Viewing 40 posts - 8,961 through 9,000 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • oldnpastit

but the point is that the UK people can now say ‘enough of this’ and vote them out. As it stands even if they voted a Corbynesque labour in, he can’t renationalise the railways, for example, as it is against the EUs goals.

Sounds like a good argument for Scottish independence.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Look at the people involved FFS! You expected better from them? You didn’t see it coming? Seriously?

I have. No. Yes. Seriously.

The only surprise was the fact that they got away with it. Surprise and disappointment as it exposed a side to our society that I thought had been largely eradicated. I was wrong, badly wrong.

TMH appreciate the sentiment but let’s just let it go, its more a sign to step back and let people get on with agreeing with each other.

Still waiting for answers (along with Godot) and your arguments were flawed – but you won!! Ends and means, ends and means 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Perhaps we could have some sort of’vote’ whereby we decide which side is in the majority?

Think that one was just about a draw…
    And what those parts are is opinion which in many cases has no relation to fact.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

If the UK is being flooded by immigrants then why has unemployment been falling steadily?

dont forget wages recovering. Ironically, most strongly since the admission of Romania and Bulgaria – not that there is a causal link in either direction 😉

ninfan
    Free Member

Sounds like a good argument for Scottish independence.

We offered them that, remember? Interestingly they decided against it. Maybe they were feart of the consequences of independence?

Unlike the brave English and Welsh 😀

nickc

but you don’t get to be SIO of Invesco Perpetual by being either dull or stupid.

I don’t really care that she was high up in Banking TBH, Having seen and heard bankers over the last few years, none have massively impressed me with their stunning intellect.

I asked a potential MP about AV and she literally didn’t have a clue what I was taking about, had no views on the recent referendum that had taken place, and didn’t seem to appreciate that she may well be in a coalition govt. For a prospective MP not to understand her wider environment hints at the way her brain works. (ie not very well) when I said dull, I meant not sharp…not boring…

ninfan
    Free Member

Think that one was just about a draw…

But it turns out it wasn’t, was it? 😆

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

If the UK is being flooded by immigrants then why has unemployment been falling steadily?

tenuous linkage there/

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So there is no link between immigration and employment levels? How strange people have been banging on like there was, like importing people was keeping people out of work? If you could explain the maths of an increasing population and falling unemployment can’t be linked.

oldnpastit

That chart doesn’t seem to have been updated since 2009. Most likely the correlation no longer holds.

perchypanther
    Free Member

That chart doesn’t seem to have been updated since 2009. Most likely the correlation no longer holds.

Heavy winter snowfall in 2010 increased the popularity of duvets. Double whammy!

footflaps

Frankly I’m amazed anyone died from becoming tangled in their bedsheets!

binners

And it would be wrong to speculate on which way they would have voted in the referendum, should they have lived

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

So there is no link between immigration and employment levels?

because of regional factors, employment sectors, etc, things are not as simple as you want to make out.

The point is that the government will have a lot more control over how it wants to manage the country – if it wants to effectively carry on with high levels of immigration then it can, if it decides it only needs baristas for Costa and Starbucks, then it can also do that by only issueing appropriate visas, etc.

If it decides it wants to let capitilisaton and globalisation run riot and lay waste to areas of the country and the workers there, then it can.

If the people of the UK decide that they don’t like living in that sort of society, perhaps they want to move to a high taxation environment like Sweden, then they can vote out that government and install one that has the power to change things without being hampered by the EUs vision of how things should work.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If the people of the UK decide that they don’t like living in that sort of society, perhaps they want to move to a high taxation environment like Sweden, then they can vote out that government and install one that has the power to change things without being hampered by the EUs vision of how things should work.

I can’t really think of much the UK tried to do that the eu stopped, any ideas? Lots of things that could be done to improve the lot of people but they chose not to rather than being stopped.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I don’t really care that she was high up in Banking TBH, Having seen and heard bankers over the last few years, none have massively impressed me with their stunning intellect.

Perhaps you should widen your sample. I met many bankers with very high intellectual and commercial/financial skills including those who have advised and supported my business. I wouldn’t have chosen them otherwise

I asked a potential MP about AV and she literally didn’t have a clue what I was taking about, had no views on the recent referendum that had taken place, and didn’t seem to appreciate that she may well be in a coalition govt. For a prospective MP not to understand her wider environment hints at the way her brain works. (ie not very well) when I said dull, I meant not sharp…not boring…

I agree that her experience and knowledge in some areas does appear to rule her out of the job. But we are now in the world of #posttruthpolitics and not understanding or at least pretending not to understand basic macro and monetary economics, for example, didn’t hold Salmon back. Indeed his bllx on £ seemed to enhance his standing among the great unwashed.

