Viewing 40 posts - 10,161 through 10,200 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Jambas, the table is harly complicated, it just doesn’t support your view.

cchris2lou

And Sarkozy is not even ahead in the polls within his own party. Juppe is the current favourite to win the Droite nomination for the presidential election.

kimbers

Great list of Brexits many unanswered questions here
    And the defeating silence (or ignorance) from brexiteers tells you what you need to know

http://jackofkent.com/2016/09/the-many-hurdles-of-brexit-a-short-summary-post/

igm

More dodgy stuff this morning relating to May in the run up to the referendum – apparently she’d been trying to manipulate immigration figures to make the UK look like it was getting a worse deal out of immigration than it actually was.

Is it me or are people getting the knives out for her?

Problems is, who is there who isn’t worse?

5thElefant
    Free Member

UKIP enthusiast sister-in-law is visiting 😯

She’s never once mentioned politics in the 25 years I’ve known her. It’s like a switch as been flicked and she’s turned into a non-stop propaganda machine. Makes this thread look like reasonable adults having a jovial chat.

kimbers

UKIP enthusiast sister-in-law is visiting

Yup my sis-in-law has definitely felt emboldened to spout a load of racist and xenophobic nonsense since the referendum.
    If it wasn’t for my brother and the fact that our kids are good friends she’d be right of my Xmas card list

kimbers

Here’s that list of legal hurdles

Hurdle One: Which domestic legal form? Act of Parliament or exercise of the Royal Prerogative (or something else?)

Hurdle Two: What if the Scottish government is resolute in its opposition to Brexit?

Hurdle Three: What if the Northern Ireland government is resolute in its opposition to Brexit?

Hurdle Four: How is the border with the Republic of Ireland dealt with? What impact will there be (if any) on the Good Friday Agreement?

Hurdle Five: What if Gibraltar is resolute in its opposition to Brexit?

Hurdle Six: What if the government is defeated in the House of Commons on Brexit?

Hurdle Seven: What if the government is defeated in the House of Lords on Brexit?

Hurdle Eight: How is any Brexit to be reconciled with the 2015 Conservative manifesto pledge that the UK’s position in the Single Market will be “safeguarded”? How will that pledge affect the passage of Brexit legislation under the Salisbury Convention (that only legislation which fulfill manifesto pledges will not be subject to Lords’ delay)?

Hurdle Nine: How is any exit agreement with the EU to be completed in less than two years? Or will there have to be an agreement to extend time?

Hurdle Ten: How quickly can the UK and EU commence agreement on a trade (and/or framework) agreement to follow the exit agreement? Is such an agreement needed?

Hurdle Eleven: On what basis is the UK to have access to the Single Market?

Hurdle Twelve: Is the UK to continue as part of a Tariff/Customs Union with the EU or will it be able to negotiate its own tariff/customs agreements?

Hurdle Thirteen: To what extent (if any) will the UK accept the principle of freedom of movement in any arrangement with the EU?

Hurdle Fourteen: Will there be any special protection for the City of London?

Hurdle Fifteen: How quickly will the UK be able to sort out its position at the World Trade Organization? Will any current WTO members seek to frustrate or block the UK in this respect?

Hurdle Sixteen: To what extent will areas of substantial law need to be revisited? Would a simple savings provision suffice?

Hurdle Seventeen: To what extent will the law relating to various areas of practice – in respect of mutual recognition regimes and exchanges of information with other member states – need to be revisited?

Hurdle Eighteen: How can the UK civil service achieve Brexit (on top of its ‘normal’ workload) in a period of austerity and reduced budgets – and when it is one-fifth smaller than in 2010?

Hurdle Nineteen: What will be the legal position of rights already acquired (or which may be acquired) by people and companies under EU law once Brexit takes place? Will they be enforceable? Will there be compensation for the loss

somafunk

Kimbers : I’ve been following David Green/Jackofkent since the brexit vote, I’ve often thought about posting up his thoughts on the matter but i can’t be arsed arguing with idiots.

GrahamS

Graham – thats an interesting table, quite complicated.

