• This topic has 2,563 replies, 197 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Bez.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,601 through 1,640 (of 2,564 total)
  • F1 2017 (Bound to contain spoilers!)
  • nemesis
    Free Member

It’s pretty clear cut.

LH didn’t do anything wrong. SV made a mistake and in the heat of the moment massively over-reacted. Doesn’t excuse it and doesn’t do him any credit still denying that he cocked up.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

If I was a betting man I’d put a tenner on sweet fa happening to Vettel other than lots of frowning from the powers that be.

the-muffin-man

If I was a betting man I’d put a tenner on sweet fa happening to Vettel other than lots of frowning from the powers that be.

Ditto – if Hamilton had won the race (which he would easily have done), the fallout wouldn’t have been half as bad.

bill-oddie
    Free Member

Yeh I’d agree he should just admit he’s in the wrong – however I think the punishment for what he actually did is enough.

Driving into the back of LH was a racing incident and then the bit pulling alongside him wasn’t dangerous really – just a bit of a weird and very unsportsman-like behaviour. Really wasn’t impressed with that!

Having said that – if it wasn’t for Vettel being a ridiculously competetive nutter we’d have another massive snorefest season where the other ridiculously competetive nutter Lewis hamilton just drives off at the start of every race and then wins all the time. Boring!

Nice guys usually finish last (well not consistently at the front) in F1 – it needs self obbsessed, tantrum throwing nutjobs to make it interesting. At the moment we have are lucky to have three great candidates to make it entertaining – Max V, LH and SV.

Anyway to summarise – what I’m trying to say is that Vettel is a ****. Long live the **** and put them all into F1 cos they make the racing exciting!
    (and don’t punish Vettel to the point where he’s out of contention for the title – cos its more exciting when there are more potential champs)

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Vettel is a disgrace and got off lightly.

Pook

I’m still wanting to see what punishment Mercedes get for the failing safety equipment…..

Being ordered into the pit to fix it and losing 22 seconds not enough for you?

Twodogs

the bit pulling alongside him wasn’t dangerous

No, but steering into him was a) potentially dangerous (could have damaged LH’s suspnsion b) massively unsportsmanlike, and setting a crap example

Losing his points for that race would leave him in contention, but prove that the FIA care about safe driving, as they claim

legend
    Free Member

Should’ve been a black and orange flag as soon as he was racing and faffing at the same time. Being less facetious, I do wonder if scrutineering had a look/word

the-muffin-man

I do wonder if scrutineering had a look/word

He was instructed to come in by the stewards.

Klunk
    Free Member

“my car veered off cos my other hand was giving him the bird” Lewis should have taken a leaf out of footballs book and taken a “dive” and veered off into the barrier when seb hit him and then feigned injury. That should have got all his (seb) wdc points taken off him 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

Driving into the back of LH was a racing incident

they were under the safety car they were not racing

dufusdip
    Free Member

Strange how the race lap counter was going down. The pace of the race might be controlled but the race was still live.

legend
    Free Member

He was instructed to come in by the stewards

I mean a proper look at the mechanism to see why it could fail.

andysmiff1
    Free Member

Breaking news…….

FIA to have meeting 3/7/17

Wonder if they’ll put Seb on the naughty step?!

nemesis
    Free Member

FIA confirms Vettel/Hamilton investigation

Interesting point here on the Mexico points decision regarding setting an example. I know this is a different type of transgression but you could make a solid case that the point holds.

The governing body noted then: “The FIA will always condemn the use of offensive language in motor sport – especially when directed at officials and/or fellow participants – and expects all participants in its Championships to be respectful and mindful of the example they set for the public and the younger generation in particular.

bill-oddie
    Free Member

they were under the safety car they were not racing

Grey area as it was coming up to restart. I’d argue that there is a competetive element to that.

nemesis
    Free Member

Actually it’s not. They’re still under safety car conditions with the lead car taking on that role which is why you still can’t overtake anyone. You can position all you like but there are rules for the lead car (which LH adhered to) and everyone else.

igm

You can position all you like

Vettel’s defence 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

as noted the safety car is the equivalent of stopping the race and restarting except they go round in a procession with no one allowed to “race”

the race officially restarts

When the safety car is ready to leave the circuit it will extinguish its orange lights, indicating to the drivers that it will peel off. Drivers must continue in formation until they cross the first safety car line, where green lights will indicate they are free to race again. However, DRS will not be re-enabled until two racing laps have been completed.

