Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Ezystove – Any Good
  • woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

After a couple of friends raving about Kelly kettles I started looking at these Ezystove

I want something for car camping and flaming with the kids. I like the idea of wood rather than gas. Plus having the car with us means we can take some dry sticks with us. I want to cook basic food on them plus boil water for tea etc.

They seem to get good reviews, but I’ve never seen our used one. Are they just for show? Are they any good?

matt_outandabout

I can’t comment on an ezy stove, I have t used them.

Remember stick stoves can be a faff to light, and spew smoke everywhere. This is not stealthy, or appreciated by others at times, especially if you are at car or public places.

That one looks like like a tiny stick source – little heat and will need constant replenishing. At least a Kelly/ghillie/storm/mk kettle will contain and use such small heat source efficiently.

Having said that, we have boxes of sticks and wood drying under shed/cover outdoors, as we use our ghillie kettle all the time, and I use them and stick stoves at work. Best stick fireplace for cooking on is a metal colander and pan trivet. I am doing a canoe trip in September and plan on stick stove/fire for it all.

CountZero

I’ve got one like this one at the bottom of the page:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lixada-Portable-Stainless-Lightweight-Solidified/dp/B01E0ZWLI4/ref=pd_sim_sbs_200_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=DNAWK93KY3ZN952KZ2R4
    Takes a bit of getting going, but if you manage to get together a bag of dry wood chips and sticks, they’ll start it going quickly then it’s just a question of keeping it fed with sticks, or else using alchohol blocks.
    I managed to keep a kettle going to keep making mugs of tea for a couple of hours sat outside my tent reading last year, using dry wood either gleaned from the hedge behind me, or mostly dry driftwood from the beach; I did have a small chopping block and my Gransförs axe with me to help with reducing it to manageable proportions, mind. 😀

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

That is considerably cheaper than an EzyStove…..
    I wonder if as usual I’m being attracted by form rather than function. I’m still tempted as if it’s no good I can always sell it to some Audi driving glampers!

km79
    Free Member

You can make one easy enough from an empty can or tin. I wouldn’t be paying £70+ for something to burn a few sticks in, that’s madness.

sweepy
    Free Member

The easy stove is a rocket stove, I’ve not used that particular one but have used others and they are great for cooking on. They use little fuel and produce little smoke.
    They are shite for sitting round in the evening tho.
    If I wanted to cook efficiently, often I’d get one, if I wanted to sit round a small fire, cooking on it I’d get firepit or box.

CountZero

They are shite for sitting round in the evening tho.
    If I wanted to cook efficiently, often I’d get one, if I wanted to sit round a small fire, cooking on it I’d get firepit or box.

In the evening I was in the pub, enjoying cooking of a far higher standard than I’d ever be able to achieve myself, along with some fine ale! 😀
    The little stove was just to make tea while eating a bowl of cornflakes, and while sitting reading before heading off for a walk,
    Bugger cooking on one!

alibongo001

I bought a Bio Lite stove a few years ago and find it perfect for this sort of thing.

THey are not cheap, but if you get the additional grill, they make a quick and easy barbecue – very little smoke as the fuel has air blown on it by the fan.

Also has the benefit / novelty of being able to charge a mobile phone!

I have used this on the beach and cooked allsorts of meat and fish on it – it has quite a high heat output so would boil a kettle quickly – not tried this yet!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Ezystove – Any Good’ is closed to new replies.