It is. Can you explain how it supports your notion that “European lamb protected by 40% tariif” is a bad thing?

Given that in 2015, 94.4% of our mutton & lamb exports were to the EU (41,634 of 44,068 tonnes) doesn’t that mean that the protection from that tariff actually benefits us a huge amount?

I see (I think) we export 40,000 tonnes and import 62,000 tonnes. So we are a net importer, so not self sufficient so a Brexit opportunity to become so.

44,068 versus 64,037 tonnes for the last full year, but yes.

Note that 90.1% of that import (57,706 of 64,037 tonnes) was from New Zealand and Australia, because as welshfarmer pointed out, “it is a seasonal product so the southern hemisphere producers make up the shortfall when the UK producers have nothing to sell.”

So how does your “Brexit opportunity” work here? I don’t remember anything in the vote about artificially altering the seasons or moving the UK to the Southern Hemisphere.

cchris2lou

300 staff at the ministry of Brexit should sort this out in no time…..

jambalaya
    Free Member

Jambas, the table is harly complicated, it just doesn’t support your view.

So feel free to explain how a headline figure of 64,000 tomnes of imports vs 44,000 toms of exports shows we don’t have a lamb and mutton trade deficit ? We could switch all our exports into domestic markets.

@mike I get the point that business may have to adjust but it’s clear the domestic market can support all our prodiction. Also it’s clear we import large amounts of lamb and mutton despite high tariffs thus showing “free trade” isn’t all it’s cracked up to be.

GrahamS

We could switch all our exports into domestic markets.

Using winter lambs?

Northwind

igm – Member

More dodgy stuff this morning relating to May in the run up to the referendum – apparently she’d been trying to manipulate immigration figures to make the UK look like it was getting a worse deal out of immigration than it actually was.

She was called out for the benefit tourist bullshit at the time but of course she and Cameron just brazened it out. When asked for evidence they admitted there was none and more or less said “it’s just obvious innit”

kimbers

Also it’s clear we import large amounts of lamb and mutton despite high tariffs thus showing “free trade” isn’t all it’s cracked up to be.

which is why lamb costs twice the price of beef, 4 times more than pork and 6 times more than chicken
    let them eat cake eh!

Perhaps jambalaya is banking on global warming altering our climate so that sheep can give birth all year round

AdamW
    Free Member

@Jamba – look at the line under the one you mentioned. You know, the one mentioning “from EU” and “to EU”. That’s the “EU” related bit. You can tell because it has the letters “EU” next to it:

From EU (bit hazy): 5615
    To EU: 41634

You may realise that 41634 (export to EU) is somewhat larger than 5615 (from EU).

The rest of the imports are from elsewhere.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

We could switch all our exports into domestic markets.

El-bent
    Free Member

No one going to comment that the peoples rights group have won their challenge in court to force the Government into publishing its reasons against Parliament having a say over Article 50?

I’ll leave this gem here(one of many) from the document.

GrahamS

Does Google Translate do Legalese? 😕

molgrips
    Free Member

Wait a minute.

It’s a difficult decision requiring lots of expertise, and yet on that decision we’re listening to the general public who know almost nothing about the EU?

ninfan
    Free Member

The rest of the imports are from elsewhere.

Which only proves that you can still successfully trade sheep meat from outside the EU into the EU despite trade tariffs

kimbers

No one going to comment that the peoples rights group have won their challenge in court to force the Government into publishing its reasons against Parliament having a say over Article 50?

Ill bet theres some worried faces at the ministry of brexit as they figure out how their going to publish some gibberish that david davies has on post it notes about………. ‘taking back control’ and ‘that’ll piss off merkel :-)’

br
    Free Member

I’m waiting for the headlines when folk find out that we’ll have to still adopt EU regulations (that we’ve already agreed to) between now and our leaving (whenever that may be).

Such as GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) in May 2018, but I’m sure there are many others.

And tbh it’ll apply to anyone that wants to save/process data of anyone who is an EU citizen after that date anyway, just to wind up the Mail/Express etc.

kimbers

I’m waiting for the headlines when folk find out that we’ll have to still adopt EU regulations

tbh so many brexiters and the press seem so divorced from reality that theyll just lie and say were not following these regulations, that never really affected them anyway!