Northwind

TurnerGuy – Member

As it stands even if they voted a Corbynesque labour in, he can’t renationalise the railways, for example, as it is against the EUs goals.

You mean like when the east coast line was renationalised in 2009? (then quickly reprivatised because it was doing too well)

hot_fiat

NW – there was nothing quick about it. Ran until last year as a very profitable government backed ltd company. Outside of SeaContainer’s ownership it was the happiest I’d seen the staff.

perchypanther
    Free Member

pretending not to understand basic macro and monetary economics, for example, didn’t hold Salmon back

Nothin can hold Salmon back.

The instinct to return to the ancestral breeding grounds is irresistible.

Waterfalls, bears or economics are no barrier to the mighty Salmon.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Perhaps you should widen your sample. I met many bankers with very high intellectual and commercial/financial skills including those who have advised and supported my business

Totally dropped the teaching claim and A * for all your economic students at A level then?

Please say you do still dine with MPs as surely not everything was you just telling porkies you trolling?

molgrips
    Free Member

if it decides it only needs baristas for Costa and Starbucks, then it can also do that by only issueing appropriate visas, etc.

Do you think it likely that people will want to apply for visas, pay, wait and so on to do jobs like that?

If the people of the UK decide that they don’t like living in that sort of society, perhaps they want to move to a high taxation environment like Sweden

Well WE COULD UNTIL THE LEAVERS STOPPED US! FFS!

nickc

My sample of bankers is probably wider than you’d imagine TBH. but that’s not really relevant.

I tend to agree, “post-politics” seems to be a world where people involved in politics don’t seem to understand the wider philosophy of politics beyond the narrow scope of their chosen Parliamentary Party’s “current manifesto” There doesn’t seem to be an appreciation that “the others” may have an equally valid POV…You end up with the shit storm we currently find ourselves in.

Junkyard
    Free Member

, perhaps they want to move to a high taxation environment like Sweden, then they can vote out that government and install one that has the power to change things without being hampered by the EUs vision of how things should work.

Sweden is in the EU.

ninfan
    Free Member

WE COULD UNTIL THE LEAVERS STOPPED US! FFS!

Strange use of past tense there – I think what you meant to say was

“well, theres a possibility that we might not be able to in the future, but nobody really knows as the outcome of future negotiations over our relationship with the EU remains unpredictable! FFS!”

igm

Or even if we’re actually going to leave, eh Ninfan?

molgrips
    Free Member

Strange use of past tense there

Yes, it was a hypothetical 2 years in the future post. But I find it tragically ironic that anti-immigration people and leavers suggest we move to a different EU country… 🙄

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Sweden is in the EU.

That was a test to see if anyone was paying attention…

They are for now, but who knows…

Swedes tell Britain: if you leave the EU, we’ll follow

mt
    Free Member

@TurnerGuy thank you for posting those utube vids.

MSP

Some Swedes when polled, tell Britain: if you leave the EU, we’ll follow think about doing the same

FTFY

molgrips
    Free Member

Reformers in Sweden are aghast at the prospect of Brexit, seeing Britain as their main ally in trying to fight off protectionism

Wait.. is the EU protectionist or anti-protectionist?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Wait.. is the EU protectionist or anti-protectionist?

Schrodinger has a lot to answer for….

molgrips
    Free Member

And he was from an EU country.

molgrips
    Free Member
    TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Wales regrets…?

you’d probably get the same thing in England.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

No a big surprise that the southern hick countries that **** themselves over due to their own ineptitude like Italy and Greece hate the EU. Austria is no surprise, my Spanish friends wake up in Linz half expecting a Nazi banner to be draped from the balcony of the Altes Rathaus.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Wales regrets?

90% of respondents thought the question was about remaining in Euro 2016 not the European Union.

molgrips
    Free Member

I honestly wonder if people seeing Europeans being nice to them at the Euros has had a small effect?

binners

Wales regrets…?

It may well do, but at least they’ve got a decent football team. What have we got? eh? WHAT?!!!!

slowoldman

Are you casting doubt on statistics on the Internet?

And he was from an EU country.

Not at the time Shirley?

Viewing 40 posts - 8,961 through 9,000 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.