Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Extra terrestrial life and religion
  • simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I've never seen one, have you? The simplest explanation is that there aren't any.

the simplest explanation is that they're too far away to see. That there were none would be highly unlikely!

IanMunro
    Free Member

Doesn't God tell people he is the one true god in the Old Testament?

True, but Enimen told me he was the real Slim Shady, so now I don't know who to believe.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Someone described the search for alien life as like looking for a needle in a haystack, except that it's a very big haystack, it may not contain a needle and to search for the needle you have to squint through a drinking straw.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

The real slim shady is Eminem. That other guy Enimen is a tribute act from Staines.

…you have to squint through a drinking straw.

better than having to eat through one.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Someone described the search for alien life as like looking for a needle in a haystack, except that it's a very big haystack, it may not contain a needle and to search for the needle you have to squint through a drinking straw.

Sounds dangerous, you could take an eye out doing that.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Someone described the search for alien life

why bother ? My next door neighbours are weird beyond belief and I'm sure they think the same about me. Investigating them would have a much lower carbon footprint…

coffeeking
    Free Member

I'm fairly sure the bible describes the earth as the only planet/place place with life and humans as the only intelligent beings, or words to that effect. Hence the impact on christianity if you find another planet with life and something smart living there.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I'd be pretty surprised if it does so in terms, but perhaps you'll give us some verse references. 😉

Even if it does, while it will doubtless piss off thick headed retard creationists, alien life wouldn't be a problem for sane people's christianity any more than the palpable correctness of The Origin of Species was once they got over the shock.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Hence the impact on christianity if you find another planet with life and something smart living there.

except Christianity is mainly based on the New Testament ?

molgrips
    Free Member

Hence the impact on christianity if you find another planet with life

Nah, only parts of it.

I read the other day that St Augustine born in 384 AD considered the bible to be metaphorical. So I dunno about all this banging on on here about faults with the bible invalidating Christianity.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

aye molgrips, aye

BTW I worked on Beagle2 and its search on Mars. I was mighty peeved when it screwed up. Have a bone to pick with Mars and would like another go.

CountZero

I think the real reason a lot of the more obsessive Christians would have issues with the discovery of intelligent alien life is that they view mankind as the only truly intelligent species, created by God in His image, so to find other species equal to or greater than man in intelligence sees that notion turn into a train wreck, because how could God have multiple aspects in which to create intelligent beings in the likeness of? If you follow me? You'd then have to accept a pantheistic heaven, or none at all.
    The believers would probably all throw themselves off of cliffs, which would keep the Great Whites and the Orcas occupied for quite a while, making things safer for surfers and swimmers, so a result all round.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

because how could God have multiple aspects in which to create intelligent beings in the likeness of?

oh you mean like the 3 parts of the Trinity ??

CountZero

We're talking rather more than three, I think, and forgive me if I've got this wrong, but those three aspects are still human in appearance? I'm talking about entities startlingly different from what would be considered human, which I thought was obvious.

molgrips
    Free Member

Lol@Buzz. So when they finally have manned missions to Mars, you'll volunteer, get up there, find the remains of Beagle 2 and kick the crap of it saying 'Why didn't you work you piece of shit probe!'

But on topic – it's only the Bible that says God created man in His image. That could be just fluff. Doesn't preclude the existence of a god or that Christ was his son etc…

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

We're talking rather more than three

the number may be metaphorical ?

I'm talking about entities startlingly different from what would be considered human, which I thought was obvious.

now you're guessing 🙂

tazzymtb

their god allows anal probing (apparently)

so aliens are the catholic church then? do the dresses hide the fact that all priests have tentacle instead of feet…..Bloody hell David Ike was right, we're all under the control of aliens 😯

coffeeking
    Free Member

I'd be pretty surprised if it does so in terms, but perhaps you'll give us some verse references.

The bible fairly regularly refers to "the whole inhabitable world" and "the habitable earth".

And this is a genuine explanation given by a christian:

18 For thus saith the LORD that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain, he formed it to be inhabited: I am the LORD; and there is none else.

