Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • Scottish Highlands Cycle Touring – Routes/Advice please
  • flipiddy
    Free Member

So.

I’ve got a week off in early September and rather than head back to the Hebridean islands, which I’ve done a couple of times before (and loved), I thought I’d stay inland to do something different.

Rough plan is to drive to Inverness and just cycle around with my tent and panniers (as the wind blows).

So wise STW’s any help with the following would be fantastic…

•Any recommendations as to where to park in Inverness?
    •Any cycle routes I can find or recommendations?
    •Any guide books recommended with routes?
    •Any BnBs, campsites or wild camping spots you can recommend?
    •How do the highlands compare to the islands for cycling/experience?

Cheers muchly folks! 🙂

cbike
    Free Member

My pal did the west coast in 2015 information here. http://www.rboab.com/

Acharacle has a good chippy – hopefully still operating
    Ardtoe or Castle Tioram for some stealth camping…be responsible.

Kishorn Seafood Bar

scotroutes

North Coast 500 (NC500) is currently on a lot of folks radar. There have already been threads on here about it. Remember to do the “wee mad road of Inverpolly” though – the official NC500 route bypasses this buit. To fit in with a weeks riding you could shorten it by cutting south at Tongue, through Alltnaharra (great B&B) to Lairg, Rogart (Sleeperzzzz “B&B”) and over the Struie to Alness.

Or take the train to Kyle and work your way up the coast.

There’s some on-street parking at Bellfield Park (round the back). It’s a quiet residential street and I often leave a car there overnight.

In general the Highlands are great for cycle touring. Roads are generally quiet (though the Inverness-Ullapool road will see peaks of traffic as ferries arrive/depart). Lots of singletrack roads further north and (as feedback from our hire customers is showing) drivers are mostly patient and courteous.

Don’t forget to carry food with you. There are few cafes/restaurants/shops. It’s always best to plan ahead.

Buy Nicolson Maps Road 1.

If you get more sorted on ideas, PM me and I’ll see if I can provide some further info.

flipiddy
    Free Member

Thank you very much indeed chaps – that’s great stuff. I’ll study your posts in more depth when I get the chance later this week.

Also – thank you for your kind offer of help Scotroutes. I might just drop you a line if needed.

Any more forumite thoughts / advice welcome!

Cheers.

kcr
    Free Member

If you are starting in Inverness, over the hill from Dingwall to Bonar Bridge, then through Lairg and along Loch Shin to Laxford Bridge is a good route. The north coast is great cycling, and Strathy through Kinbrace to Helmsdale is a fine route south through some remote country.
    If you have time to get out to the west cost, there’s no end of good stuff. You can’t go wrong, really.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

If you do find yourself in Lairg, there’s a good cafe/restaurant on the A836 Northbound.

There’s another one on the A839 Eastbound, I think, but we didn’t use that one.

(We’ve just come back from a month’s touring in a campervan, can’t wait to go back with a bike. It’s all awesome.)

ton

ncn7 is a fantastic touring route, with some nice rough stuff diversions, which are ok on a touring bike.

fly or train up to Inverness, ride back to Glasgow at a steady pace, and train home.

it goes through some cracking scenery.

jimmy

The road from Kyle of Tongue through Altnaharra* to Invershin is one of the best days on a bike I’ve had. Weather and conditions certainly helped, but it was just great. It was springtime and I imagine on the right day in September it would be even better.

*The B&B in Altnaharra is worth a stay for the bonkers (in a nice way) lady running it.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

jimmy, you’re not aka ‘jimmy NC500’ by any chance ..? .. if so, I think we’ve both used the same bog at Durness.

josemctavish
    Free Member

Lots of good recommendations for ways to head North. I’ve lobbed together a route along to the West which could have alternative extras like the Applecross and the Bealach na Ba. The Great Glen bit would need a touring bike that doesn’t mind forestry tracks.

Nice Tour

Teetosugars
    Free Member

What kind of distance is that^^^

Looks like an amazing route..

josemctavish
    Free Member

281 miles for that one – not too bad for a relaxed week I reckon.

tjagain

Thats a really nice rout IMO

StirlingCrispin

Please don’t cycle on the A82 – it’s scary.

You can follow minor roads to the south of those lochs / Great Glen Way etc. The main road to Mallaig is unpleasant in places too.
    (I last did it the other way – Brodick – Arran – Kintyre – Oban – Mull – Ardnamurchan – Glenuig – Mallaig – Fort Bill – Inverness).

