Viewing 40 posts - 29,041 through 29,080 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • Junkyard
    Free Member

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/singletrack-world-forum-e/cpgdlmbifgbhcoigdoeoooakijdionop

you need to then download deluge to make it work – no idea why
    Works with chrome browser not sure of others

kelvin

Doesn’t surprise me at all

Well, it should, because it didn’t happen.

kelvin

Exit polls look awful for LePen&Co as well.

aracer
    Free Member

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/singletrack-world-forum-e/cpgdlmbifgbhcoigdoeoooakijdionop is what I’m using, though only works on Chrome. I also did the latest updates, and open to suggestions (though I’ve kind of been working on the next update for the last two years, so it may not be implemented quickly!)

PJM1974
    Free Member

I can assure any interested parties that this Chrome add-on has increased my enjoyment of this forum by at least 80%.

I will happily buy whoever wrote it a pint or three.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Exit polls look awful for LePen&Co as well.

8 seats.

What was jamba predicting back when he told us France would lurch to the right?

Hang in, it wasn’t 150 was it?

PJM1974
    Free Member

Well, I for one am delighted that the Front National is on the back foot. Long may it stay that way.

teethgrinder

Cheers!

aracer
    Free Member

I have to admit I have no idea what deluge is, and fairly sure I don’t have it installed – though I am usually running a dev version of the extension (really should check what the difference is to the current release version) I’m sure the release version also works.

aracer
    Free Member

See my message above 😉 I’d take a pint off you as I’ve only done updates, were it not that I’ve not touched the block user feature – I know who did write it, but I don’t think he’s on here very often (and his user name is disconcertingly similar to the user who usually prompts its installation!): http://singletrackworld.com/forum/profile/chvck

kelvin

Back on topic, Labour have mirrored May and her team’s “cake and eat it” approach so as not to leave any clear water between the two main parties on Brexit during the General Election, so they couldn’t be accused of sliding away from the Leave process. Those hoping that the top two in the Labour Party will take a more sensible approach now the election is done, are probably deluding themselves; they will be aiming to be ready for another snap election.

So… once it’s clear the options are “no cake at all” or “remain” (rather than the many fanciful contradictory options hoped for over the last 2 years)… and “the people” don’t get given a clear choice between the two real options… how well is democracy working then?

Junkyard
    Free Member

can you get stats to see who is the most blocked?

We know who it is , and his lead is unassailable, but to what degree.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Well, that’s plus two in the last ten minutes.

El-bent
    Free Member

Today the first dose of reality will arrive.

This past year reminds me very much of the community charge(poll Tax)

1. The community charge. Some people thought it was a good idea.
    2. The tories at the time had a large majority.
    3. The debates about the Community Charge went on. Some dispute it made
    sense. Others warned of the dangers.
    4. Some in House of Lords said it was a very bad idea. So the Tories
    summoned to the Lords every “backwoodsman” hereditary peer in the land.
    5. In what was one of the highest votes in parliamentary history the
    government forced the Bill though the upper house. Timetable was kept.
    6. It was first implemented in Scotland. Hugely unpopular. Wiped out
    Tories in Scotland for political generation.
    But the tories shrugged.
    7. And then the councils set the amounts to pay.
    The Community Charge became the hated Poll Tax.
    8. It did not matter if it was a clever idea. It did not matter if there
    was a “mandate”. It did not matter the government had kept to the
    timetable.
    9. When people saw how much the idea was going to cost, they went
    against it.

10. Similarly, the test for Brexit will not be whether mandate or timetable
    has been kept, or “Eurocrats” defeated, or even if it is a good idea.
    11. The test for Brexit will be when people pay real costs for the
    policy.

So, bearing in mind the points in bold above are warnings from history, if the tories attempt a hard brexit, and once the real costs of leaving and then being on the outside to businesses and individuals come into focus, which will happen very soon, it will spell the end of the tory party.

aracer
    Free Member

Sorry, one last OT:

Interesting feature suggestion, but nope (and I suspect it would involve collecting data from users in a way they wouldn’t like as everything happens at your end).

FWIW I never used the blocking feature as I disagreed with it on principle and reasoned I could just ignore posts, but I recently started and it’s very refreshing!

aracer
    Free Member

The trouble is not only will that come too late to make a difference, but check out interviews of Brexit supporters, most seem to consider the cost to be worth paying to “take back control” and “stop those bloody furriners”.

El-bent
    Free Member

The trouble is not only will that come too late to make a difference, but check out interviews of Brexit supporters,

I understand that brexit supporters will attempt to achieve their aims at any cost to everyone else, they have lived in a dream land for the past year. From today reality comes calling.

They are sitting on a time bomb, and its about to go off.

PJM1974
    Free Member

We’re in uncharted waters for sure. However, we’ve a Prime Minister who continues to damage her own standing with her conduct post Grenfell and who has made several strategic blunders in her negotiations with the DUP and has led a disastrous campaign – here.

The hard-right pro Brexit faction of the party cannot muster enough MPs to mount a serious challenge, despite the bluster in the Daily Heil, Telegraph et al. The 1922 Committee seem to have backed May for now, simply because the other options are utterly toxic and a leadership challenge on the eve of negotiations will ultimately damage the Conservatives’ brand even further.

The lack of a commons majority will mean compromise. The voices calling for the whole shebang to be called off are growing louder.

gordimhor

can you get stats to see who is the most blocked

A sort of chexit poll!

nickc

FWIW I never used the blocking feature as I disagreed with it on principle and reasoned I could just ignore posts, but I recently started and it’s very refreshing!