GrahamS

And of course all the EU regulations that we’ll still have to meet when exporting goods to the EU (but will no longer get to vote on).

#fakecontrol

codybrennan
    Free Member

Did we mention that Boris is now fully committed to Turkey joining the EU, despite….

well, never mind, despite everything basically:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/boris-johnson-backs-turkeys-eu-bid-after-vote-leave-warned-of-its-impending-membership_uk_57ea6bb0e4b00e5804ef4f29?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Boris is hosting a party for 70m of them at his pad in the cotswolds!

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Graham got it on fhe seasonality, that makes sense. I’d like to see the import / export stats on a monthly basis. As I understand it lamb is anything up to 18 months old so there is some flex to salughter all year round. If the Spanish want access to our fishing waters I am certain the EU will see sense to come to a sensibke agreement.

@kimbers perfect example to show we should never have gotten into this mess (Maastricht and Lisbon) without further Referendums, EU membership should have been sold as a one-way street rather than as it actually was in 1975 which was a purely Economic / business community. It is now compulsory in Holland for there to be a Referendum for any Treaty or Treaty change, should have always been the case in the UK

Nothing on that list can’t be dealth with, imo most of it is pretty straightforward

kimbers

Nothing on that list can’t be dealth with, imo most of it is pretty straightforward

😯

phiiiiil

Well, if we’ve got rid of ~20% of civil servants over the last few years, it must have been because they had nothing to do, so the remaining ones will have oodles of free time to sort this all out, right?

GrahamS

As I understand it lamb is anything up to 18 months old so there is some flex to salughter all year round.

I’m going to assume, based on their username, that welshfarmer knows better than you or I on this one 😀 but a quick google suggests that “lamb” generally refers to less than a year old and lacking incisor teeth. “And spring lamb” is less than 3 months old (which incidentally is why I don’t eat lamb!)

If there was scope to slaughter all year round, or to keep the meat frozen all year round, at a price that was cheaper than importing it from New Zealand (with that import tariff) then wouldn’t we be doing that already?

How would removing that tariff, thus presumably making New Zealand lamb cheaper to us, benefit our sheep farmers?

torsoinalake
    Free Member

I’m sure British consumers will be ditching their chops and falling over themselves to get at all those delicacies we have been exporting to the EU in a show of support for UK farmers.

Smalahove anyone?

No? Cervelle d’Agneau then?

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Go on then, if it’s that straight forward tell us how each of those items on that list are going to be overcome….

molgrips
    Free Member

It is now compulsory in Holland for there to be a Referendum for any Treaty or Treaty change, should have always been the case in the UK

Cos the electorate are the experts on EU treaties, of course.

GrahamS

Barf! I’ll take my offal as God intended thank you very much

igm

Banned in the USA that is Grahams.

(All the more for me)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

As I understand it lamb is anything up to 18 months old so there is some flex to salughter all year round. If the Spanish want access to our fishing waters I am certain the EU will see sense to come to a sensibke agreement.

You are Jon snow and I claim my five euros…
    If you can control the weather and grow stuff to feed them at different times then maybe you could change the seasonal availability.

br
    Free Member

Just seen a story in the Independent that reckons it’ll take another £65m and 500 extra staff to sort out Brexit.

Based upon my experiences of working in the public sector including central govt (and +30 years of working) I’d stick a zero on the back of each of those numbers, at a minimum.

For example; between the UK and Scottish govts they’ve spent over £300m in the last few years trying to create systems/processes just to pay the farmers their UK/Scottish and EU payments – and still not succeeded.

gordimhor

Interesting Jamba you think Spain will compromise with the UK during Brexit negotiations to get access to fishing grounds. Yet your position was that no Spanish government would allow an independent Scotland to be part of the EU as this would encourage Catalan nationalists, this would have deprived Spain of access to the most desirable part of the same fishing grounds they so dearly want access to now

duckman
    Free Member

Remind me why they currently have a larger quota than Scottish boats anyway?

Viewing 40 posts - 10,161 through 10,200 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.