Viewing 40 posts - 761 through 800 (of 1,742 total)
  • F1 2016 (Bound to contain spoilers!)
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

For me that’s Hamilton’s fault. Rosbergs car is heading, or at least pointing towards, the right hand side of the track before Hamilton pulled out from behind him. Hamilton was taking the previous corner wide, so maybe Rosberg saw this in his mirrors, or maybe he just anticipated Hamilton going right? Either way, he’s going that way before LH moves right, so to me that was Hamilton going for a gap that was already closing or certainly about to close. Without the benefit of the telemetry of course.

jambalaya
    Free Member

How do you overtake without being aggressive just out of interest?

Ask Nico, he got by quite easily no ?

Lauda seems to be of the view that it was Hamiltons fault. Madness from a team perspective

rOcKeTdOg

All those shouting about F1 being boring & there being no overtaking over the last few years are probably the same criticising LH for attempting to over take. Thank goodness for drivers like him actually giving it a go. I also think you’ll be siding with SV & having a moan at the audacity of DR for trying to over take too, the cheek of the man, how dare he! Does he think it’s a race or something?

As for the incident NR leaves a Merc sized gap for a much faster LH who takes advantage, NR sees his mistake, panics & shuts the door too late, once on the grass LH is a passenger

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

well done mad max..super drive but tbh he was in a much improved red bull. Vettel had the luck when Ricciardo got the puncture.
    The question is if Hamilton could have avoided the crash after being pushed onto the grass? He did run into Rosbergs car.

If there isnt the space do you keep your foot in and risk a crash or take another action? There are plenty of cases of the driver taking the other option to keep running ( running wide and the bleating on the radio).
    This is another case of someone not yielding to Hamilton and we have seen before what the net result has been. See Button and Hamilton 2011 Montreal as another example, also see hamilton massa 2011, Rosberg Hamilton 2015

The next question is should he have been pushed there? Maybe, it is aggressive but as in other cases drivers have been equally as aggressive on track and even weaving in braking zones. Next thing people will want Maldonado to come back to spice things up with his overtaking 😉

I expect pressure for Rosberg to be penalised to close up the championship to appease the conspiracists.
    They’ve been let off with a racing incident 🙂

Kvyat must thinking of what could’ ve been…. and Sainz must be fancying a change at the RBR team

eddiebaby
    Free Member

[/quote] PrinceJohn – Member
    Glad it’s changed back to a precession

Procession !

milky1980
    Free Member

No action from the stewards according to the BBC text feed.

Jennie Gow noted that ROS was in the wrong engine mode at the time, maybe why the deployment cut and slowed his acceleration out of T3. ROS’s mood very different to HAM’s, make of that what you will.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@milky – not clear enough for stewards to make a call between two cars of the same team ? Or maybe they just can’t be bothered to get involved

sootyandjim
    Free Member

…to me that was Hamilton going for a gap that was already closing or certainly about to close…

That is two very different things. The former requires Hamilton to see it, the latter requires Hamilton to have ESP!

You can’t just close the door after the fact because you’ve left a car-sized amount of room and now there is a car in it, that is called “causing a collision”. Rosberg got away lightly, the racing line was his but Hamilton chose another route and Rosberg ran him onto the grass in a last ditch attempt to keep his position.

“Too aggressive” (regarding Hamilton)? It’s called racing, not following!

milky1980
    Free Member

No details as yet, they’re probably happy to let the team sort it out themselves if it wasn’t clear one way or the other.

Personally think ROS was too vicious swinging left, the full width of the track smacks of desperation when he knew he was slow off T3. HAM took a gamble going left and it backfired. I expect them both to behave in Monaco or full-on fireworks 😆

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Jennie Gow noted that ROS was in the wrong engine mode at the time…

Which as good as confirms it was Rosberg’s fault!

