Viewing 40 posts - 19,361 through 19,400 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • kelvin

Like Norway then?

http://www.norway.org.uk/norwayandcountry/Current-Affairs/Norwegian-Politics/NORWAY-EU-AND-EEA/#.WG1FmOvfWrU

The European Economic Area (EEA) Agreement ensures that Norway can take part in the EU single market, and thus benefit from the free movement of persons, goods, services and capital. It guarantees non-discrimination and equal rules and competition throughout the EEA.

The Agreement does not cover the EU common agriculture and fisheries policies, the customs union, the common foreign and security policy, justice and home affairs or the monetary union.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Go Andrea 8)

Further confirmation we will be leaving THE single market as EU farming regulations will not apply. We’ll be free to ban pork from Poland and the other 5 nations currently in breach of EU animal husbandry rules.

I boycotting British meat for the same reasons Jamba, you’ve got an apallingly bad memory.
    Keeping up enough standards for you?
    What an absolute load of complete and utter twaddle. The sad fact is that there are some saddos that seem to hang on her every word.
    Yes, there probably is a single EU law that I don’t agree with. Will she support me on the many Tory laws that I disagree with? Or throw that out as a silly reason?
    Screw the education system up and feed the thickshits with shit, they’ll lap it up.

cchris2lou

can we expect a note from N10 tomorrow telling us that Andrea views are not the government ? 😆

slowster
    Free Member

So, the new ambassador is Sir Tim Barrow. I am not familiar with civil service hierachy, but he seems to be more senior than Sir Ivan Rogers, reflecting the greater importance now of this role.

Given his background in the FCO, including Private Secretary to the Foreign Secretary, he has probably been much closer to the heart of government than Rogers, and will have routinely seen and advised the Foreign Secretary on intelligence provided by MI6 and GCHQ. GCHQ has probably been told that finding out the negotiating positions and strengths/weaknesses of the other EU nations is a top priority, and that intelligence would need to be disclosed to whomever is in the role of ambassador and their new deputy. Sir Tim Barrow fits the profile of someone who would be trusted to receive that sort of intelligence.

There is no point in the UK Government wasting a lot of time and effort deciding precisely what form of Brexit it wants, only for it to become clear later that the rest of the EU would not agree to what we want. There are a whole range of different possibilities with different levels of access to the EU single market and with different pros and cons. It will be far easier to determine what the best possible deal is of those potentially available to the UK, if the UK already knows what the other nations’ various red lines and negotiating positions are.

Go Andrea

Further confirmation we will be leaving THE single market as EU farming regulations will not apply.

The idea that a gaffe prone junior Minister like Leadsom knows what the UK negotiating position will be is laughable.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Takes a special kind of stupid to present farmers losing the billboards as a positive thing…no farmer had to erect a billboard if they didn’t apply for the money (that will no longer be available)…

Northwind

Now correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m pretty sure the 3 crop rule was introduced as part of the CAP changes in 2013, which would mean that we (by which I mean, Owen Paterson, Conservative Minister for Agriculture) voted in favour of it- it was passed unanimously. TAKE BACK CONTROL AND STOP THINGS WE VOTED FOR!1!!

The billboard comment is almost as stupid, considering that the farmers with the billboards are receiving EU money. Hurrah for not having that billboard anymore, eh, that means we… no, wait a minute. Losing funding and taking down the billboards is a consequence, not a victory. It’s like celebrating no longer having to file your payslips, after losing your job.

But no, don’t tell me, farmers will get even more money, out of the £350m.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Takes a special kind of stupid to present farmers losing the billboards as a positive thing…no farmer had to erect a billboard if they didn’t apply for the money (that will no longer be available)…

Any money received was for something else, but don’t ask me what. #Fact #100%True #NotALieNeverNeverNever
    The whole debacle would make a great Python or Mr Bean movie. Sadly it’s real and happening, so not funny anymore.

kelvin

he has probably been much closer to the heart of government than Rogers

Rogers was the inside man for Chancellors and PMs, wasn’t he?

kimbers

Quoting loathsome now !