Another idea – Inverness to Ullapool, up the west coast to Durness, Tongue and down back to Inverness through a gap in the hills somewhere. Some breathtakingly remote country.

ton

the road from mallaig is gorgeous. you dont stay on the main road for long, you come off it at morar and follow tiny roads along the coast to a just before beasdale station. the bit from there to lochailort was a bit busier but very very quiet if you are used to town/city riding.

josemctavish
    Free Member

Aye, the route I’ve done there pretty much avoids the A82 completely using the Great Glen Way. If you only wanted to ride tarmac then keeping to the East of Loch Ness is a better option.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Ggw is mind numbingly boaring imo. Mainly riding through plantations.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

We rode much of that route above on a recent tour.

Started at the Corran Ferry and rode the same way until Strathcarron, where we went over the Bealach and took in the Applecross peninsula. Stopped at Sheildaig and pretty much came back the same way except we cut out the peninsula and cycled to Kyle of Lochalsh where we went to Glenelg where we crossed to Skye. Also deviated at the end and headed to Glenfinnan and the south side of Loch eil.

We had originally envisaged something similar to the above but felt that the roads after Kinlochewe to get back weren’t really worth it.

nbt

adding a “tick” so I can find this again…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Bookmark thread. 🙂

IHN

Yep, tick here too.

nbt

Good call on the Glenelg ferry there YoKaiser, the food at the Glenelg Inn is pretty darn good too 🙂

irc

A variation is from Strontian up over the hill to Loch Shiel. Then an excellent track (700x32s plenty) along the loch to Glenfinnan to join to Fort William – Mallaig Road. Glenfinnan has a decent hotel and thre is an almost flat tarmac estate road 3 miles north to Corryhully – the bothy with the electric light and kettle – if that’s preferred to camping for the night.

highlandman
    Free Member

Liking Jose McT’s route- have done all of that at various times and would reckon that it will work very well indeed. And there are some food options along the way too, not as ’empty’ as the far NW. Yes, you’ll need chunky-ish tyres for some Great Glen Way parts but over a week, you’re in no great rush.

josemctavish
    Free Member

Yup, the track up Loch Shiel is a beautiful ride – wasn’t sure if I was making it too mountain bikey for the OP, so took it along the quiet coast road to the East. Would recommend staying in the Ariundle bunkhouse in Strontian too – the evening meals were lovely last time I passed that way.

scotroutes

TheBrick – Member
    Ggw is mind numbingly boaring imo. Mainly riding through plantations

You didn’t take the High Level route then?

TheBrick
    Free Member

You didn’t take the High Level route then?

Is the hight route new?

It was about 6 – 7 years ago I did it, I don’t remember a high / low route but if there was an option I would have chosen the high route. I did like the last third / quarter but I just remember the middle being very dull.

scotroutes

It’s only been open a couple of years. It’s hard work but takes you above the treeline for some great views. Although not built as an MTB route, it’s like someone with a biking background had a role in the construction as there are some subtle “features” too.

http://www.blog.scotroutes.com/2015/08/cycling-great-glen-way.html

nbt

Considering these tracks and the “mtb-lite” high route, how suitable are they for a tandem with 1.95″ road tyres on?

ton

sat planning a scotland trip whilst convalescing.
    i was thinking about a 10 day trip round the NC500 or just getting a train to the furthest north i can, then spending 10 days sauntering south in a roundabout way.

scotroutes

Not

scotroutes

JOGLE?

ton

JOGLE?

possibility i suppose. you fancy it?

flipiddy
    Free Member

Hey guys, OP here. Thanks for all the fantastic suggestions and info.

I’ve still not had time to properly plan, but a cursory glance at the very handy route josemctavish put together makes me wonder what it would be like to head back up the A86 / A9 instead of the A82. I’ll definitely use this as some form of basis.

What are the A86 / A9 roads via Aviemore like in comparison? Any quieter/slower… or are there still plenty of Colin McRae wannabes?

The B9152 cuts out a lot of the A9 so looks like a better bet and incidentally a lovely looking road

Cheers

scotroutes

You’ll not be wanting the A9. NCN7 would be my preference from Newtonmore so you’re looking for the B970. It also passes Inshriach cake shop…..

flipiddy
    Free Member

Cake you say?! 😀

scotroutes

Yep.

And if you follow NCN7 north you’ll come to Tomatin. Take a left immediately after crossing the Findhorn then there’s a great wee road from Garbole over to the B851 and B861 to Inverness

scotroutes

possibility i suppose. you fancy it?[/quote]Certainly not on my “to do” list at the moment (though neither was LEJOG when I did it 🙂 )

flipiddy
    Free Member

Sold! 8)

nbt

Mmm, Inschriach tea rooms. Almost worth the trip up on it’s own. Best. Cake. Ever.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Scottish Highlands Cycle Touring – Routes/Advice please’ is closed to new replies.