Viewing 40 posts - 37,881 through 37,920 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

may be you could explain why you are confused and we can help…
    PM, leader of the Government has said No Deal better than a bad deal, no deal = hard brexit unless you have your own pocket definition used only by you.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Not sure how comprehensive your IT link is but odd that the section of how to make this work is missed out!!

His final paragraph is worth paying the sub for – rate to get such common sense

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

odd that your [sic] confused since you raised the idea

As am I since you raised the idea that:

the Irish headlines have no link to domestic difficulties at the moment….,

And haven’t clarified. Oh hang on, you weren’t being sarcastic when you said it? You actually meant the literal meaning of the words you wrote?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I am not confused but thanks for the offfer. I will bear it in mind

Anyone can read what the UK government’s position is and to chose whether to ignore what they read or not. Your choice

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

chose [sic] whether to ignore what they read

Like choosing to ignore awkward questions? 😀

onewheelgood

while ending the UK’s obligation to comply with EU rules on the freedom of movement of citizens. It would only eliminate trade borders -– including in Ireland – completely if it covered pretty much all areas of commerce.

Allowing us to have an open border with the ROI through which any migrant could saunter at will. Pardon me, but isn’t stopping that happening the main reason we are in this mess?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Anyone can read what the UK government’s position is and to chose whether to ignore what they read or not. Your choice

Yes we can, we can also laugh at the funny bits, we can also think outside of that particular box and look at the public statements of people such as the PM who offered a toys out the pram solution if demands/positions are not met – she threatened it therefore the option is in play. At present it looks less and less likely the UK will get what it wants to we will see if she was bluffing or not.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Clearly mike. We haven’t started negotiating the issues that determine everything else. Makes the hard exit more likely doesn’t it?

Pity we are still not into proper negotiations – hence the reasons for sensible stuff like the FT link. Again you can chose to read that if you wish

thecaptain
    Free Member

Well TM would rather have a hard brexit than a bad deal, so that wouldn’t be so bad would it?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Both would be bad

igm

Which particular UK government? We seem to have several at the moment, with the constituent parts changing almost randomly.

kilo

The Irish Times article (here) doesn’t contain any final paragraphs on making the Fitzgerald concept work, to be fair they don’t on any of the five proposed systems they look at (and I’m not bothered enough to buy the FT) Interesting quote re any WTO move by U.K. “Under rules set by the World Trade Organisation, both Britain and the EU would be obliged to have sufficient controls at their borders on goods movements” so the concept of no hard border and WTO may be incompatible

igm

teamhurtmore – Member
    Both would be bad

With soft / negotiated Brexit making a full set of three bad things…

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

True IGM we are our own worst enemy

Perhaps they were avoiding FitzGerald’s comments about the current direction being a clear lose:lose

the consequences of that (HB) would be disastrous, with damage to the EU, of course, and to Ireland in particular

Be careful what you wish for!

kimbers

We haven’t started negotiating the issues that determine everything else.

How much can we negotiate?
    May drew up to her red lines on No deal, ECJ, Single Market & Customs Union very early on (all aimed at pleasing the press rather than being good for the country)

EU always been clear they don’t want us to pick & choose from 4 freedoms, but Norway or Swiss options available.

But we were hamstrung most by David Davis signing up to the EU scheduling without a whimper of protest, the minute he agreed to that the EU had is by the balls.

Im not sure whether it was, ignorance, shock after the election result or some cunning strategy to bluff the EU, but it’s led to this impasse

Thick as mince

kelvin

Be careful what you wish for!

Provocative empty statement. Hungry?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Thanks for the link kilo

Two good articles in two papers today. Makes a change

GrahamS

So did anyone listen to Craig Mackinlay (Tory/ex-UKIP) on the Today programme this morning trying to explain why, as a member of the Brexit select committee, he thought it was perfectly reasonable for the government not to trust his committee with the uncensored versions of the Brexit impact reports?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09gbn38 (2:53 onwards)

binners

I heard it

To be fair to him he didn’t actually use the words ‘Saboteurs’, ‘Traitors’ or ‘Enemies of the People’, he merely implied it.

When does it become law that every school and workplace has to stand to attention, salute to the picture of the queen and sing the national anthem every morning? It surely can’t be long now?

GrahamS

Yep.

Complete blame shift onto accusing “some members” and specifically Labour of trying to act against “the national interest” by asking for information.

I suspect that is the new narrative.

The government is ignoring the will of parliament for our own good.

theotherjonv

When does it become law that every school and workplace has to stand to attention, salute to the picture of the queen and sing the national anthem every morning?

Won’t happen now the future King’s brother is marrying… a…..a….a…..a DARKIE!

I was unfortunate enough to witness a white supremacist’s march in Durham at the weekend; their tiny brains must be exploding with the problem.

binners

Priti Patel has just added to the debate, by gracing us with the benefit of her opinion. And why shouldn’t she? I think we can all admire her sterling record on international diplomacy

My views on money are pretty clear, I don’t like spending money so I would have told the EU in particular to sod off with their excessive financial demands.

