• This topic has 43 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by nach.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Exploded tyre with Stan's fluid over me…..
  • vondally
    Free Member

Apart from A) the hilarity B) looking like bishop from aliens anything I need to worry about, pretty much covered me from head, face, eyes and clothing…..?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Badger.

That is all.

vondally
    Free Member

Cfh….. android badger

warns74
    Free Member

You probably wont be able to cry for a while!

rickmeister

Spafftastic ….

Badger badger…

verses

Could be worse, at least it’s not Sudocrem!

m0rk
    Free Member

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I did that a few years back and it left me with ringing in my ears for a few days and “splinters” of latex in my fingers which itched like hell and went a bit septic/manky over the course of a few weeks. In the long term i was fine. I think the trouble was more the pressure at which said tyre separated from the rim than anything else mind.

carlos
    Free Member

Haha :lol:, been there done that. Not m0rk, but OP. Sounded like a cannon going off in the garage, my ears rang for a bit, I dont remember cleaning up, I guess I just left it to dry.

vondally
    Free Member

Ringing in ear …check…eyelashes sticking…..yep….neighbours dog freaked out…..beard very airtight…..

leffeboy

ectoplasm 🙂

vondally
    Free Member

molgrips
    Free Member

Soak clothes in bath asap. Latex will never come out if it dries, but you also don’t want to agitate it either as it’ll turn into rubber.

vondally
    Free Member

So not in the washing machine then….for the clothes

nach
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    Soak clothes in bath asap. Latex will never come out if it dries, but you also don’t want to agitate it either as it’ll turn into rubber.

This, or you end up with Schrödinger’s jizz stain. I have a pair of jeans that I didn’t quite get it out of fast enough. The stain doesn’t show when they’re freshly washed, but it does by the end of the day.

garage-dweller

I hope they weren’t clothes you were fond of. I wrote off a favourite berghaus fleece in a tubeless explosion 😥
    Well technically it now just gets used for filthy garden jobs and tubeless tire fitting…

orangespyderman

This, or you end up with Schrödinger’s jizz stain. I have a pair of jeans that I didn’t quite get it out of fast enough. The stain doesn’t show when they’re freshly washed, but it does by the end of the day.

You jizzed in your jeans and you are :

a) talking about it on the internet
    b) saying it only really shows when they get a bit, well, minging?

😯

molgrips
    Free Member

Guessing not. Latex is lots of long chains of protein molecules suspended in water. If you agitate it the chains get tangled together exactly like wool fibres in felt, making the liquid into a solid. Same happens if the liquid evaporates. But the solid rubber is then in the fibres of your clothes so never comes out.

Try rubbing the liquid in your fingers. This is why it works as sealant – as the air forces it through the hole in turbulence it forms solid rubber. So I would worry your washing machine would have the same effect before it could be washed out.

leffeboy

Schrödinger’s jizz stain

That is funnier than it should be. I suspect I need my bed

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Well written, mols.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pXfHLUlZf4[/video]

Daffy

Wipe down every surface especially if it’s a white one. Once it dries and goes off, it’ll turn yellow and then orange and it never, EVER comes off.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

How does Stan produce so much fluid?

xyeti
    Free Member

I had this a few years back, i put it down to a bad batch of Stan’s fluid, Probably not enough protein, :-0

Climbing up Innerleithen trying to find the hidden bits when i could feel the rear end getting harder “this sounds wrong” i was just about to get off the bike to check what was going on when an almighty crack went off literally covering me in sealant, still not sure what it was but never had it since. i must admit to a bit of seepage from around the rim when i moved the bike in the morning there was a watery amber type substance on the floor like water? odd. And my clobber was infected with Jizz stains as well.

greyspoke
    Free Member

Guessing not. Latex is lots of long chains of protein molecules suspended in water. If you agitate it the chains get tangled together exactly like wool fibres in felt, making the liquid into a solid. Same happens if the liquid evaporates. But the solid rubber is then in the fibres of your clothes so never comes out.