Too slow/under-powered/wrong gear, he was in no position to defend and took Hamilton out.

bruneep

The stewards’ statement in full:

The incident concerned started when Car 6 dropped into an incorrect power mode, as set by the driver prior to the start. This created a significant power differential between Car 6 and Car 44 at the exit of Turn 3 coming onto the straight, resulting in as much as a 17kph speed difference between the two cars on the straight. Car 6 moved to the right to defend his position, as is his right under Art 27.7 of the Sporting regulations. Simultaneously Car 44 as the significantly faster car with, at that time, apparent space on the inside, moved to make the pass. Art 27.7 requires the leading driver to leave room, if there is a “significant portion” of the car attempting to pass alongside. Car 44 had a portion of his front wing inside Car 6 small fractions of a second prior to Car 44 having to leave the right side of the track to avoid an initial collision, which may have led him to believe he had the right to space on the right. Once on the grass on the side of the track Car 44 was no longer in control of the situation.

Having heard extensively from both drivers and from the team, the Stewards determined that Car 6 had the right to make the maneuver that he did and that Car 44’s attempt to overtake was reasonable, and that the convergence of events led neither driver to be wholly or predominantly at fault, and therefore take no further action.

https://www.formula1.com/content/fom-website/en/latest/headlines/2016/5/mercedes-drivers-split-over-racing-incident.html

pondo

Whatever engine mode it was, it got him to T1 first.

onehundredthidiot

richmars

Whatever engine mode it was, it got him to T1 first.

Maybe because it used more energy from the battery off the start, meaning less available when NR reached turn 3.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Too slow/under-powered/wrong gear, he was in no position to defend and took Hamilton out.

Sooty this makes no sense, Rosberg started in P2 at worst he was back to where he started after less than a lap. Had they finished Ham, Rosberg imho Rosberg would still be better off as further ahead of his challengers (Ham is miles back so out of the Championship AFAIAC)

nickc

Ham is miles back so out of the Championship

we’re only at race 5 out of 21…Bit early to announce he’s out of the championship 😆

Moe

F1 is disappearing up it’s own exhaust pipe and drowning in it’s own bulls**t!

the-muffin-man

Kvyat must thinking of what could’ ve been…. and Sainz must be fancying a change at the RBR team

Kvyat couldn’t have won that race, that’s why he was demoted. Good but not special.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@nickc 😳

In my very lame defence it feels like its been going longer than that

slowoldman

I’ve been watching F1 since the early 60s and I’m a bit annoyed by the “good manners” rules that these days hamstring drivers and prevent hard, close racing. This was a racing incident. They’ll get over it.

zokes
    Free Member

Hamilton could have avoided the crash after being pushed onto the grass? He did run into Rosbergs car.

Er… He was sideways when he hit Rosberg after losing it upon being forced onto the grass.

the-muffin-man

sbd16v
    Free Member

OK let’s have some facts

Simultaneously Car 44 as the significantly faster car with, at that time, apparent space on the inside, moved to make the pass. Art 27.7 requires the leading driver to leave room, if there is a “significant portion” of the car attempting to pass alongside. Car 44 had a portion of his front wing inside Car 6 small fractions of a second prior to Car 44 having to leave the right side of the track to avoid an initial collision, which may have led him to believe he had the right to space on the right

That’s the statement from the stewards they confirm Lewis was along side.

Hang on stewards report is that all that artical 27.7 says ?

This is rule 27.7

27.7 Any driver defending his position on a straight, and before any braking area, may use the full
    width of the track during his first move, provided no significant portion of the car attempting
    to pass is alongside his. Whilst defending in this way the driver may not leave the track
    without justifiable reason.
    For the avoidance of doubt, if any part of the front wing of the car attempting to pass is
    alongside the rear wheel of the car in front this will be deemed to be a ‘significant portion’.

This picture clearly shows Lewis had enough room for the pass and was along side.

Nico should have left room and there should have been a penalty, the stewards clearly chose to let it be dealt with in house imo

PrinceJohn

That is a still picture tho, and nico had been moving to the right long before that was taken, it’s not as if he waited till Lewis was alongside before drifting right.

the-muffin-man

50/50 in my opinion – optimistic of Lewis, overly forceful by Nico.

slowoldman

Racing incident. Shit happens.

dannybgoode

When in doubt ask Senna – he knew a thing or two about racing…

STATO
    Free Member

This picture clearly shows Lewis had enough room for the pass and was along side.

