Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Ever thought of selling the mtb and sticking to 'Darkside'???
  • zaskar
    Free Member

Ok I have done more road rides than ever this yr and less (and less) mtb rides.

I just find it quicker to jump on the roadbike and with the winter weather coming…well cleaning the mtb will never be done…

Tempted to sell the old girl but you get bugger all these days.

Anyone else tempted to flog it?

Remind me whats great about mtb please :mrgreen:

sc-xc

It's all riding, there's only a few people on here that get hung up on the type of bike. Does it really matter what you ride?

crikey
    Free Member

Started off on mountain bikes, raced cross, did some fell racing, did 10 years of road racing, now back on mountain bikes with lots of road riding too.

I like it, but if I had to choose i'd give up the mountain bike; too much hassle in terms of maintenance, in terms of driving to rides, too many cocks who think they're Cedric Gracia…

Like I say, I like it, but it's only riding a bike at the end of the day, not a way to earn a living, not a 'lifestyle'….

grahamt1980

Not to the point of selling a mountain bike no, am just starting to get into the dark side though, so its a nice excuse to get hold of a new road bike aswell.
    Such a shame

littlebear
    Free Member

I like it, but if I had to choose i'd give up the mountain bike; too much hassle in terms of maintenance, in terms of driving to rides, too many cocks who think they're Cedric Gracia…

I bet you shave your legs…LOL Only a true roadie would say such things. Trouble is these days there are to many roadies who wanna be mountain bikers, very strong riders but lack the finesse and ability of a true trail rider. Oh look there they go flying up the climbs… And there you are again as i shout on your left through the tight twisty single track with a slight down slope. Maha ha ha 👿

zaskar
    Free Member

Ok berms, twisty fast singletrack.

I'll just clean it and keep it for the dry days.

Probably regret it. Have to wait till a steel option comes along…

Ok but I was close to popping it in classifieds.

Even looked at it for a minute thinking how much I might get.

Stupid.

But the roadbike is so much fun. Ok so is mtbing.

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

Not sure I can add anything of worth here…

I'm inclined to think you'll regret it if you do sell the mountain bike. I had the decision made for me forcibly…my mountain bike was stolen and much as I love the single speed and must as I love my road bike and much as I love my cross bike…there come times, sometimes completely unexpectedly when I think "God…I wish I was on my XC bike…" So…try and be a full time roadie if you want…but think twice before you burn your bridges.

mrmo
    Free Member

not to the point of selling the MTB, but with the crap summers over the last few years, and the crap winters road riding gets ever more appealing.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Ever thought of selling the mtb and sticking to 'Darkside'???

No. I'm a mountainbiker.

Radioman

I Like all riding.. never just 1 type. I have a Spec Roubaix which is graet fun for summer evening smooth tarmac training rides. However I love off-road and have XC Hardtail for trails and DH bikes for when the situation allows.

Road riding is great for cardio workouts, clean, low in part consumption, but MTB uses the whole body and hast a flow and urgent trail buz that road riding just doesnt have. The other downer for me in road cycling is that your life relies on the concentration/skills of car/lorry drivers who would rather not have you on "their road" anyway..

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

there's only a few people on here that get hung up on the type of bike

that will be me then – except it's not the bike, it's the terrain – anything but road :o)

but with the crap summers over the last few years, and the crap winters road riding gets ever more appealing.

only to tarts!

crikey
    Free Member

Thing is littlebear, I've been a mountain biker from when it all first kicked off, and have now come back to it and have a little perspective. 🙄

The one thing about road riding is that you either can or you can't; it's obvious in the first 2 miles, no **** about in the car-park, no 'Oh my tyres washed out' bollocks.

I like it, but there's so much shite that seems to accompany mountain biking these days; I don't 'live the dream' I just ride a bike.

…and this 'true roadie' is off to Spain for a weeks mountain biking soon..

zaskar
    Free Member

Cheers for the insights, I might not do it as much as I used but would be dumb to sell it.

Nice to have the options I guess.

Ok need to ride the mtb more.

Ignore this post.

Pieface

I'd be inclined to say road riding uses more of the upper body than MTBing, especially if you don't have a triple chainring and have some steep hills to ride on.

Anyway. If you can afford to, keep the MTB, unless it means you can sell it to fund a decent MTB and decent roadbike, unless you're totally throwing the towel in.

