free Member

Well you arer right buy it all at the cheapset price available, and while your at it just makes sure you vote for the people that will makes sure that you pay less taxes. Obviously then after that I don't want to hear you moaning/crying that your child is going to die because you just can't pay for the operation that will save his/hers life. After all cheap bike bits/SUV/Flat screen are much much more important.

But what am I thinking. It's got nowt to do, the important is that you've saved money don't you…

juan
    Free Member

Sancho don't bother SFB don't like biking. He just like ot take picture of girls bum. I have yet to see him shovelling to maintain a trail at some point.

It's all good to try to get the cheapest price. We don't all earn 3000 £ a month. But then you could just buy a deore mech rather than a XT. If you are good enought to tell the difference, you can probably get a sponsorship.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Theres no way i'll support a UK company if they don't earn the trade- it doesn't have to be the best price, but good service goes a long way.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

SFB don't like biking

with respect, you're quite wrong! I'm obsessed with it – but girls' bums are good too.

I have yet to see him shovelling to maintain a trail at some point.

nor likely to, I don't like purpose built trails enough to want to help make them!

zaskar
    Free Member

I would be interested to see what warranty you will get out of buying abroad which is open to duty on returns again.

I love my LBS's btw.

juan
    Free Member

Yeah because you never use pupose trails, nor do you use 'normal' trails simon don't you.

soobalias
    Free Member

the old "i work **** hard for my money"

so i cant afford to care about local business, the wider economy or the environment – so long as i get what i want when i want it for the lowest price thats all that counts.

its ok, soon you will be able to buy your BB7's from tesco.

greed and selfishness have taken over from tea as the building blocks for this country

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Yeah because you never use pupose trails, nor do you use 'normal' trails simon don't you.

who's rattled your cage ? Mountain biking is a voluntary activity, and you also have a choice what way (if any) you choose to support its infrastructure 🙂

juan
    Free Member

Well simon no one rattled my cage, but I am rather pissed off of leeches like you. Riding trail never help in maintaining them. See you are right, you are not oblige to support mountain biking. However people like you are the reason why natural trails are banned to mountain biking. Ride, upset walkers and never help in trail building that's for sure is going to do a lot of good to the sport.

Woody
    Free Member

FFS STW at its best 🙄

I don't expect charity, we do our best to compete on price and service and can usually beat most online sellers, but we have to pay VAT and duty on imported goods etc etc so we're not always cheapest

Believe me Sancho, if there was a bike shop, like you appear to have, locally, I would use it. I have no problem paying extra for that type of service and would very much prefer it to having to order online.

Juan/SOOBalius – What a pair of self-righteous pricks who obviously work tirelessly for charity and have no impact on the environment whatsoever 🙄 Get things right before you accuse me of being greedy/selfish and start lecturing me about how I spend my net (ie. after tax & N.I. contributions) wages. Comparing a bike part purchase to non-treatment of a child or buying a TV/SUV is a ridiculous leap. FYI I live in a small village and do the vast majority of my shopping locally, even though a 5 minute drive would get me within range of several shopping centres etc. I assume neither of you buy anything that has to be imported or, god forbid, shop in a supermarket?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

but I am rather pissed off of leeches like you.
    However people like you are the reason why natural trails are banned to mountain biking

but actually, there is no ban as such, and any lack of right of way is largely irrelevant as it cannot be enforced, moreover, the situation came about before there were any mountain bikers, let alone me doing it. We all have our differing approaches to the matter, and my blatant civil disobedience is calculatedly confrontational.

kevonakona
    Free Member

I'm looking at horse shins…………

Them's some mighty tall horses.

soobalias
    Free Member

its not your actions its your attitude that evidently requires a change.

Woody
    Free Member

Enlighten me, I'm obviously a simpleton who has no idea of the 'big picture'.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I'm obviously a simpleton who has no idea of the 'big picture'.

me too 🙂

simpleton-leech-simon

Woody
    Free Member

simpleton-leech-simon

You for got 'letch' (not Matt obviously) 😉

ctznsmith
    Free Member

I think someone putting the anti-buying from abroad stance out there is necessary, as this thread might promote others who do have a good LBS to buy from abroad rather than seek out said LBS and support it.

Perhaps it could have been put a bit better mind, there are definite benefits to local bike shops including as mentioned warranty and advice. As well as the fact that 'touching' stuff/seeing it in the flesh is good!

Currently the 'bike trade' for want of a better term is generally based on independent shops, I'd hate to seet it go the way of food/books/music where the large chainstore rules.

Although I'm biased as I will be employed by an LBS in under a months time. So I need them to survive so I can pay the rent! 😉

HTTP404
    Free Member

Wow. There's some rather personal and vitriolic responses here. My question to those who've berated the OP is – what is your stance on the likes of CRC or Wiggle?

Biking isn't cheap. I do all my own bike maintenance. I'll reserve my right to buy from the cheapest source available. That's fair economics isn't it? And if and when I do need an lbs – no doubt they'll invoice me accordingly.

Somewhere an lbs has shot himself in the foot and somebody in France is digging himself a large hole.

soobalias
    Free Member

a demonstration of the attitude you display in this thread

and a fair bit cheaper than I could find them in the UK even if I had been stung for duty, which I wasn't

an of course this is your thread, you started a gloating thread after all – only you know what made you do that.

a demonstration of your actions.