Must be getting desperate

I wonder if she lists her exhuastive knowledge of EU farming and trade legislation on her CV 😉

When you are having to rely on the ramblings of someone widely regarded as the stupidest person in the cabinet for insights into what kind of plan there is for is for Brexit you know you are in trouble

jambalaya
    Free Member

The idea that a gaffe prone junior Minister like Leadsom knows what the UK negotiating position will be is laughable.

All the Cabinet have been saying the same thing, you just have to follow the very simple steps from taking back control of our borders and the requirement to be free to negotiate our own trade deals that we will be leaving THE single market and the Customs Union. Everyone in the cabinet talks of “access to”. That’s very different than “membership of”. Our negotiating position simple is we are leaving both and offer tariff free access to our markets in return for tariff free access to theirs, budget payment = zero, no freedom of movement

torsoinalake
    Free Member

But we are going to make eleventy billion pounds from tariffs, so why would we want tariff free access?

cchris2lou

you must have different news channel in Paris .

Boris said freedom of movement was a possibility .

Davis said we would have to pay to access the single market .

And TM always says she will get the best deal for the Uk , whatever that means .

Be prepared to be disappointed .

molgrips
    Free Member

follow the very simple steps from taking back control of our borders and the requirement to be free to negotiate our own trade deals that we will be leaving THE single market and the Customs Union.

So what do all the businesses do that have built their business on being IN the single market?

They need to make arrangements BEFORE the plug is pulled, surely?

Nipper99
    Free Member

Presumably we won’t be sending any agricultural produce to Europe then.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

No need. Our farmers will be able to plant money trees, and keep geese that lay golden eggs.

And not a billboard in sight

kimbers

Fox was talking about how we can still be part of the customs union just before Xmas

slowster
    Free Member

he has probably been much closer to the heart of government than Rogers

Rogers was the inside man for Chancellors and PMs, wasn’t he? [/quote]

You’re right, according to wikipedia he was Blair’s PPS and was Kenneth Clarke’s Private Secretary at the Treasury. As I said I am not familiar with the civil service hierachy, but Rogers has moved around a lot, including working for Citigroup and Barclays, whereas Barrow has always been in the FO and seems to be more in the traditional mould of an establishment mandarin/insider. Regardless of background, Theresa May will want someone in that position in whom she can have complete trust.

kelvin

If the plan is anything like that you suggest Jamba, there would be no reason to not say, now, that leaving, completely, both the single market and the customs union, is what the government wants.

Truth is, the government must be sounding at all the options, not just your personal preferences.

Nipper, the minister in question said today that farming exports will be reduced when we leave the EU, so, yes, the farming community is being warmed up ready for falling exports.

zokes
    Free Member

Quoting loathsome now !

Must be getting desperate

I wonder if she lists her exhuastive knowledge of EU farming and trade legislation on her CV

Back of a postage stamp would be more appropriate. It probably requires about as much space as Jamby’s knowledge of foreign trade.

kimbers

How long before the next senior civil servant quits in dismay at the handling of brexishambles?

I give it 2 weeks, before someone dares to suggest is going to be impossible to appease the fantasists and is attacked in the press into they bow out.

Maybe it will be as successful as that inquiry into child abuse Theresa set up while at the home office 😉

kimbers

Farage trying to stick the boot in immediately

Good to see that the government have replaced a knighted career diplomat with…. a knighted career diplomat

br
    Free Member

Since OUR Govt has been incapable of implementing systems that manage the EU payments for the last few years, how are they going to ensure that the farmers continue to receive the same money?

FWIW Scotland spent upwards of £200m and England&Wales a bit more, for systems that haven’t worked.

chewkw
    Free Member

Woohooo … drain the swamp!

Clearing out the deadwood remainder EU ambassador. 😆

Pigface
    Free Member

probably requires about as much space as Jamby’s knowledge of foreign trade.