If you really like the darkside and do sell the MTB, I'd advise you to look at getting a 2nd bike that you can ride offroad, doesn't need to be a fancy full bouncer or even a MTB, but something that you can take touring and do some light offroad on will always be a useful tool.

DezB
    Free Member

Massive difference between roadriding and mtbing. I wouldn't dream of giving up mtbing.
    I suppose, apart from how boring I find roadriding, just the fact you have to share the roads with all those arseholes in their cars is enough to make it just a way of getting from a to b for me.

stevomcd
    Free Member

I'd be inclined to say road riding uses more of the upper body than MTBing, especially if you don't have a triple chainring and have some steep hills to ride on.

If you really think so, I'd suggest looking at some photos of, for example, Lance Armstrong and Steve Peat side by side and see who you think uses their upper body more!

crazy-legs

No. I'm a mountainbiker.

I don't think that way at all. I'm a CYCLIST. All the increased pigeonholing and niche-mongering is of no help at all, especially not in the wider cause of getting more people on bikes and making drivers realise that actually we do exist and do have a right to be on the roads.

Sorry, wandered slightly off topic there…

I'd miss the MTB(s) if I had to get rid of it I really would. But I completely understand your point about it being much simpler. No driving for hours to a trail centre, no talking shite about suspension, tyres etc. You just do it. And there's no hiding the fact that you've had a bad day, it's there for all to see and you can't blame the tyres or rebound damping.
    But when it all comes together on a road bike, the carving lines down an Alpine road, the adrenaline of a well-executed sprint after an hour of through and off in a break – that's as good as any mountain bike singletrack.

As Jedi always says on here: it's all bikes and bikes are good. 🙂

shoefiti
    Free Member

You might just need a break from it then it'll all be fresh and exciting when you get back to it. You could always go old skool and take your mtb off the trail center routes, find some new scenary, stop in a pub for lunch, rediscover why you took it up anyway.

Oh and don't forget on the road there is just as many wannabe's as there are off road 'cocks who think they are Cedric Gracia Lance Armstrong'

Don't sell it, just put it on the backburner till you have a nice sunny day!

Pieface

Well after a couple of months of road riding my shoulders have become skinnier / more defined which suggests I'm using my upper body more.

Power to weight ratio when riding up Alpine passes is more important than riding downhill where gravity is on your side – akin to weightlifters vs bodybuilders?

The only pic I could find of Peaty topless, hardly the hulk

scaredypants

"photos of, for example, Lance Armstrong and Steve Peat side by side and see who you think uses their upper body more! "

hmmm, not really the same though, is it – if you want a fair comparison, pick 2 events of similar duration: Peat vs Hoy ??

Handsomedog
    Free Member

All riding is good. I've just rediscovered my mountain bike after a long layoff and it was ace, like a totally new sport as I'd forgotten almost everything (make that pretty much nothing) i knew before.

If you don't need the money just clean it, oil the important bits and leave it alone, it won't go off!

I only don't ride mine more as I hate riding mtb alone and it takes me an hour and half riding/train/riding to get into the Peak whereas cheshire is 15 minutes ride and the peak only half an hour on the road bike.

pantsonfire
    Free Member

I have a road bike which gets a spin about once a month in the summer and about once a week in the winter. I enjoy it till some nob tries to put me through a hedge then I wish I was on a twisty bit of singletrack miles from civilisation.

I have noticed there is a bit of crossing over between the two types of riding I have seen quite a few roadies getting into the dirty stuff recently. A mate who is in his sixties got his 1st MTB last winter and he is loving it I think his Dolan is covered in cobwebs these days.

crikey
    Free Member

This shouldn't descend into a road/mountain bike slag fest, they're both great sports and share much more than they let on, and given the way mountain biking is developing, there should be a niche for everyone from downhilling through to cross biking. There's no harm in devoting yourself to one or the other for a while tho; give road riding/racing a go if you want, or throw yourself into full on mountain biking for a year or two.

Best not to take either too seriously tho……. 🙂

stevomcd
    Free Member

Well after a couple of months of road riding my shoulders have become skinnier / more defined which suggests I'm using my upper body more.

Sounds more like you've just lost weight. Seriously daft argument though! Easily settled. I'm a full-time bike guide and I is well buff. 8)

😉

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

crazy-legs

No. I'm a mountainbiker.