THE WORD VAIN CAN BE TRANSLATED "VOID". IN OTHER WORDS, THE ORIGINAL CREATION WAS INHABITED AND THEN A GREAT DESTRUCTION HAPPENED INSTIGATED BY SATAN. THESE INHABITANTS WERE A PRE-ADAMIC RACE OF BEINGS. THESE CREATURES WERE HERE BEFORE MAN AND WERE PART OF THE GREAT FALL FROM HEAVEN OF LUCIFER (SATAN) AND 1/3 OF THE ANGELS. THEY INHABITED THE EARTH AND THE HEAVENLIES, OR OUTER SPACE. SATAN WAS IN CHARGE OF ALL THE PLANETS AND HIS MINIONS MOVED ABOUT VIA VEHICLES AFTER THE FALL. TECHNOLOGY IS SATAN'S ATTEMPT TO REPRODUCE THE NATURE OF UNFALLEN CREATION. WE CALL THESE BEINGS “ALIENS" AND THEY FLY IN UFOS.

THESE BEINGS HAVE BEEN INTERACTING WITH MAN EVER SINCE THE GARDEN OF EDEN. THE SERPENT IN THE GARDEN WAS SATAN INDWELLING THE BODY OF A SAUROID, THE RULING CLASS OF ALIENS. IN GENESIS 6 WE READ WHERE ALIENS CONDUCTED GENETIC ENGENEERING.

That tells me plenty.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

"find the remains of Beagle 2 and kick the crap of it saying 'Why didn't you work you piece of shit probe!'"

😀

Mars has secrets and it's stubborn to give them up. There are very strong suspicions about life on Mars and I still want to be a part of uncovering these secrets.

samuri
    Free Member

I love anything that screws up any religious view of the iniverse. It makes me feel all warm inside as I watch fanatics scrabble around trying to justify their view.My sister in law gave us some cards like top trumps once to give to our son. They were christian propaganda and set about explaining from a christian point of view, things that for some strange reason don't get mentioned in the bible. Dinosaurs, fossils, oil, volcanoes etc, etc. It would appear that most of these things are tests to confirm our faith.

Well I never. And here's me thinking it's abject bullshit. Look guys, hold your hands up, admit it's all fairy stories, you'll maintain a steady readership, these people don't want the truth they just want support. They can't survive without your crutch, give it to them but just stop crapping it out.

ex-pat
    Free Member

Old post:

Back in the day spacemen came down and setup a biosphere on planet earth.
    The new colonists (Adam and Eve) tried earth produce, thus contaminating them with local bacteria, so they ended up stuck on Earth, and so the world was populated.

Then, you’ll have heard about Noah, he was one a group of scientist who heard about deteriorating weather patterns, so they gene sequenced as much flora and fauna before the weather patterns failed completely. They fled in a spaceship. Once the weather had settled down they returned and re-stocked the earth to the best of their abilities.

Some time passed…
    Around about 2000 years ago…

An off planet survey group came to check up on the Earth, arriving in a spaceship the planted it in low orbit. Then using EVA suits they came down to earth and impregnated a lady (jetpacks-wings, halo-helmet glint). She insisted to her doting husband that it was angels…

Following the successful birth the ship left low orbit using fusion drive, visible by the naked eye from earth.

The young lad grew up knowing he was special, not least as he was regularly communicated to by off planet beings. They taught him some key medical knowledge, and provided him with special equipment – he was also not genetically the same as most humans. This transpired into:

Healing the sick – with some (by today’s standard) simple medical procedures.
    Feeding the hungry – concentrated dehydrated rations and some water.
    Living with the lepers (as they were called then) – not affected by human illnesses so much).

As his life continued the off world beings came in more contact, towards the end of his life they landed a craft in a local lake.
    The ‘chap’ rowed out then walked on the deck of the submerged ship, appearing to walk on water.

Eventually his antics became untrusted and so he was condemned to be crucified.

Being not fully human, typical capital punishments didn’t fully terminate him, so when removed he was not completely dead.

Following a few days of recuperation, he used his off planet strength (the beings were from a hi-G world) to open the cave door and exit.

The off-planet observers took the opportunity to use a tractor beam to take him off planet.

We’ve been talking about it ever since, and a long time later some folk wrote a book about it…

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Extra terrestrial life and religion’ is closed to new replies.