Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Fancy a new job? Fell top assessor for Lake District weatherline
  • grumm
    Free Member

We are looking for a Fell Top Assessor to assess and report on the fell conditions from the summit area of Helvellyn from December through to April. These reports are featured on the daily weather forecast featured on Weatherline (opens in new window).

Working seven days on and seven days off, including weekends and bank holidays, you will need to be able to climb from Glenridding to the summit of Helvellyn and back in four hours. Working on your own, you must have winter mountaineering skills and experience, a first aid qualification and be able to assess conditions underfoot, including snow and ice conditions.

http://www.lakedistrict.gov.uk/job-39

Damn wrong forum, sorry.

dickydutch

I'm sure this was advertised last year too. A year in a job isn't such a long time. Maybe it's not as good as it sounds?!

higgo
    Free Member

Or his winter mountaineering skills weren't up to scratch?

Sirneildementure
    Free Member

That sounds like a real PIA of a job. You have to go up Helevellyn every day, by the same route, whatever the weather. By the time you'd done the first month you'd be bored to tears, then after you'd done a year you'd be close to a breakdown. Helvellyn may be a great mountain, and I've been up it approx 50 times, but every single day going up and down the same paths? No thank you.

crazy-legs

I'd set this up at the top and put a web cam next to it.

Saves the effort of actually walking up there… 😉

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Why not just build a shed on the top and live in it ?

the-muffin-man

A lone person walking up and down Helvellyn in snow and ice on a regular basis – how does that comply with any sort of health and safety regs!!?
    😉

pjt201
    Free Member

hmm, £504 a month at the highest payscale… Hardly seems worth it to me!

elliptic
    Free Member

I'm sure this was advertised last year too

Advertised most years and usually makes the local papers – it's a regular bit of publicity for the park rangers.

Why not just build a shed on the top and live in it ?

They actually did on Ben Nevis in the 1800s… linky

Drac

A year? Last time I checked December to April wasn't a year.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Fancy a new job? Fell top assessor for Lake District weatherline’ is closed to new replies.