I don't think that way at all. I'm a CYCLIST. All the increased pigeonholing and niche-mongering is of no help at all, especially not in the wider cause of getting more people on bikes and making drivers realise that actually we do exist and do have a right to be on the roads.

I'm a cyclist too, but that doesn't mean we are the same, doesn't mean we have anything in common. It's a bike – a vehicle, a recreational device, a toy. We might both be music lovers but that doesn't mean we would share any common ground, I might be passionate about classical music, you death metal.

Mountain biking and road biking are two different sports. Saying it's all the same is like saying soccer is the same as rugby because both games are played with balls.

Don't get me wrong, it's mostly fun (cycling) but the vast majority of people who ride bikes don't even consider themselves cyclists – it's just something they do to get from point a to b.

crikey
    Free Member

Proper full on mountain biking …should…. make you bigger and buffer; Armstrong tho isn't the typical roadie;

Here's ya skinny fecker;

Pieface

Just speaking from experience…

I've found that on the road bike going up numerous 1:4s with the smallest chainring being a 38(?) means I use my shoulders and abs to crank up the climbs far more than I have MTBing.

Anyway….

I understand totally the whole idea about roadie riding being 'simpler', although it shouldn't really be (apart from the need to clean the bike more) 'Just popping out for a spin' on the road bike is a lot more appealing than on a MTB as you only get sweaty – you can sit about afterwards rather than needing to jump in the shower.

Could well be a novelty thing thats why I said in my original post not to get rid of the MTB unless you need to.

RepacK
    Free Member

Remember LA was ex tri which may go so some way to explaining why he is so cut.

I ride my road bike to get the miles into my legs (and I like climbing stuff thinking Im Eddy Merckx or the like) and I ride my MTB when I want something different, something that takes me out of myself, gets me away from the World..But TBH I love em both – although whichever one I take out Im sure the other is giving me the evil eye!

samuri
    Free Member

I've been doing a lot more road riding this year than off, it's a phase, next year I might spend more time pottering around on CX and the year after I'll be back on a mountain bike all year. I do what provides me with most enjoyment at the time. At the moment I'm seriously enjoying hauling myself up steep climbs as quickly as possible.

I'd not get rid of my only mountain/cx/road bike though, I enjoy each too much to make that sacrifice.

littlebear
    Free Member

I like it, but there's so much shite that seems to accompany mountain biking these days; I don't 'live the dream' I just ride a bike.

Tis true Crikey, maybe you should take a break from cycling. I also got very bored of the whole scene several years ago and just left it alone but soon returned after i borrowed my friends bike to go to the woods, i thought i really enjoy just being on a bike, so i bought a new mtb and never looked back.

No offense, I was just rocking the boat… 😉

I think going back to the original post and to sum up cycling for me. I own 26"/24"20" and believe it or not 700c that i train on.. Shock! I ride them all regularly for different kicks. But MTB is my favorite of them all, its a social scene for me. wether racing or days out on trails or trail centers, riding with friends and having fun and taking risks. Talking trails, techniques and shop. The aprehension on the journey there and the oohs and arhhs on the journey back. Regardless of weather rain or shine its always a challenge. Yes its expensive but you gotta spend you money on a something you like doing. I love maintaining my bikes, cleaning them back to new, ready for the next onslaught, its all part of it. Tyre choices and pressures, cable tensions for optimum shifting, brake feel and lever adjustment… Bike set up is paramount for me. Then getting out there and just thrashing it to bits hoping its all gonna perform and stay together and that you wont make any mistakes and end up in hospital.

I hope i never have to give up riding mtb and never get bored of it again!

alpin
    Free Member

i'd say that if i were to choose i'd keep the MTB with another set of wheels with slicks in reserve.

i don't have a road bike as such. a bodge-job fixie to be precise. i wouldn't bother with road riding in the UK but here in Germany it is a relatively enjoyable experience. the courtesy shown by drivers and the plentiful cycle paths help alot towards that.

i'm generally not one to want to ride in groups and like the solitude biking brings me.

tried a normal road bike but found it a bit boring. fixed gives me more to think about rather than just pedaling. does mean i shun the bigger hills though.