I live in a small village and do the vast majority of my shopping locally

only provided to us as a part of your defence……

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Annoyingly, I'm with SFB on this one.

If I wanted to suppourt local races I'd enter the gorric (sp?) series, I don't race so don't bother. If I wanted to ride trail centers I'd pay my membership and got dig for Swinley, I don't wan't to so don't pay or dig.

None of the reasons for buying from an LBS is partuculalry alturisitc, after all they don't run races for the fun of it, they do it to promote the shop at the end of the day, and encourage locals to ride bikes, wear stuff out and hopefully shop at the place they see advertised on the course tape and finish line.

I do shop localy if I need the convenience and its not worth the wait for CRC etc. If I want a set of forks for £250, do I buy the Tora's from an LBS or the revelations from on-one or merlin? You'd have to be pretty blinkered to believe that you'd see enough other benifits from the LBS to make up for the difference in fork.

duckman

Jings, Juan/soobalis.Wind your necks in!

Woody
    Free Member

Gloating ? I think not. I was actually astonished that the goods turned up so quickly and cheaply.

only provided to us as a part of your defence

PML – honest 'guv it was just a momentary lapse, I won't do it again, I've got a daughter at uni and this wicked country is charging fees for education, used to work down the pit and Thatcher closed it, then the factories, it's grim oop north, my dog needed the vet, my car failed it's MOT (and it's only a little 998cc environmentally friendly car which I use very rarely), I tried to be a vegetarian but my missus left me 'cos I farted all the time, I hardly cycle at all as it saves rubber and when I do I wash the clothes I use a 'friendly' detergent, I buy my clothes at Oxfam and shop at The Co-op as they are nice to poor people and I occassionally help old ladies across the road, so please be gentle with me and I promise never to do it (whatever heinous crime it was that I'm supposed to have committed) again. 😥

juan
    Free Member

Nope I won't and I really don't believe I am digging myself in the hole. As mention before did the OP paid the VAT and duty (that goes in the gvt pot who pays for the NHS)? I don't think so. But then it's a "free" market so you're right buy stuff where you want. But then don't complain when the shit hit the fan. As for LBS having brand new vans I have yet to see that.

EDIT the NHS or the Education for what matters to you.

duckman

So how much do YOU contribute to the NHS or education living in the South of France.

HTTP404
    Free Member

he's probably too busy mail ordering his spare parts to answer.

EDIT – and I do believe crc are doing a roaring trade over in France with the pound being so weak against the Euro.

Sancho
    Free Member

Woody apologies for the sharp response earlier, I was frustrated at filling out a PQQ for Leeds Council, but theyve just issued an adendum, so Im a lot more chilled now.

PS if you want an entry in the Etape du dales give me a shout I sponsor the event with the numbers and have a few entries spare.

Ed

juan
    Free Member

Duckman to the UK NHS none. To the French NHS at the standard rate (all included about 600€ a month and that is before I got stung by the income taxe). Crc might put a lot of LBS out of business but:
    They are in the UK/EU so you pay for taxes when you buy online with them. They are a bike shop with a workshop and a showroom. The only problem I have with them is selling grey stuff when they shouldn't.

jasonm945
    Free Member

So You're in France and you buy from the UK, and then justify not using your LBS because you pay "tax".
    Mmmm I see the point you're trying to make???

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

ive got a newish van…but then i try and offer great service advice and make an honest living(and it seems to work) plus i can write off more vat on a new van/and pay a little less tax..

but some people will never appreciate any of what i do,which is fine,it just means i have to concentrate on the people that do… :lol:cos they pay the bills!

Woody
    Free Member

Sancho

No problem and I appreciate the offer but I am in no shape to do anything remotely competitive so please give it to someone who deserves it.

In retrospect my post was a tad ill-judged and most definitely not meant as a slight against good LBS but more bemoaning the fact that I don't have one! You are not a million miles away from me (86.5 to be exact)so I may well give you a call. Do you service/repair Campag ergo's ?

Juan
    I did not dodge VAT/Duty, they simply didn't charge me on the import. And don't start me on the French NHS. I happen to work for the NHS in the UK and pay considerable amounts in both income tax and NI contributions to keep it going. One thing I do know is I'm damned sure we wouldn't ask an injured French national to pay for their treatment and insist they go to a chemist to buy sutures before any treatment, as has happened to me twice in France despite having full insurance cover and E111. So don't give me your holier-than-thou attitude that my overseas purchase will be responsible for the demise of the UK NHS.

Sort out the shortcomings in your own Country first. 😈

juan
    Free Member

I did not dodge VAT/Duty, they simply didn't charge me on the import.

Well you could have just call them and ask them to regularise you, no?

Sort out the shortcomings in your own Country first.

I buy my stuff at the LBS thanks very much.

Woody
    Free Member

Well you could have just call them and ask them to regularise you, no?

I'm pretty regular thanks, even more so when I am in France. Must be the exercise or the food………………………………

I buy my stuff at the LBS thanks very much.

Well there we go, just get Gordon or CallmeDave to open a bike shop and the UK will be saved.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Fantastic Service from Hong Kong’ is closed to new replies.