Viewing 40 posts - 35,961 through 36,000 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • mefty
    Free Member

*perhaps didn’t take as much advantage of the education on offer would be a better way of putting it

Perhaps as they are slightly older, there were fewer higher education opportunities on offer – plenty of workplace ones though but they don’t count for the statistics.

Edukator
    Free Member

I’ve only read Spanish, German and French papers in the last week and would stuggle with Dutch or Danish. In what way would Dutch or Danish be different apart from the fact that Holland is another country under fire in the Paradise papers?

You’re as thin on information as ever THM, this isn’t a guessing game you know. Be brave, present some information or even some opinion.

Junkyard
    Free Member

the less well educated you are the more likely you are to be a brexit voter and right wing

its obvious why some dont like this fact but that alone wont stop it being a fact. Clutching at straws is more likely an example of it than a counter 😉

PS not everyone right wing is thick as mefty shows on many many occasions ….others on here much less so

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

As one of the Edukated why do YOU think the Dutch and the Danes might think differently?

You’re as thin on information as ever THM, this isn’t a guessing game you know. Be brave, present some information or even some opinion.

😯

kelvin

You brought it up. Weird. So much effort going into saying so little.

kimbers

Perhaps as they are slightly older, there were fewer higher education opportunities on offer

Even when accounting for age, it still held true, been through this with ninfan/jambs

I’ll try and find the link

Edit, here’s one
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38762034

Edukator
    Free Member

If I should have read something in a Dutch or German paper link it. Because asking dumb, random questions about which papers I read isn’t getting this thread anywhere.

What are you on about, THM? Nobody here has a clue.

Have you watched TGV?

tjagain

Junkyard – lazarus

obvs they lack our self restraint TJ

I am famous for it – or is it infamous?

tjagain

Edukator – want the dutch news in English?
    http://www.dutchnews.nl/

NOte – my sister runs this site so please all click on it to give her more advertising revenue so she can retire in riches

kelvin

Grown ups … some good people moved from FCO to the two new ministries… some have gone back… some have left the service entirely… find one still “at it” that’ll give you a positive line and I’d be suprised. As for those who thought they had wisely stuck with the FCO… worst time of their career seems to be the consensus at the moment.

DrJ

Those things may be true, kelvin, but they don’t answer the question that I have asked three times now,

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Nobody here has a clue

That’s a bit harsh, but some comments suggest you might not be too far off the mark 😉

DrJ

More sneering; no information.

Edukator
    Free Member

If you hadn’t added a smiley to show me that was in jest I’d have thought you were being a dick.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Good job I didn’t mislead you then isn’t it?

You could extend the same courtesy as some people who are new here might think that your posts are serious. I thought that for a while until you proved me wrong

zokes
    Free Member

But can you answer it, or do you only have more sneering?

All he does is sneer, even more so now the niches left by Jamby and ninfan are there for the taking. It’ll only take a few more steps for him to go all batshit chewkw on us.

As an observation on the leave voters having less intelligence than remain voters: assuming a normal distribution, it would be safe to say that 52:48 more or less cuts down the middle of the population. We all know that under a normal distribution the mean is equal to the median. It’s just possible that all but the 2% over 50% who voted for leave are below average intelligence 💡

Edukator
    Free Member

That rhetorical question would be better ended with “!” or “.”, or you should have left off the smiley.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

So what next disqualify voters because they are not intelligent enough??

Wow this comes from people who like to throw the patronising accusation around. What water for that steam iron?

tjagain

Where is Ninfan?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Bullied off the forum?

kimbers

#prayforninfan

Edukator
    Free Member

It’s never a question of where Ninfan is when he disappears. You just have to work out who Ninfan is when he reappears.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – Member
    So what next disqualify voters because they are not intelligent enough??

Is that what you are suggesting?

Thought ninfan was either banned or trying more logins, he could also be preoccupied with a massive boner over terrorism and mass shootings

tjagain

Ninfan is also capable of some good postings and is informative on access and stuff. He is at least entertaining as a troll

kimbers

So now that Patel has gone and Johnsons fate is in the hands of the revolutionary guard…

There’s 2 less brexies in the cabinet

Chin up lads!

Junkyard
    Free Member

he is not but he is bright. Never understood why bright folk troll – I include THM in this as he could easily just explain his view but he prefers to insult folk and patronise.

Ninfan just wanted a reaction and to be contrary if we were all right wing he would pretend to be Stalin and threaten pogroms for the reaction.

airtragic
    Free Member

As an observation on the leave voters having less intelligence than remain voters: assuming a normal distribution, it would be safe to say that 52:48 more or less cuts down the middle of the population. We all know that under a normal distribution the mean is equal to the median. It’s just possible that all but the 2% over 50% who voted for leave are below average intelligence

I struggle with this a bit (I know it’s at least partially tongue in cheek), and Junkyard’s comment on the previous page about right wing ness and education level. It all seems a bit too neat for me, I think tying intelligence directly to education level is a bit suspect. I’m not sure how you define intelligence as there seem to be lots of different types, plus you’d have to allow for social norms, groupthink etc. Anecdotally, broadly true I think but I’m sure everyone can think of exceptions to prove the rule!

Junkyard
    Free Member

broadly true I think but I’m sure everyone can think of exceptions to prove the rule!

well that is the point of an average statement. On average men are taller than women but we can all think of exceptions but that does not make the statement false- men are still taller [ on average]

I think its hard to argue with this graph – its been a while since we had one 😉

zokes
    Free Member

I struggle with this a bit (I know it’s at least partially tongue in cheek), and Junkyard’s comment on the previous page about right wing ness and education level. It all seems a bit too neat for me, I think tying intelligence directly to education level is a bit suspect. I’m not sure how you define intelligence as there seem to be lots of different types, plus you’d have to allow for social norms, groupthink etc. Anecdotally, broadly true I think but I’m sure everyone can think of exceptions to prove the rule!

Well, it is a bit tongue in cheek, but under a normal distribution by definition half the population is of below average intelligence. This was something that with delicious irony Gove famously failed to grasp in an enquiry as Education Secretary a few years ago.

There was a fairly famous scientific study conducted on this a few years ago: http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0956797611421206

Even the Daily Wail reported it 😆

As for the comment about not letting less intelligent people vote, of course that’s idiotic. However, there is definitely at least an opportunity for discussion on how to improve voter education and engagement on the issues upon which they are voting. I don’t think anyone can argue with a straight face that everyone who voted in the referendum fully understood the implications of their vote. To improve democracy you need to improve voter understanding of the issues at hand. That’s where dog-whistling from Farage et al. was so destructive.

airtragic
    Free Member

But are graduates necessarily more intelligent? Plus, that’s a pretty noisy graph, I think the right-hand half of the line is struggling a bit!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

True for remoaners too Zokes. The staggering amount of BS posted by remoaners since the result shows education is required all round – even on very basic facts

pondo

You really have run out of things to say.

mefty
    Free Member

Edit, here’s one

I don’t think it addresses the point, which is when I went up to university in the early 80s only something like 10% did, so fewer of my generation would have been through higher education. It doesn’t follow my generation have lower IQs than younger generations where attendance at university was much higher. However, it is not really an important point as the average age of leave versus remain voters is far closer than the stereotypical view would suggest.

However it is a good link because it includes this gem from Dominic Cummings

the better educated are more prone to holding irrational political opinions because they are more driven by fashion and a group mentality.

Which is nicely encapsulated in this thread by the fact that anyone disagreeing with the pervasive view is called a troll.

Anyway the view of smug remain voters that they are more intelligent than leave voters provides a convenient fig leave to hid the fact they couldn’t mount a sufficiently persuasive argument to convince their fellow citizens.

airtragic
    Free Member

As for the comment about not letting less intelligent people vote, of course that’s idiotic. However, there is definitely at least an opportunity for discussion on how to improve voter education and engagement on the issues upon which they are voting. I don’t think anyone can argue with a straight face that everyone who voted in the referendum fully understood the implications of their vote. To improve democracy you need to improve voter understanding of the issues at hand. That’s where dog-whistling from Farage et al. was so destructive.

Agree with this, but don’t you think a lot of young graduates voted remain, without fully understanding the implications, because all their friends were? Probably not in the same numbers, of course!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Anyway the view of smug remain voters that they are more intelligent than leave voters provides a convenient fig leave to hid the fact they couldn’t mount a sufficiently persuasive argument to persuade their fellow citizens.

Yep we all love the who won the school debate competition… It seems like none of the stuff leave promised is going to happen, plenty of the remain projections are starting to come very true.
    Having a good sales pitch isn’t the same as selling something good

kimbers

Which is nicely encapsulated in this thread by the fact that anyone disagreeing with the pervasive view is called a troll.

Ninfans not labelled a troll just coz he’s rightwing, that’d be coz he’s a troll, anyone banned for making comments about raping someone’s mum, gets the troll tag from me.

As for Dominic Cummings, his latter comments about how brexit’s going are far more appealing to this smug remoaner

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Anyway the view of smug remain voters that they are more intelligent than leave voters provides a convenient fig leave to hid the fact they couldn’t mount a sufficiently persuasive argument to convince their fellow citizens.

Well said. More inconvenient facts hence the desperate need to bully and intimidate others who disagree

Same old culprits as always.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Amusing to run through the backgrounds of the immediate negotiating team and then read the crass insults directed at them ^

Great how people condemn themselves with their own posts and have no shame in doing it either!

mefty
    Free Member

As for Dominic Cummings, his latter comments about how brexit’s going are far more appealing to this smug remoaner

Not if you read what he said rather than what was cherry picked by the papers.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

lol THM, if you can’t see ninfan trying desperately to be on the extreme position of anything while struggling to keep up with himself in terms of consistency in any kind of argument, failing to answer any question posed (well we all know who are guilty of that one) complete ignorance of any evidence posted to the contrary etc.

Viewing 40 posts - 35,961 through 36,000 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM