Viewing 40 posts - 1,241 through 1,280 (of 1,908 total)
  • F1 2020 (spoilers abound)
  • retro83
    Free Member

The actual racing is already carbon offset and only makes up under 1% of the total carbon, the elephant in the room is the emissions from logistics.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I thought the aim was to be totally clean in less than 5 years?

retro83
    Free Member

Reading Schumacher in at Alfa, Giovinazi out, looking for a decent source…edit – ignore – bullshit source

eddiebaby

I thought the aim was to be totally clean in less than 5 years?

Yeah I think that’s the longer term goal, 10 years or something.

Weirdly i read an article about f1 already being carbon offset since 97
    https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/56953/f1-already-carbon-neutral-since-1997

the-muffin-man

Looking like Baku might be off the calendar next season. I know F1 loves going to countries run by despots and dictators but I can’t remember them going to countries actively at war.

retro83
    Free Member

More from missed apex on RB taking over the Honda engine:

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Remember when F1 could only afford 1 camera on a car per race?

Who was the driver who was often the selected camera car but often seemed to be out in the early stages?

pondo

Ooo, good question – I had to look it up! 🙂

They’d had cameras before, but only in practice – Depailler at Montreal in the wet is fantastic (Convert won’t like it 😉 ).

papamountain
    Free Member

Class!

Klunk
    Free Member

fog delays play

hols2
    Free Member

PJM1974
    Free Member

Shame that Mick didn’t get his chance to run in FP1.

The weather is going to throw a few curveballs this weekend, tyre management in cold, damp conditions will be interesting.

johndoh
    Free Member

I assume if the helicopter can’t fly during the planned race time it will be cancelled then?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Yep. No chopper, no action. (Not the title of the John Wayne Bobbett autobiography).

tomhoward

Kimi’s answer to a ‘how are you going to get/keep the tyres to temperature’ question yesterday: ‘Drive fast.’

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Tomorrow morning is going to be a bit intense.

hols2
    Free Member

reluctantjumper

I assume if the helicopter can’t fly during the planned race time it will be cancelled then?

There used to be a requirement to have an alternative option for road transportation to a designated hospital specifically for the race but not for practice, hopefully that is still in place. I think it was to account for a big crash where there were more casualties than spaces on the helicopter, it was all detailed in Sid Watkins’ book but that’s a decade old now.

Be a real shame if the weekend is cancelled, a mixed condition race with no time for the teams to optimise setups and strategies could be brilliant fun!

eddiebaby
    Free Member

They’ve set up a heliport below the usual cloud bank. It’s close enough to drive there in an ambulance, transfer to the chopper and get to the hospital inside the time limit.

Bez

Surely that rubber duck should have been called Quack Brabham.

Anyway, the race looks to have some potential judging by qualifying.

Amused by Vettel saying that his result was “the best I could do with this car” when his teammate is 7 places further up the grid 🤔

mashr

Sounds like a pretty honest statement from Vettel. If it was “that’s as good as can be done with the car” then there’d be reason to question it

Daffy

Yeah but in Q2, 0.1 of a second separated p4 and P10. Leclerc could have easily found himself P10. Admittedly Vettel is still 0.4s off the back of that group.

Bez

Sounds like a pretty honest statement from Vettel.

Well, yeah, that’s kind of what I mean: kind of an admission that he can’t drive through the shortcomings of the car on the way that drivers like Alonso, Hamilton or Verstappen can.

Anyway, more importantly, given that the duck belongs to Williams I suppose it should be Quack Villeneuve.

tomhoward

Not Ayrton Swimma?

hols2
    Free Member

Sounds like a pretty honest statement from Vettel.

This headline says a lot – they don’t understand what is happening with their car.

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2020/10/10/leclerc-at-a-loss-to-explain-ferraris-improved-pace/

mashr

Well, yeah, that’s kind of what I mean: kind of an admission that he can’t drive through the shortcomings of the car on the way that drivers like Alonso, Hamilton or Verstappen can.

Ah, getcha now. Usually around here any Vettel quoting is an attempt at sniping

Agree on the duck though

Klunk
    Free Member

the car breaker!

Bez

Usually around here any Vettel quoting is an attempt at sniping

Well it sort of was 🙂 I seem to be morbidly fascinated by Vettel’s tribulations over the past three years or so.

Decent race. Turn 1 looked a bit slippery at points 🙂

hols2
    Free Member
    Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

While I do feel a bit sorry for Bottas and his bad luck with the engine I can’t help feeling that his misplaced confidence at the end of the Russian GP was shown up this weekend. Sure, an outstanding qualifying lap and was very feisty at the first couple of corners but, once again, buckled under the pressure. Not sure if he would have been able to hold off Max V for the race or not. I think his retirement has all but confirmed Lewis as World Champion for this season

mashr

I thought Lewis securing the world champs was basically secured around 4 races ago?

the-muffin-man

When Albon was backed into the garage my first thought was Helmut had sacked him on the spot and told him to go a clear his motorhome! 🙂

Until they have a top-drawer driver from their driver academy they need to stick Hulk or Perez in that car. They won’t challenge Max but they would bring the second car home in decent points scoring positions.

BigJohn

I assume that wasn’t the ski helmet that Mick was handing over.

mashr

BigJohn

I assume that wasn’t the ski helmet that Mick was handing over.

Don’t be a dick.

hols2
    Free Member

Daffy

Daffy
    My guess is that Red Bull will buy/lease Honda’s engine IP and have someone like Cosworth, build supply and develop the engine from which they then buy it, at least in the short term.

Hell, an independent engine supplier might also be able to supply to Haas and others. The Honda engine seems pretty darn good, so I doubt it’s going to go away entirely. It’ll be bought by someone and sold back into F1.

Honda don’t want to commit resources to developing a dead end, but if they can generate revenue from existing infrastructure and IP, they’d be mad not to lease it out and recover some of their sunk costs.

Look like I was right:

Link to Planet F1 Article

hols2
    Free Member

A one year ban for Stroll seems appropriate to me given that they blatantly lied about it and put the entire sport at risk. I’m sure Perez or Hulkenberg would probably agree to sub.

retro83
    Free Member

My recollection was that Otmar said he’d been feeling unwell from after the Socchi GP, but anyway here’s his (pr friendly) statement that contradicts that.

retro83
    Free Member

hols2
    Free Member

My recollection was that Otmar said he’d been feeling unwell from after the Socchi GP,

Yep, if they’d known beforehand, they would have had Hulkenberg all ready to go. They lied about it because they didn’t want everyone he’d been in contact with to be quarantined. At the very least that would have excluded his side of the garage, quite possibly both sides. They delayed the test until after the race because they are in close contention for 3rd in the championship and cannot afford to not race.

That’s easy to understand, but if it had turned into a super-spreader event, it probably would have meant all races would be cancelled until covid is gone (i.e. 2022 season at the earliest). That would likely have put half the teams out of business and crippled the sport. Massively irresponsible.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,241 through 1,280 (of 1,908 total)

The topic ‘F1 2020 (spoilers abound)’ is closed to new replies.