Try rubbing the liquid in your fingers. This is why it works as sealant – as the air forces it through the hole in turbulence it forms solid rubber. So I would worry your washing machine would have the same effect before it could be washed out.
    Shaking a bottle of sealant, or indeed neat craft latex, does not cause it to polymerize. Nor indeed does leaving it in a tyre and riding over bumpy trails. So there must be quite a high amount of shear needed before this happens. Alternatively, some evaporation is needed to get the concentraiton up before it happens. The finger-rubbing would result in a fast-evaporating thin film.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

I had a tire blow off the rim (ohhh errrr) in my old kitchen, the tyre ended up about ten feet away from the rim and 2oz of sealant managed to spread itself over every surface/wall/ceiling/appliance in there.

Pretty impressive stuff from 30 odd psi.

Stevet1
    Free Member

This sounds like something I don’t want to repeat myself. Do we know what the main cause is? Too much pressure? Tyre not seated? I always seat the tyre with no stans fluid in, then let the air out, add sealant and re-inflate – would this prevent this from happening?

vondally
    Free Member

Some user error on my behalf…… previously used non tubeless tyres with no issues…..but trying to schwableschwab nobby nics to keep air, using a floor pump and just overdid it…..bang…..

Pretty much wrote off my clothing, beard is very tangled, skin around eyes still stinging, eyes had small latex clumps this morning and worst when I get my face wet, sticky for ages.

Been informed that I am irresponsible,………plants in the area are rubberised

jekkyl

what would be the most effective way to remove fresh sealant from clothing? dab with kitchen roll?

molgrips
    Free Member

So there must be quite a high amount of shear needed before this happens

Yes I think so. It’s fascinating stuff.

But it still buggers your clothes. I have a feeling that if you soaked it when wet long enough, it would dilute the protiens enough to then let you wash the residue out in a washing machine. Not tried it though.

what would be the most effective way to remove fresh sealant from clothing?

I’d try lobbing the whole lot in a bath, giving it a gentle prod every so often and changing the water. Without agitating it.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

I was being a tight arse by refitting knackered/deformed tyre.

kayak23

My first attempt at tubeless ended thus. A mate was helping me and we did it in his kitchen.
    There was a MASSIVE bang and Stans everywhere.
    It was quite funny watching him get rollocked by his wife 😀

vondally
    Free Member

I am well into double figures with the number I have fitted (20 or so) first time it happened but thereagain I do not use schwable tyres……lesson learnt

DezB
    Free Member

My first attempt at tubeless ended thus. A mate was helping me and we did it in his kitchen.
    There was a MASSIVE bang and Stans everywhere.

This is marvellous. 😆

greyspoke
    Free Member

Fortunately never had an explosion with tubeless-ready tyres and rims. In the old days of tubeless conversions and dodgy tyre/rim combinations it was a different matter altogether, put me off tubeless for a decade.

stevied
    Free Member

How did it taste? Like pineapple?

greyspoke
    Free Member

It would be more a coconut substitute in a pina colada.

greyspoke
    Free Member

Though the acidity of the pineapple juice would curdle it.

gonzy
    Free Member

same thing happened to me a few months ago. did a conversion to my dh wheels. i bought a caffe latex conversion kit which contained their own latex sealant. initially the tyre would not seal but i managed to get them to sit on the rim and they held the pressure. added the sealant and re-inflated and left it overnight and hey presto the following morning they were flat as a pancake. re-inflating them and shaking them around, i couldnt hear the sealant sloshing about so i added some more sealant and again inflated the rear tyre first. i think i pumped it up to about 40psi…left it for no more than 2 minutes as i turned my attention to the front one and i created a new universe in the living room covered in latex gunk
    the kevlar bead was ripped and the latex sealant i had just added was all over the wall and one of the sofas…i managed ot wipe all that off but on closer inspection the sealant from the night before had set into what looked like a congealed omelette…so it had not done its job at all
    to say i was pissed off was an understatement!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Exploded tyre with Stan's fluid over me…..’ is closed to new replies.