Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • Evil Gravel Bike
  • Wookster

Wow, they’ve certainly beaten their own path! Love the look of it to be honest, going in 3k for the frame though!!

More info

kerley
    Free Member

One of the ugliest bikes I have ever seen. I wouldn’t care what it rode like as couldn’t bring myself to sit on it.

Bez

It looks like what you’d get if you asked Sick to design a Kirk Magnesium tribute bike.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Have to agree,that is minging.

Wookster

😂😂 genuine LoL @ Bez!!!

Stevelol
    Free Member

I think it looks awesome!

weeksy

It’s not really designed as such is it… they’ve just used a HT frame and thrown bars and forks at it.

plus-one

AliExpress carbon mtb frame/fork with evil logo 😉

qwerty
    Free Member

66.67 head angle with 50mm stem & drop bars. That’s unique, I think.

globalti
    Free Member

Its mother must have mated with a chopper.

136stu
    Free Member

I quite like that, and its name made me chuckle – Chamois Hagar!

trailwagger
    Free Member

All sorts of wrong

k1100t
    Free Member

Like the name, dislike the bike, mostly because of the ridiculously sloping top tube.

roverpig

That’s basically what I was after when I first started looking at a gravel bike (after a few years on a LLS 29er). I eventually decided to go for something more conventional, but maybe I should have stuck to my guns. They’d need to make one in colour before I’d be interested though 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Bez has won the interwebz for today.

Houns

I kinda like it, of course I’d run it with flat or Jones bars and bar ends for max fugliness

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I was museing about something similar in a past thread, a LLS gravel bike. I think JamesO had made a prototype but didn’t like it.

I’d be interested to try it, but for me it would need a flat top tube, you couldn’t shoulder that.

There used to be a chinese carbon 29er with a really short top tube that would make a good budget monstercross bike but I can’t find it now, didn’t have such a slack head angle though.

wwaswas

I like it. Makes a lot of sense for the type of on/off road ride riding available round here.

rOcKeTdOg

certainly looks Evil

ayjaydoubleyou

put some flat bars on it and it might ride OK. Doesn’t the “150mm effective stem” of riding on the hoods or in the drops so far from the steerer tube need to be paired with a 70 to 73 ish head angle for handling?

Aesthetically, as someone who loves the Evil full sussers; this is hideous.

rOcKeTdOg

my front rack would be at an extreme angle

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

put some flat bars on it and it might ride OK. Doesn’t the “150mm effective stem” of riding on the hoods or in the drops so far from the steerer tube need to be paired with a 70 to 73 ish head angle for handling?

kinda, i think the slackest of of bikes are 69deg, but those are not the normal. Depends on the fork offset though, a long offset would speed the steering up whilst keeping the long wheelbase.

qwerty
    Free Member

Most Lauf worthy bike eva.

mboy
    Free Member

First gravel bike I’ve seen that I really wanted. But then I’ve been an Evil fan for a few years now, and I get what they’re doing with it.

Is it for everyone? Hell no! It’s so niche as to be totally useless for most people, but Evil design bikes for themselves (and the small, pretty loyal following that get what they’re doing), not for mass market appeal.

Just waiting to hear back on availability of a medium sized frameset, and to work out what parts I need to beg/steal/borrow to build it (annoyingly I sold some non Boost CK hubs recently! Doh!), I’ve certainly got most of a drivetrain (except shifters and brakes), bars, a stem, dropper post etc all kicking around spare in the right size…

wwaswas

Depends on the fork offset though, a long offset would speed the steering up whilst keeping the long wheelbase.

57mm offset, 428mm a-c.

faustus

This is the pinnacle of the gravel conspiracy that, all along and unbeknown to all, wanted to prove Dual Control levers DO have a place on off-road bikes. They just come in the shape of STis and are plonked on the end of wide curly bars.

It’s a drop bar rigid trail bike. Bit ugly, but glad they made it, even if it is to stake out the extremity (however usable) of this bike type.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Depends on the fork offset though, a long offset would speed the steering up whilst keeping the long wheelbase.

57mm offset, 428mm a-c.

There’s the answer then, most ‘road’ bikes are 40-45mm

First gravel bike I’ve seen that I really wanted. But then I’ve been an Evil fan for a few years now, and I get what they’re doing with it.

Is it for everyone? Hell no! It’s so niche as to be totally useless for most people, but Evil design bikes for themselves (and the small, pretty loyal following that get what they’re doing), not for mass market appeal.