And farming

molgrips
    Free Member

Did we do this one

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/brexit-negotiations-government-eu-minister-ivan-rogers-boris-johnson-david-davis-foreign-office-a7508796.html?cmpid=facebook-post

Even IF it were possible to negotiate a successful brexit, doesn’t look like we are capable of doing it anyway.

Do Jam and Ninfan acknowledge that it is NOt a given that we have the skills to do this?

kerley
    Free Member

probably requires about as much space as Jamby’s knowledge of foreign trade.

And farming

and the ambassador role

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Even IF it were possible to negotiate a successful brexit, doesn’t look like we are capable of doing it anyway.

It’s simple though, UK asks for everything, once the room stops laughing the eu puts their proposal, we argue they start cutting things borris shouts prosseco BMW brie and gets excused then we take the deal.

Thm there is always choice, flat out into a negotiation you’re badly prepared for is idiotic, the UK controls the timescale you have to weigh up uncertainty vs screw up.
    There is the other option where TM puts a bill forward, loses the vote and calls a GE – don’t think you can rule that out.

Junkyard
    Free Member

All the Cabinet have been saying the same thing

i would have thought the one thing we would all agree on is that the three brexiteer ministers never mind the cabinet are not speaking with one voice

Cougar

If the UK government decides it’s in our interests

Hang on, when did the government deciding what’s in our best interests come into it? I thought that was irrelevant because The People Have Spoken?

Brexit means Brexit remember. Worrying about what’s best for us seems a bit eleventh hour now.

you just have to follow the very simple steps from taking back control of our borders

I covered this a couple of pages back and was roundly ignored. In what way do we not have control of our borders already?

(Still waiting for you to explain how you’re adversely affected by eu legislation also, btw. Did you forget?)

Nipper99
    Free Member

FWIW Scotland spent upwards of £200m and England&Wales a bit more, for systems that haven’t worked.

CAP is devolved in Wales and generally works ok here.

zokes
    Free Member

(Still waiting for you to explain how you’re adversely affected by eu legislation also, btw. Did you forget?)

If the question is even slightly harder than “what’s your name” he generally ignores it

mrmo
    Free Member

Farmers are laughing

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/euro-exchange-rate-set-for-2016-basic-payment-scheme-payments

Brexit means more money!

and who would deny the grouse moors there on going subsidies….

jambalaya
    Free Member

May will make a speech confirming what everyone who’s been paying attention knows full well.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/04/theresa-may-set-brexit-vision-warn-uk-will-quit-single-market/

cloudnine
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dsCJ1fe2Hg[/video]

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The Prime Minister will outline her “vision for Britain outside of the EU” in a major speech later this month that will focus on the economy and immigration.

Yes sure she will, it will be full of spot on lines for the Mail, Express, Times and Telegraph. It will be scant on details and commitment it will probably contradict what the others have been claiming so far and upset more than it pleases.
    Then comes the actual important part of Davies and his plan followed by a parliamentary vote.
    After all of that it’s really up to 27 other nations to tell the UK whats on offer.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

May will make a speech confirming what everyone who’s been paying attention knows full well.

Is this a change from “we’ll see and hopefully it’ll be better” to ” I knew this was the plan all along”?
    Or is James May about to say something profound about the Grand Tour?

zokes
    Free Member

The only absence of any attention I can see on the topic is Brexmorons attitude to some cold hard facts. Sadly for the most part that now seems to include our PM.

chewkw
    Free Member

Give it another two weeks then see how EU will response with their swamp being drained … yep they will be drained coz those EU bureaucrats are all low energy … 😆

PM May should just relax, sit comfortably and continue with what she does best coz majority of the people will support her. No need to be rushed by those remainders coz they will get what coming their ways. It’s all about timing. 😈

cloudnine
    Free Member

those remainders coz they will get what coming their ways.

Will we be branded? Shot?
    Whats coming my way?

Viewing 40 posts - 19,361 through 19,400 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.