I downloaded it specifically to block chewkw

mrmo
    Free Member

El-bent somewhere up thread there is a link to a piece with Nigel Lawson, the tories needed a big mandate because they would get hammered in the next election. They would loose seats, but if they started with enough they would remain in power.

Nothing about what is good for the electorate, just about power and keeping it

metalheart
    Free Member

Judging by the main culprits responses I’m pretty sure they’ve blocked themselves!

Certainly would explain how they keep repeatedly posting the most ludicrous reality avoiding shite…

I just wish someone could do an iOS killfile. I used to think it was in unnecessary but it really has become extremely tedious of late.

oldnpastit

Have we done this? Philip Hammond says that no deal (the most likely outcome IMO, and what Jamba wants) would be very bad indeed:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/18/philip-hammond-undermines-pm-eve-brexit-talks-says-no-deal-would/

I note in passing that his odds of being next PM have gone from 14/1 to 7/1.

Memo to self: sell all remaining savings, ISAs, pensions, etc that are invested in the UK.

Junkyard
    Free Member

is hammond no longer part of jambys 85% vote for Hard brexit?

nickjb
    Free Member

can you get stats to see who is the most blocked?

Just make the figures up then present them as facts

aracer
    Free Member

Why didn’t I think of that? It’s not like you lot could have fact checked me if I’d claimed I had the stats here 8)

Pigface
    Free Member

Seeing Gove being interviewed leaves me feeling bilious

oldracer
    Free Member

I have to be the honest the longer this Brexit debacle goes on – the more & more ridiculous it & it’s supported are becoming….

It’s mind blowing that they are STILL blowing the trumpet for it….

Junkyard
    Free Member

Why didn’t I think of that?

wait three weeks then post what you like saying it is what you always said 😛

El-bent
    Free Member

Nothing about what is good for the electorate, just about power and keeping it

Yes. When people who voted for brexit heard the line “taking back control”, who did they think this “control” was going back to?

What it means is the burning of the terms and conditions of UK citizens, the tories despise anything remotely “social”, their behavior towards the greenfell tower fire and on the run up to such an incident is conservative attitude personified. Where was the Government, either national or local at the beginning? It was the community and charities that took up the slack, in the same way that foodbanks are now normal, just how this Government wants it. I’ve said it before, this is a Government that hates Government, just only wants its power.

Anyone seen as using any social service such as the NHS, or living in social housing are seen as a waste of THEIR money.

Also, this may be a hot topic for some, but the phrase “Turkeys voting for Christmas” has been used a lot about those who voted for Brexit who stand to lose from it. While there are many factors in this such as de-industrialisation, generations left unemployed, and of course the “Foreigners are to blame” lines from the Brexit camp,(working out well now people are dying on the streets) Education has a large part to play. People down the order shall we say, despite there being a public education system which is also under attack from the Government, have been poorly educated and largely ignored once again by this Government.

See the pattern forming?

This is what taking back control is.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I note the extremely illiberal tone of the pro-Conservative media of late. The alarm bells really started to sound when the Daily Heil appeared to endorse Le Pen on their front page.

There seems to be a growing backlash against the illiberal media – organisations like Stop Funding Hate are making headway in ensuring that advertisers are aware of the negative publicity resulting from associating their brand to the far-right press. Breitbart has already seen advertisers leave in droves.

The Daily Express’s headline last week which insinuated that the EU was to blame for Grenfell Tower was quite shocking, but I honestly don’t think that many people were fooled.

Junkyard
    Free Member

and negotiations begin in earnest as the two Assange brothers finally get down to business

slowoldman

I’m predicting a technical knockout towards the end of the first round.

matt_outandabout

I’m predicting that the current “It is fine, of course our Euro-Buddies will give us the deal we want” message will evaporate within a couple of months.

At which point the govt. is faced with telling us the truth of the real costs of brexit, in so doing so committing a final act of political suicide.

Or they could do a smile and wave as long as they can and pretend that a Euro30bn exit fee, crappy trade deal, no collaboration on customs, education, food etc is ‘all good’, until in 2019 we discover the deal is in fact the Emperors New clothes….

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

You started this thread matt, your OP was:

I am torn between both.

Part of me thinks more local decisions and less centralised is a Good Thing.

But part of me thinks it is working OK, and would it rock the boat lots to leave?

So where are you on the whole thing now?

[Sorry, this is not a “picking-on-you-by-finding-a-quote-from-ages-ago” post, just curious as to whether you’re still torn?]

kimbers

is there odds on what the divorce bill will be?

I cant see this going well tbh

May & davis have already pissed away 2 months out of the 20 or so we have to negotiate with their batshit election

assuming we get a 50bn divorce bill (+/-)

and we pay in 8bn or so a yr to the EU

thatll 2025 before we break even

after that even the softest of brexits costing 20bn a year

that means that we have to make up an extra 6bn a year from our new global trade nirvana just to break even

https://www.ft.com/content/db2716aa-5026-11e7-a1f2-db19572361bb

kerley
    Free Member

Doesn’t matter how much we are worse off, we will be in total control of those losses.

(and we will have WAY less foreigners)

jam-bo

poe’s law. i really cant tell if your serious or taking the piss.

oldnpastit

So, “no deal is better than a bad deal”. Is that profound statement true for everything?

e.g.

– No beer is better than bad beer.
    – No breakfast is better than a bad breakfast
    – No Brexit is better than a bad Brexit
    – No PM is better than a bad PM.

Viewing 40 posts - 29,041 through 29,080 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.