Thanks for your contribution Priti

mikewsmith
    Free Member

My views on money are pretty clear, I don’t like spending money so I would have told the EU in particular to sod off with their excessive financial demands.

So how did she manage to book holidays then 😉

kimbers

binnesr, please use her full title… Disgraced former development sectretary Patel?

thats simply not true, she paid for that holiday to Israel all by herself, as it was all work she couldve easily claimed it back in expenses

Its been a while since a Tory Brexiter tried to seriusly undermine May & hamper the negotiations, almost reassuring to see normal service resumed

dannyh
    Free Member

Ooooooooh!

Is something good about to happen?

Here’s hoping that Davis et al are totally exposed as trying to suppress inconvenient information whilst making a mess of ‘negotiations’. Some noise from Priti Patel can’t hide the fact that Davis is being hauled into the headmaster’s office for a bit of a frank exchange.

Could this….please…..be the start of this nonsense starting to be slowed down to an eventual halt?

I love the conceit that releasing the Brexit analysis unredacted could lead to a weakened ‘negotiating’ position with the EU! Like they don’t realise we are over a barrel anyway.

Ludicrous.

dannyh
    Free Member

Reading through the accusations and counter-accusations between the government and the Brexit committee there is a stark difference in the precision of the language.

Brexit Committee – specific and to the point.

Government – vague, wishy-washy, obfuscatory, evasive.

Makes you wonder who really has the best interests of the UK at heart……

binners

Well, it looks like the Irish government has resolved its issues so that there won’t be a general election that the Brexiteers all wanted. So the situation stays the same there. They’ll veto any deal that involves a hard border, so that remains as irreconcilable as ever.

And weren’t the German elections meant to deliver progress?

Its almost as if they’re desperately clutching at straws to try and wish-in some desperate hope from somewhere…. anywhere…. or failing that, then someone else to blame for this monumental cluster-****!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Well, it looks like the Irish government has resolved its issues so that there won’t be a general election that the Brexiteers all wanted. So the situation stays the same there. They’ll veto any deal that involves a hard border, so that remains as irreconcilable as ever.

So what will be their endgame? Who loses most in that scenario – the UK or RoI?

kimbers

teamhurtmore – Member

wtf didnt Fitzgerald just quit sooner?

tbh I think that the EU wouldve backed the Irish position regardless of whether they government was having an election, its not so much the Irish position as the EU position, has been from day 1.

all itll take is for Germany to form a new coalition and all the brexiters will have their schadenfreude taken away from them!*

meanwhile Davis is floundering badly in the HoC, I really wouldnt be surprised if we had a new Brexit secretary before we had a new PM at this rate!

As for Eire, May has boxed herself in with CU & SM red lines, so the Irish will want compensating some how, straight up cash would be a disaster for May so it will have to be something May can sell- a promise of a trade deal, but one that massively favours Ireland somehow, shed let them have th Isle of Mann if we didnt need all the tax havens we can hold on to right now 😉

*quite right too, wouldnt want to dilute our proud english language with a german word

binners

There are no winners here. But the Irish have at least got enough intelligence to recognise this. But then they seem to inhabit a world called ‘reality’. Not the one in David Davis’ head which involves soft borders patrolled by magic fairies in drones and zeppelins

kimbers

here we go

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

True binners

Kimbers – how can you box yourself in. We have voted to end membership of the Eu and hence single market and CU. We are now attempting – largely in vain – to negotiate the terms of our access to the SM and vice versa.

binners

As for Eire, May has boxed herself in with CU & SM red lines

I think she’ll go down as not just the worst PM in history, but the worst politician. Triggering article 50 without a clue what to do next, then starting your negotiations (from an incredibly weak position) by stating what is absolutely non-negotiable.

The utter ineptitude and blind stupidity really is breath-taking

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Brexit: He who loses least “wins”

kimbers

We have voted to end membership of the Eu and hence single market and CU.

yeah the ballot paper was never that specific as you well know

you also know that there are other options on the table

kilo

binners – Member
    Well, it looks like the Irish government has resolved its issues so that there won’t be a general election that the Brexiteers all wanted. So the situation stays the same there.

I think the situation was going to remain the same even if there had been a general election, FF or SF or any combination, weren’t going to give May an easier time on the border

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I think the situation was going to remain the same even if there had been a general election, FF or SF or any combination, weren’t going to give May an easier time on the border

This. (No “think” about it either.)

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

How can you put multiple options on a ballot paper when those are things that can only be negotiated at a later date?

mefty
    Free Member

Very, very different from what you describe in terms of collecting the deals

Of course, BH is a closed end investment company, which is a completely different type of business to a bank. However, it had at least one business unit that operated on a similar basis as I used to collaborate and compete with it.

One other point to clarify, in the context of a bank,long term is generally anything with a maturity of more one year.

igm

Yep whereas short term to us is probably 5-10 years.

Viewing 40 posts - 37,881 through 37,920 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.