jumping on the fixie is easier and involves less of a faff than does a quick blast on the MTB; although a 'quick' blast on the fixie usually results in a 2-3 hour ride.
    road allows you to take in the scenery more, look at the world and have long uninterupted day dreams wondering what it would be like; to have a gun; if everyone were naked; money never existed; germany won the war; or i had money in my pocket. MTBing doesn't generally allow for such mindlessness due to higher levels of concentration needed.
    i like the feeling that i'm going somewhere on the road whereas the MTB usually results in an out-and-back ride. thinking about it so does the road but more often than not more miles are covered and you don't come across the same path more than once in a ride.

i'm now thinking i'd like a set of CX wheels/tyres but fixed to make some of the flatter, usually duller trails near me a bit more interesting than they are when MTBing.

i'd also like a BMX.

all bikes, all good.

oh, but roadies more often than not seem not to be smiling

samuri
    Free Member

i wouldn't bother with road riding in the UK

This is definately the biggest reason in my eyes that Britain, England in particular doesn't produce world class road cyclists. It's so dangerous and unpleasant riding around on Britain's roads that I'm sure a lot of people either just give up, pack it all in for mountain biking or go to the track.

And then you ride in France and you're doing 9mph up a mountain pass and you look over your shoulder and there's this big queue of cars behind you and not one of them is upset about being held up, they're jealous! But they're making up for it by pulling out a bottle of wine and some cheese and bread from their glove compartment and have settled in for the long haul. Not going to happen down the A49. Because British people are tossers.

alpin
    Free Member

interesting analysis, samuri.

the germans aren't so patient, especially if you're on the road and there is a cycle path beside it. infact you here germans singning the praises of Italy and France, whereas i think i've got it good here.

all in all, attitudes towards cyclists are much better on the continent than the UK.

samuri
    Free Member

I've not ridden in Germany but I have in France and Spain. France is an awesome place to ride a bike. How to make people love you – part one! They're terrible drivers for the most part but they see a bike and become fantastic!

I'm not going to talk about Spanish drivers.

alpin
    Free Member

italian drivers are really shit. never seen so many dented motors, but they give way to bikes. they should do the same for other cars.

zaskar
    Free Member

LOL@samuri.

Oh and that skinny guy looks ill even though the lightness will help uphill.

It's a shame about the bad experiences on the road-we've all had them.

I'm going to take a break for a week from any riding and just-run/gym and service the bikes. Then jump back into it refreshed I hope.

(I'd miss all the socialness of mtb rides too)

I'd only get 6-7 hundred quid which is nothing these days for a bike that I've spent a double on-keeping it for the dry days seems right.

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement everyone. I hope British drivers and cyclists repect each other but without Government advertising it won't for a while till Team GB does great again-all the drivers gave us extra room when they were on tv all the time…

(Lance Armstrong fitness uphill I wish!)

corroded
    Free Member

I did the reverse and sold my road bike though I was spending a lot of time on it. Many reasons: I was starting to worry about being knocked off more, I liked riding without cars around me. But really, I just enjoyed riding the mtb more – changing direction all the time, moving around the bike more, figuring out how to ride things, getting that adrenalin rush of being airborne in a forest. It's just more engaging. But I miss road riding all the time and I miss being fit and fast and the pain of a century.

fisha
    Free Member

i've fallen away from the mountain biking over the last year in favour of the road bikes. I'll still keep the mtb though. It is good to get out and about off road from time to time.

genesis
    Free Member

Had 2 rides on my new roadbike, and am thoroughly hooked. Not ridden road for about 20yrs, used to pack in 2-300miles per week in my youth through the summer. The point is that you can go somewhere on a roadbike rather than being tied to doing mostly loops, plus there's the whole mudddy bike and kit thing and you can go for a ride straight off your doorstep unless you are lucky enough to live somewhere like Todmorden!
    When your time is streched with work and family commitments I think they are the perfect answer as well as being an excellent training aid. Even Peaty had a roadbike!

Marmoset
    Free Member

No – I sold the road bike as I was fed up of people trying to kill me on the roads here. My observations are the same as Samurai's, we're in the wrong country for enjoyable road riding, drivers in other european countries just seem to understand that a bike on the road has a real living person on top of it…..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Ever thought of selling the mtb and sticking to 'Darkside'???’ is closed to new replies.