Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • F*** CANCER – Sorry / not sorry.
  • Straightliner

Crap news and big man hugs to you, and like all the others have said, there may be things that can be done.

Make sure you take someone else with you to other appointments, write things down, ask the stupid questions as you need to. Find out what their usual process is and keep asking them to go faster, get on to lists for trials, stay positive and give it hell.

Get on with those things you want or need to do, make those rides happen and do stuff with family and friends that will create incredible memories for all involved.

Speak to Macmillan and get support from them in terms of information, financial planning and advice, things to help the family etc. Do you have any form of illness cover through work or some insurance policy?

Keep fighting, **** cancer!

cerrado-tu-ruido

**** cancer

My mate had lung cancer which spread to his brain. A combination of treatments including immunotherapy cleared the lung cancer. They removed his brain tumour and he’s been fine for a year. I wish you all the best.

lovewookie

Shite.

Like others, don’t really know what to say other than when the shit hits the fan, you can be sure to be able to lean hard here. And please do.

db

Wife had a brain tumour removed in Jan (secondary breast cancer) and then radiotherapy. Currently recovering and hopefully cancer free for now. F*** CANCER!

tomtomthepipersson
    Free Member

Shit!

Let us know where in the country you are. And virtual hugs to you and everyone else affected by this nasty disease.

dirkpitt74

Bugger, No words other than **** Cancer.

Stay strong.

tazzymtb

Ahhh ffs man, that sucks balls in a spectacularly shite way. Happy to rock up for a ride/chat/rant at the world amytime you need. Feel free to message me any time old chap

welshfarmer

Having lost my mum to a brain tumor almost 40 years ago I will happily join you to say f*** cancer. Back then diagnosis and treatment were very much more primitive than they are now and even with a late diagnosis and crude treatment mum had a couple of good years before it finally took her. 40 years of progress and research, keep telling yourself that. Be strong, use all the support you can find. And keep us updated on here. There is MTBing a plenty from the doorstep here and a hut to stay in if you want to ride in the Black Mountains, just drop me a pm.

Sandwich

Just to echo @welshfarmer, progress should give you many years more. My mum had a brain-stem cancer and survived 18 years from diagnosis, dying in 2000 on her terms.

Good luck and keep on keeping on.

kennyp
    Free Member

Yup, utterly horrible disease.

One sort of positive thing I can say though is that this forum……for all it’s many faults 🙂 ……will be here to help in any way we can. You need only ask.

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Last thing is want is to derail the OPs thread with my own story, but yes, **** cancer Indeed.

I got the consultant affirmation today that I was expecting, and have thought about from day one, but didn’t want to hear.

It’s no longer a small ‘if’ but a very large ‘when’.

I’ve no great advice other than listen to your body and any ‘hunch’ you have. Each time the cancer has returned, I’ve ‘known’ before the scan has confirmed it…but being one of life’s great pessimists probably helps there!!

Make the most of time with friends. The support we’ve had over the last year and a half has been staggering and often talking with friends is surprisingly easier than family. I’ve found I’ve been able to very open and frank, but with a bit less emotional charge than close family.

No matter what the outcome, it’s a massively horrible ride and even with the best of hospitals you’ll grow to hate the constant monitoring, blood tests and the bloody boredom.

And get the best noise cancelling headphones you can afford…get them now!!

Wishing you all the best

jimmy

Aaah **** off cancer. Just **** off.

Poopscoop

@jimfrandisco

Very sorry to hear that mate. I’m shocked at how many on here are currently battling the big C or have family members effected.

I wish you all the best with the treatment you’ll be receiving.

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Cheers Poopscoop.

I know a bike forum isn’t then obvious place but maybe a cancer support sticky thread is appropriate.

There’s of course great resources with Macmillan and 100 Facebook groups, but they’re often dominated by individuals or specific issues, when sometimes just a place so say “well this is shit” with (mostly!) like minded strangers!

Poopscoop

jimfrandisco
    Free Member
    Cheers Poopscoop.

I know a bike forum isn’t then obvious place but maybe a cancer support sticky thread is appropriate.

Might not be a bad idea. This place never ceased to amaze me, there’s no other place like it imo.

Bazz

Sorry to hear your sad news, I’ll join the choruses of F*** cancer, and also add the offer of rides and beers in  East Sussex if you ever find yourself in this neck of the woods.

dcl

So sorry to hear your sad news.

As a family we came to the end of a three and half year journey with my wife before Christmas.