Seems clear to me its a procession and not a race until the safety car has gone

Yes the race is still live but they are not allowed to race
    therefore its not possible to have a “racing incident” as you are not actually racing. Its just a driver error/mistake/miscalculation or failure to follow the rules. same as if you ram someone on the procession lap – its not a racing incident in the sense it is usually applied

igm

Aacch, he was just bumping shoulders to say “oi, hammerman dinnae be dayin’ that eggen”. 😉

PS does anyone else thing someone named Lewis Hamilton ought to be Scots?

dragon
    Free Member

Button doesn’t seem to think it’s a big deal:

BBC Sport F1

igm

Nor Brawn on the same link.

aracer
    Free Member

I’ve not seen it mentioned at all, but didn’t Vettel also overtake LH during that incident? For which he hasn’t been penalised – yet…

Junkyard
    Free Member

i suspect he never actually got truly past his he just rammed him then side swiped him but he should not be at his side

I think the rules say must not overtake rather than must stay behind though

aracer
    Free Member

I’m being pedantic, but from the clips I saw I’m fairly sure he got his nose in front.

Junkyard
    Free Member

tbh I dont disagree he should never have been there he then rams him

Its hard to understand why they gave such a small penalty for such a major [ series of]transgressions resulting in a deliberate crash into another car.

dufusdip
    Free Member

Also being pedantic a racing incident happens during the race rather than there needing to be a competitive state.

If they weren’t racing, the entire penalty system does not apply. It is still considered to be racing albeit neutralised.

INCIDENTS DURING THE RACE
    38.1 The race director may report any on-track incident or suspected breach of these Sporting
    Regulations or the Code (an “Incident”) to the stewards. After review it shall be at the
    discretion of the stewards to decide whether or not to proceed with an investigation.

thepurist

All this pedantry is like being back in the days when Spanky ran the FIA. Joe Saward makes an interesting point that Todt has pushed the FIA as a road safety organisation so having its most visible stars driving in an unsafe manner doesn’t sit well with that, especially when he’s up for re election soon.

Junkyard
    Free Member

pedantic a racing incident happens during the race rather than there needing to be a competitive state.

I disagree a racing incident is when two people are racing and something happens like they both go for the same corner or some such – ie its just one of the inherent risks or consequences of racing and nobody tried to hit anyone it just happened

That was not even one of the inherent consequences of the safety car system never mind racing so it cannot be considered a racing incident – perhaps the hitting him from behind but certainly not the pulling alongside gesticulating then hitting

Had they done that at full speed in a race it would still not be a racing incident it was a deliberated hit

Junkyard
    Free Member

I would of thought if there was one person to approve of germans hitting people then it was he 😉

disclaimer he rightly sued them for the nazi slur and won libel for it and anyone is free to do as they please in the bedroom with consent between adults
    its just a joke.

bruneep

https://twitter.com/RedHourBen/status/880113885314822144

LH challanged to Dodge ball can SV be on other team?

atlaz
    Free Member

Todt has pushed the FIA as a road safety organisation

This explains the Raphael Nadal road safety posters around here I guess. What a tennis player knows about road safety more than, say, the average bloke in the street I’m not sure.

Rich_s
    the-muffin-man

Yep – end of an era. No matter what you think of him he transformed McLaren into one of the most successful teams ever.

beanum

does anyone else thing someone named Lewis Hamilton ought to be Scots?

The other Lewis Hamilton is from Perth:
    https://www.facebook.com/lewishamiltonband/

the-muffin-man

Scathing blog on Ferrari by Darren Heath (saught out after reading Joe Sawards blog)…

http://www.darrenheath.com/blog/disgracing-themselves

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

Ok I’m gonna say it..

Ron Dennis to enter a new F1 team with Chinese backers.. there you go!

Also possibly taking a Merc / honda engine too.

the-muffin-man

He’s got £275m to play with! 😀

There were rumours he was behind a deal to buy Manor earlier this year. I don’t think we’ve seen the last of him.

Northwind

igm – Member

Vettel’s defence

“Just a little rubbing- rubbing’s racing!”

Viewing 40 posts - 1,601 through 1,640 (of 2,564 total)

The topic ‘F1 2017 (Bound to contain spoilers!)’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM