Viewing 40 posts - 34,841 through 34,880 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • mefty
    Free Member

Remember guys, their vote counts the same as yours, that’s democracy!

Whilst there were no doubt some deeply unpleasant incidents, there appears to have only been a very short time spike. However, the media can give the wrong impression when they looking to back up statistics. For instance, the widely reported murder of a Pole in Harlow which was originally assumed to be evidence of a hate crime, turned out, during the rather less widely reported trial, to be nothing of the sort.

kimbers

No wonder Dominic Cummings deleted his Twitter account, Farage has legged it , the brexies in gov are rounding on Hammond.

Seems thick as mince Davis is struggling

binners

Davis seems to be in different meetings to everyone else.

They must be the ones that go on exclusively in his head

I’m starting to think that, though not stating so publically, these lunatics are deliberately scuppering any chance of a deal, so that in the resulting carnage as we crash out, they can use all the new powers they’ve given themselves, and we’ll repeatedly be hearing the phrase

“we are left with simply no option but to……”

followed by a long list of previously unthinkable policies that ultra right wing lunatics have been fantasising about for decades.

They’re deliberately engineering a crisis

mrchrispy

I’m coming to the conclusion that this is indeed the case.

I’ve the (rather hopeful) feeling that they want to demonstrate how much of a car crash its going to be in order to get the mouth breathers back on board.

mattjg
    Free Member

@binners IMO they plan to walk out, always have done.

mattjg
    Free Member

Whilst there were no doubt some deeply unpleasant incidents, there appears to have only been a very short time spike.

watch the film.

mattjg
    Free Member

besides which mefty my point was about the masked interviewees having the power to decide my future.

R979
    Free Member

It’s in the government’s interest (though not the rest of us) for talks to fail and there be no deal.

If the public is left thinking that the problems we will face post-brexit were caused by EU inflexibility then it makes the Tories ‘electable’ beyond the end of A50.

It also gives them so many opportunities to distract from their incompetence that led to the referendum in the first place and continue to with austerity.

[tinfoil] Maybe all of this stuff with Boris and Co is an elaborate part of their wider strategy? [/tinfoil]

mefty
    Free Member

watch the film.

I did, there is nothing in it which contradicts my point, which is essentially one should have a sense of proportion, which I appreciate is somewhat heretical on here.

besides which mefty my point was about the masked interviewees having the power to decide my future.

This is much more the forum’s cup of tea.

disco_stu
    Free Member

It looks like they’ve had a read of the Shock Doctrine 🙁

kimbers

Lawson calling for Hammond to be sacked now

……… rats in a sack

All because Hammond wont spend money on preparing for a hard Brexit, surely Lawson knows the cost of setting up new customs & border checks would be huge, the ideology of the Brexies is rather scary

binners

It looks like they’ve had a read of the Shock Doctrine

Indeed. It went well during the banking crisis. I fear that that was just the dress rehearsal. The result will be the same. The people who instigate the carnage will just walk away having done very nicely out of it, leaving the ‘little people’ to pick up the pieces

the ideology of the Brexies is rather scary

I think of it more of a cult than an ideology. These lunatics are absolute zealots who are determined to do it as some kind of proof of faith, despite all logic and evidence pointing to the insanity of it. And as we can see with Hammond, anyone blaspheming by calling it into question, or failing to swear a true alliegence is shouted down as a heretic

TheBrick
    Free Member

It’s a continuation of blame everything on the EU. That way it gives them a excuse to do what ever they want

jimster01

It’s a continuation of blame everything on the EU. That way it gives them a excuse to do what ever they want

it also gives them the “It’s their fault” excuse because they wouldn’t give us our cake and let us eat it.

Del

‘I thought the best option was to remain, I haven’t changed my mind on that’

– Jeremy Corbyn.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

The UK has to make the EU think we will walk away. Otherwise they will not negotiate properly, This is brinkmanship on both sides – who blinks first?

They need to bang their heads together and get down to negotiating future trading relationships. This willy waving isn’t going to get us very far.

Pretty sad really when our livelihoods are at stake but that typifies both parties involved.

igm

The basic problem dear THM is that an awful lot of the UK, and indeed a lot of parliament and the government, don’t really want to negotiate because they don’t want to leave.

Now you can say there was a vote, or we’re leaving, until you’re blue in the face, but it doesn’t change the fact that we, as a nation, are at best halfhearted about this simply because we are indeed half hearted about it.

For a successful Brexit a consensus had to be built that supported the result of the vote. Nobody has shown much interest in that.

Or in other words, the vote was the start of the UK deciding what to do, and too many people have treated it as the end of the decision.

slowoldman

Pretty sad really when our livelihoods are at stake but that typifies both parties involved.

Quite right. We shouldn’t rely on politicians to run our affairs.

Del

Engineers would do a far better job. 😉

binners

Iain Duncan Smith has just been on channel 4 news.

He’s saying everything is fine

The man is a complete imbecile

If he thinks it’s fine, then we are truly ****ed!

mattyfez

Well that’s the thing, us leaving will sting the EU and will cause them to have to make adjustments they’d really rather not..
    But us, it will really hurt, we’ve barely got over the last recession and we are plunging ourselves into and even bigger badder one.
    We know this, the EU know this, the EU aren’t going to self harm themselves as some sort of good will gesture by cutting us a deal, they have absolutely no motives or compulsion to do so.

the EU will dictate the terms of departure and we can like it or walk away even worse of, doubly worse off if we flounce as in the world stage it will be obvious what **** we’re being and that will make WTO trade negotiations very difficult, yes well get trade agreements but it with no international feeling of trust, they will be stacked very much against our interests.

slowoldman

Engineers would do a far better job.

When John Harvey Jones was chairman of ICI he was very keen to take on engineers in senior management roles. I’m not referring to the bloke who fixes your spin drier though.

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Structured failure-
    1. Blame nasty EU
    2. Tighten belts poor people
    3. We are all in this together
    4. Remember Dunkirk

Edukator
    Free Member

The UK has to make the EU think we will walk away.

If the UK team continues as it is the EU will be begging the UK to walk away. So far UK politiciens have spent their time telling the UK population that they seek to gain (unfair)advantage. They’ve also produced papers to show they intend to make life difficult for EU citizens in the UK, create a customs evasion system through Ireland, and in no way honour their part of EU debt.

26 heads of state have to sign a deal that is acceptable to their their citizens or refuse to sign, the alternative is losing their next election.

Del

I’m not referring to the bloke who fixes your spin drier though

Me either! 😆

martinhutch

Any chance of a military coup? Looking like an attractive option every time you glance at the talents of HM government and opposition.

kimbers

Well we were told in work today that the government has assured the uni that we will be able to keep applying for H2020 grants (via the transition period, presumably) and that they intend to be part of the next 7 year science program too.
    of course that means we’d have to be paying in to the EU budgets in some form post transition.

Which I suppose is why Hammond is not bothering to plan for a no deal.

Its a very confusing mess

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

seek to gain (unfair)advantage. They’ve also produced papers to show they intend to make life difficult for EU citizens in the UK, create a customs evasion system through Ireland, and in no way honour their part of EU debt.

Crap day on the trains, so good that we can allays rely on Ed to post some comic observations

Even by your standards those comments are “fantastic”

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

we’ve barely got over the last recession and we are plunging ourselves into and even bigger badder one.

Neither correct, but don’t worry

We know this, the EU know this, the EU aren’t going to self harm themselves as some sort of good will gesture by cutting us a deal, they have absolutely no motives or compulsion to do so.

The EU has strong motivations to avoid a hard Brexshit. They know it, we know it. They aren’t go to self harm either.

This is just extended foreplay 😉

Edukator
    Free Member

You haven’t read Barnier’s coments on the talks this week, THM. That’s his summary of why there is no progress.

kimbers

The governments contradictory position on what happens to EU citizens post brexit has definitely had an effect, their own website contradicts itself on how and if eu citizens can become permanent residents, its certainly upset quite a few european colleagues, several have already left.

The atmosphere whipped up by brexit & subsequently pushed by the Tories looking very unpleasant to them.

igm

Del – Member

I’m not referring to the bloke who fixes your spin drier though

Me either! [/quote]

I think you might meant folk like me. Not sure that’s a good idea.

Edukator
    Free Member

The EU has strong motivations to avoid a hard Brexshit.

Give me at least two then as “motivations” is plural. I’m sure I can think of a lot more reasons for saying “bon débarass”.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

“Think”? That’s twice now 😉

Edukator
    Free Member

And an example of the “strong motivations” of the EU to avoid a hard Brexit. Put up or shut up.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Hmmmmmm………

Junkyard
    Free Member

Ed why you bothering ? he is just a troll these days. Perhaps he always was but he is never going to add any substance to his claims he is only going to patronise and goad you.

How much more evidence do you need of this?

I like the way he moans about how folk have driven Jamby from this thread and then he does the type of thing he would be outraged about if it was done to he mate. Its not worth the effort as he will patronise us all without our input – though I do at least get a free pass. I think its probably the nicest punishment I have ever had.

dissonance

And an example of the “strong motivations” of the EU to avoid a hard Brexit

In fairness it is against their interests. Its just that it would be even more against their interests to pander to the random whims of whichever tory is in charge of the toy box today.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Of course it’s against their interests.

That goes without saying

mattyfez

we’ve barely got over the last recession and we are plunging ourselves into and even bigger badder one.

THM- Neither correct, but don’t worry

Really..well we know what happened in 2008, what would you hazard is causing the current slump? Any takers?

Viewing 40 posts - 34,841 through 34,880 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.