• This topic has 21 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Rik.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Eurosport subscription renewal… many of us took advantage of a £1 a year ago!
  • househusband

This time last year many of us here took advantage of a £1 (or thereabouts) for a subscription to Eurosport; renewal date for me was yesterday – and I’d forgotten I’d had it as I’d never actuallu used it much!

Renewal is £39.99 and that’s just been debited; I’ve cancelled my subsription, emailed Eurosport and asked them very politely if I could have a proportionate refund – I’m not hopeful.  :-/

Just be aware if you did do the same last year and don’t fancy paying the £39.99…

timbog160

Have had similar with Amazon and surprisingly they were quite reasonable and refunded so always worth asking!

kelron
    Free Member

If it helps you in the future, most or all subscriptions I’ve ever had will remain active for and any prepaid time after cancelling.

I always cancel mine straight away so I can’t forget and get charged a month or a year later.

rmacattack
    Free Member

Took it because of the price, and never logged on once. Cancelled it straight away like I do with all subscriptions. Will be annoyed if anything is debited

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’ve just taken out 12 months Premier Sport for £5 a month just so I can watch NHL. Must remember to cancel next years subscription unless It’s £5 a month again, or less!

scaredypants

eurosport had an offer this year too but it was 20 quid

I went for that anyway as I watch quite a lot on it

… and, yeah, you can cancel anytime and still get the full year if you’ve paid as a one-off

jate
    Free Member

Is the rewind still only 5 minutes?  I subscribed a couple of years ago but then they changed the player, with the most significant negative being a huge reduction in the rewind, and that was pretty key for me.

scaredypants

max rewind is still 5 min but it seems like pretty much everything ends up on the on-demand section so it’s no worry for me

househusband

Well, I did ask politely and here’s the reply:

<div>Thank you for contacting the Eurosport Player support team.

I’m responding to your email regarding the refund of your annual subscription. We’re sorry to hear that you no longer wish to subscribe to the Eurosport Player.

I’d like to point out that you have subscribed to a Annual pass which is a subscription that is renewed automatically 1 year following the date of your initial subscription. There is no minimum sign up period and you can cancel your subscription at anytime up until 24h before the next renewal date or by reaching our to out support. Therefore, I am sorry to inform that I cannot respond favorably to your refund request.</div>
    <div></div>
    <div>I hope I clarified the situation for you and please let me know if you have any further questions. You can reach us by replying to this e-mail. Alternatively you can contact us via chat, leave a message on our Facebook page or reach out on Twitter (@EurosportCare).</div>
    <div>
    You might receive an email shortly inviting you to participate in our customer support survey. We look forward to receiving your feedback!</div>
    <div></div>
    <div>Have a nice day !

Kind regards,

Soufian</div>

<div>Not really surprised!</div>
    <div></div>
    <div>Did pay with PayPal so have put in a claim pointing out that I did not receive a reminder that the payment would be taken and have said that I would be happy if Eurosport were to make an administration charge of, say £10, I’d be happy with a £29.99 refund.</div>

kelron
    Free Member

Anyone know how the 14 day cooling off period applies to a subscription like this? Would it only be from the date of the original purchase last year, or does it apply from the renewal?

tod456
    Free Member

Same here and got the same reply.

SlowOldMan … what advanced warning did you get?

jamiep
    Free Member

they sent a reminder email maybe over a month ago notifying of the renewal

butcher

It’s a little bit poor of them not to cancel it immediately after renewal. But to be fair, I don’t think any of the terms were hidden at the moment of signup (the entire point of the cheap deal is to get you to subscribe). And let’s be honest, £42 for 2 years is still a very good deal! It’s less than £2 a month.

Is the rewind still only 5 minutes?

That was a bit of a deal breaker for me too. And yes, I think it’s still the same. However, when they did that, they improved their on demand stuff massively. So you’ll normally find now that once a race has finished, it will be available to watch from beginning to end.

tod456
    Free Member

Thanks, I didn’t get  / see the the email.

Digger90
    Free Member

Anyone know how the 14 day cooling off period applies to a subscription like this? Would it only be from the date of the original purchase last year, or does it apply from the renewal?

No it doesn’t.

I bought a Eurosport subscription last year, tried it, didn’t like it and called to cancel within 3 days of buying it, to be told by them that their small print includes a clause where you have opted out of the Consumer Credit Act’s 14 day cooling off period. I told them “You’ve got to be joking, that can’t be legal, etc etc…”   and they stonewalled me.

As I’d paid with Paypal, I created a Paypal dispute and got my money refunded… but it left me feeling Eurosport are a bunch of underhand shysters and I’ll never buy anything from them again.

househusband

@tod456 @jamiep

I never received an email reminder that renewal was forthcoming; I’ve double-checked.  That might count in favour of PayPal viewing my claim in a positive light….

frogstomp

For those with Amazon Prime, you can currently add Eurosport for 1p/month for the next 6 months (just set a reminder to cancel in month 6). Seems a more attractive deal than previously as I can actually watch it on my TV!

sam_underhill

Thanks for the heads up @frogstomp. Signed up.

butcher

There used to be a Eurosport Player app on Amazon, which they removed as soon as they started running their own subscription.

Rik
    Free Member

How do you add it to your prime account?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Eurosport subscription renewal… many of us took advantage of a £1 a year ago!’ is closed to new replies.