Just waiting to hear back on availability of a medium sized frameset, and to work out what parts I need to beg/steal/borrow to build it (annoyingly I sold some non Boost CK hubs recently! Doh!), I’ve certainly got most of a drivetrain (except shifters and brakes), bars, a stem, dropper post etc all kicking around spare in the right size…

Did you cross post from dentists and accountant trackworld:

First motorbike I’ve seen that I really wanted. But then I’ve been an Harley fan for a few years now, and I get what they’re doing with it.

Is it for everyone? Hell no! It’s so niche as to be totally useless for most people, but Harley design bikes for themselves (and the small, pretty loyal following that get what they’re doing), not for mass market appeal.

Just waiting to hear back on availability

Let’s be honest, Evil are the Harley Davidson of the push bike world. A marketing company first and foremost, huge price tags, questionable reliability.

wwaswas

questionable reliability.

I’ve not seen much recently about this. they royally **** up the first frames they did but seem to be no worse than anyone else now?

33tango

The seat tube cluster look horrific 🙁

Reminds me of this article

krixmeister

It’s not evil – it’s Sick!

munrobiker
    Free Member

I’m a big Evil fanboi and don’t like it – it’s basically a mountain bike, but with drop bars. That makes it worse at mountain biking. But it’s too mountain bikey to be good on the road and most gravel tracks. I can see it being a niche thing that the owners are evangelical about, but it’s basically monstercross (i.e. shit mountain bikes) with marketing.

Bez

certainly looks Evil

Have you jumbled the letters of the last word?

supernova

I think I prefer this new bike instead:

https://www.smokestonebikes.co.uk/mr-harry

tdog
    Free Member

“TO THE GIMP MOBILE”

rOcKeTdOg
    33tango

sick

jameso

I was museing about something similar in a past thread, a LLS gravel bike. I think JamesO had made a prototype but didn’t like it.

Sort of, I made a long (inc chainstays), low and not-quite-as-slack bike, 650b x 2.25″ mostly ridden on 2″ though, that was laid out for a 35-50mm stem. It was compromised as expected. I didn’t like it because if I’m on drop bars I’m riding a chunk of the time on road and there’s a massive difference in how you corner a good road bike and a good MTB, LLS geo and how it sets you up for seated comfort on rolling terrain, etc – the compromises didn’t work for what I was aiming at and if it was to be more capable off-road at the expense of road riding I’ll just ride a 29er. I expect the Evil will be amazing for a subset of riding and need some adaptation from the rider for what others use a gravel bike for.

mboy
    Free Member

I expect the Evil will be amazing for a subset of riding and need some adaptation from the rider for what others use a gravel bike for.

This… in spades!

But that’s why this bike appeals to me. Not just cos I’m an Evil fan, but because so fat gravel bikes haven’t really appealed to me. Most (but not all) are little more than disc brakes road bikes with bigger tyre clearances, and maybe a degree off the head angle and an inch on the wheelbase. The appeal for me is a bike that I can go out and rag on my usual singletrack trails without too much compromise, but a bike that I can happily ride there and back too (I’m 8-10 miles from any trails worthy of riding annoyingly). The appeal of embarrassing a few friends on their full sus bikes on some trails appeals too I can’t deny!

But then again, this…

if it was to be more capable off-road at the expense of road riding I’ll just ride a 29er.

I only sold my Whyte 29C last year cos it had pretty useless tyre clearance for winter riding. Otherwise it was ace! I guess an XC 29er HT with better tyre clearances would tick plenty of unticked boxes again…

mboy
    Free Member

Oh and confirmation of the price from Cal @ Evil Europe via email this morning…

Frameset is £2499… It’s 3k Euros, so for once we’re not suffering due to exchange rates here in the UK which is good to hear! GRX build is £4199 and SRAM AXS is £4999 apparently. A lot of money for sure, but I still think they’ll sell quite well.

Ready to ship now apparently too!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I think I prefer this new bike instead:

https://www.smokestonebikes.co.uk/mr-harry

I saw those and liked the idea, although it’s really just a copy of a Fargo. But why the 100mm BB? Surely a 1x road bike chain set (might require a clever chain stay yoke) or a worst a Boost MTB would work (really not sure a 3″ tyre is needed on a drop bar bike)?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Evil Gravel Bike’ is closed to new replies.