This picture clearly shows Lewis alongside… and pointing entirely at the grass!

igm

When in doubt ask Senna – he knew a thing or two about racing…

And about driving into people when they didn’t get out of his way…

theocb
    Free Member

Very poor driving from Nico, wrong mode, sitting duck and an aggressive block a fraction too late to round it off. Ruined the chance of a race and no penalty 😯

Crashtor would have been slaughtered for such incompetence.

dragon
    Free Member

Racing incident.

+1

Anthony Davidsons analysis of the incident is the best for me.

dragon
    Free Member

@ theocb Since when has choosing the wrong mode become an offence? Yes it was an aggressive block, but I’m pretty sure Nico didn’t intend to take them both out, he simply fractionally misjudged the closing speed. Racing incident.

sharkbait
    Free Member

This picture clearly shows Lewis alongside… and pointing entirely at the grass!

It shows LH pointing at the grass because he had moved from NR left hand side to his right hand side – a car has to point right [towards the grass] to move to the right.
    If you look at LH steering wheel he’s actually steering left as he’s completed his move to the right of NR.
    Rosberg is a cheating little slug – he’s got plenty of form for it. If he wasn’t German he’d not be in that seat.

Since when has choosing the wrong mode become an offence?

It isn’t, but it is the fundamental reason why Hamilton was going so much quicker. Rosberg gambled that he could use ‘full power’ mode off the start to get past HL [who he knew would be in ‘normal’ starting mode] and then hopefully fend him off until his batteries recharged. He screwed it up by leaving the gap on the inside.
    He didn’t mean to take both cars out but he did mean to close the door fully but completely misjudged how ‘slowly’ he was going.

theocb
    Free Member

Dragon. The issue I have, is that Nico knew he was in the wrong setting and he knew he was a sitting duck, his only option at that point was to go for an aggressive block.. he then ballsed that up by leaving a gap.

Fractions are what racing is all about, Nico made some mistakes and ruined a race imo, every driver on the grid would go for that type of move with that type of speed difference and so they should, it happens in every race and lead cars have to yield when they balls up (or get the block in early.) Nico did neither.
    Decision made anyway, just surprised no penalty for mistakes from Nico. I don’t think anyone else made any mistakes for it to be classed as a racing incident.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

Nico was moving right before Lewis got alongside. Lewis decided to keep going anyway.
    Racing incident. Both drivers did the right thing. Both hoped the other would back out of their move.

I would want them both to be equally aggressive the next time. It’s racing.

scotroutes

Regardless…. LH did not get unequivocal backing from the team. That relationship has now broken down and he’ll not be racing with them next year. Expect him to sew up his 2017 contract in the next few weeks and to spend the rest of this year having a bit if a rest. I can’t see him supporting their Constructors Championship efforts if he’s not going to be there. Or maybe he’ll just do whatever he can to frustrate Rosberg

pondo

I think it’s a bit disingenuous to say Nico moved and Lewis “decided” to keep going, as though there was time to MAKE a decision. I think they had a big speed discrepancy and both committed to the same bit of tarmac at the same time – Nico’s was, I thought, the naughtier of the two moves, but not by so much that he deserved censure.

onehundredthidiot

There’s a clip shown from above. Nico is not anywhere the racing line. He was slow knew it and desperate to block Hamilton who would have struggled with his line un the next corner.

cyclistm
    Free Member

Scotroutes, Lewis is in contract until the end of 2018, can’t see this incident changing much at this stage.

Pook

Has Nico ever beaten Lewis in a fair fight without resorting to dirty tactics?

Viewing 40 posts - 761 through 800 (of 1,742 total)

The topic ‘F1 2016 (Bound to contain spoilers!)’ is closed to new replies.