Myself and the kids were by her side the whole time and she adopted a new **** it let’s do it attitude.  We stopped finding excuses not to do things and she didn’t let the disease or treatment define her.  Even after chemo she would drag herself to watch the girls play netball or race bikes.

At the final meeting at the hospital the main consultant turned and thanked my wife for teaching him what a positive attitude and sheer determination can do.  He gave her 6 weeks originally and she did over 3 years.  In the end she would turn to the doctors and say I don’t believe you.

All I can say is find the reason to do something, surround yourself with family and good friends, give yourself a break sometimes and try and not linger on the ifs or buts which you have no control over.  Deal with what’s in front of you and embrace help that is offered.

Good luck in your journey and if you fancy a ride in the south west with a now very unfit bloke give me a shout.  A short ride to the pub or cafe suits best at the moment.

Most definitely F*&* CANCER

Sandwich

We have a bed and a rather large dog that likes to cuddle up on the sofa. More importantly we also have miles of quite flat off-road cycling which is important if you’re slightly unfit and older (me) or dealing with cancer stuff (you).

Anyone need a break from the norm message me and we’ll set it up.

(There’s also some reasonable wine, beer, coffee, cake and cookery).

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

It’s a kind, warm, welcoming place in here.

Out of hospital a couple of days now and adjusting to a new round of drugs, which means sleeping all day and then feeling normalish late afternoon, which is very welcome.

I don’t think there’s much riding on the horizon, but even a drive out in the woods yesterday was a very welcome break.

It’s crushing each and every time you picture something you may never do again, but that pales against any thing connected to the kids and knowing I’ll not be in their lives. That’s devastating.

The word surreal is usually over used, but for me it really is impossible to get my head around as I don’t feel ill enough for any of it.

stick_man

That is shit indeed Jim. Best wishes to you, and to bigblackshed.

fgk
    Free Member

Terribly shit news.

There are lots of different kinds of brain tumour. Some are very treatable. Hopefully you’ve started the journey to understanding your prognosis better. Please come back and update us.

Nobby

So sorry to hear that OP – same for those others touched by this b4astard of a disease.

As has been said over & over, find things to do, spend time with those you love & keep on making memories. I’m coming up to the 4th anniversary of a stage 4 metastatic melanoma diagnosis & from the very beginning of my journey I always had in my head “What would Bullheart do?”   I’m one of the lucky ones, a few bits removed & a year of immunotherapy now means I’m a NED (No Evidence of Disease) – it’ll never be gone but I’ve won this round.

Some of the side effects of my treatment have prevented me from much riding but I’m getting there (slowly) but I’ve done as much living as I could throughout.

At least we’re all agreed – f2*k cancer.

If you need to vent this place will always be full of people that will listen, agree, laugh & take the p155.

fatbikeandcoffee
    Free Member

Sadly I know too much about this and it shapes me and what I do and yes truly F*** cancer.

What I have seen if that the people that fight it tooth and nail do better, and it is not necessarily a killer as many can and do survive with interventions but brain tumours are particularly tricky to deal with (blood brain barrier etcetera) but there are some fabulously good organisations out there doing bloody good work, research and huge steps forward.

The one I support (in oh so many ways) in Brain Tumour Research and they have rafts of good info and great people as well as 4 research centres across the UK etcetera.

From a complete random forum dweller I wish you the very best of luck and if a chat with a random person might help drop me a message (IT gods be willing it works) and I will make time.

I am currently getting very close to heading off for an epic 6 day ride to raise more funds for them, I am that committed to it.

James

wingnuts

So sorry to hear this. But live your life and do the special things. Do it without regret.

The whole point is IT’S SHIT BUT DON’T GIVE UP!!!!!

Got a acquaintance who was diagnosed with exactly this about two years ago and is still going though. He is special kind of person (as are you) in his single mindedness. He was extremely fit, positive about everything etc etc. He was even told off for riding his bike to get his chemo!

He did a lot of research and has gone to Germany to get extra treatment when the NHS gave up. There are obviously so many variables between cases but he is an example of positive survival. He gave up alcohol, carbs, got into fasting and slept in a hyperbaric chamber (which friends helped purchase). All seem to have helped and he’s still riding with the fast groups he dominated for years. Mind you it’s on a e-bike now but he’s still doing the things he loves with the people he loves.

Where are you? PM me if you want me to ask him to chat to you about his experience.

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.