Viewing 40 posts - 72,361 through 72,400 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • dissonance

Maybe he got them to behave like spoilt brats shouting away.
    Really is a tad depressing watching it.
    Especially with all the tories announcing about how the people should have the say but dont extend that to the brexit vote.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

I don’t think so, Johnson looks pissed and powerless.

somafunk

Bercow has called “division” on the bill for a general election, quite a lively debate tnight

grumpygit
    Free Member

On a lighter note, is it just me or does it look like Boris is thinning a bit on top??

vazaha

On an even lighter note, do you think he’s changed from his school days..?

vazaha

wtf?

vazaha

It’s so broken it’s not even properly broken, it’s more like it’s pre-broken.

It’s like, this is how things didn’t work in the past.

But now, and worse.

FuzzyWuzzy

I wish the BBC presenters/analysts/mouth-pieces would stop spending so much time outside the Houses of Parliament where it’s just one big distraction with the fog-horn sounding muppets shouting something indecipherable in the background. FFS you don’t need to be there for us to realise you’re talking about political stuff…

kelvin

They are building an inside space (shared by all major broadcasters) to use, so it won’t happen for much longer.

Anyway, something sensible happened yesterday…

olddog

LibDems going full revokw A50 as GE policy. Clearly they are free to pursue any policy they like but this is more likely to take votes from Lab rather than Tories – so from a purely selfish remain/kick out the Tories perspective may be counter productive. Certainly kills ideas of electoral pacts between Lab and LibDem

batfink
    Free Member

^ I agree with you from a tactical perspective…. but it’s nice for 48% of the country to have somebody to vote for 🙂

edit: and obviously any of the 52% who have since changed their minds

Sandwich

edit: and obviously any of the 52% who have since changed their minds

Plus those that didn’t bother at referendum time.

MSP

but this is more likely to take votes from Lab rather than Tories

I am not so sure, while the while the blue rinse little englander fake patriotism brigade might be currently in charge of the torry party, there are others who are pro business who can see the damage brexit is causing and will switch allegiance to stop the damage. There is a lot of votes in stopping pandering to the rhetoric of the brexit loons.

olddog

I hope so MSP. It does also provide a clear identity for LDs away from Labour especially as this will be the main positive policy selling point for LDs as opposed to just not being Boris or Corbyn

kelvin

Plus those that didn’t bother at referendum time.

Plus all voters born this century.

zippykona

Rory Stewart previously said that he would set up Parliament across the road .

Any news on that?

olddog

… but LDs not going to get a majority or be biggest party in a minority Govt…

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Whilst I doubt Johnson would want to be the one responsible for the destruction of the union or the tory party as it would look a bit shit in the history books

You give him the credit of wanting to look “good” in the history books.

But I think he just wants to be in them full stop and if it means being the man who broke the tory party or indeed britain he will not care. He wants to be writ as large as he can possibly be.

He loves the classics right? I bet he sees himself as Achilles…. should he lead an uneventful but long life or go down in history and die young….. that’s all very well but it might not just be him dying young aye??

Edukator
    Free Member

Parliament suspended eh. A country in crisis and the most newsworthy announcement we can expect is thirteen speed!:

Eurobike Tech Randoms Including a budget 1 x 13 drivetrain!

colp

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/10/duty-free-purchases-of-cigarettes-and-alcohol-to-return-under-no-deal-brexit

Crikey, being a northerner I might just change my mind about wanting to remain now that I can nab a load of duty free on my way back from Toremolinos.

Cougar

Unsurprising, they’ll probably need an incentive to get people to visit airports when there’s no planes.

taxi25
    Free Member

there are others who are pro business who can see the damage brexit is causing and will switch allegiance to stop the damage. 

They’ll have my vote. My view has changed from a remain voter believing the referendum should be honoured, to believeing no sensible leave deal can ever be found and agreed by parliament. It’s time to bite the bullet and dump brexit altogether. Hopefully most Brexit voters will get their heads around it at some point.

DrJ

Rory Stewart previously said that he would set up Parliament across the road .

Any news on that?

Same as Boris lying in front of bulldozers – talk for media coverage, no actual principles involved.

slowoldman

I have a bit of a problem with that latest LD proposal. It sounds like it could become Jo Swinson’s student fees promise – and I say that as a LD supporter who wants A50 revoked.

olddog

I still think tactical voting is the way to go. LDs will never be big enough to get a revoke A50 majority in Parly.

I still see the only way to remain through a 2nd ref and the only way to do that is too win enough seats off the Tories across Lab, LD, SNP etc.

There was a lot of talk yesterday of Johnson going for a majority based on 1/3 share of vote with votes spread across other parties. This is a real concern to me from a remain/kick out the Tories perspective

On a side point it would be much more useful to see the breakdown of likely seats in Parly based on polling rather than just precentage split of national vote, that really makes Brexit and LDs look stronger than they are.

kelvin

Any news on that?

Back in July, Parliament forced the government to allow the house to sit in September. Then, with the announcement that it would only sit for a few weeks, parliament rushed through the emergency measures they felt were needed.

kelvin

I still see the only way to remain through a 2nd ref and the only way to do that is too win enough seats off the Tories across Lab, LD, SNP etc.

Agree entirely. But we could “take back control” by revoking A50, rather than begging the EU for more time, and then holding a referendum without the clock ticking down, and after the rules for referendum campaigns are updated to reflect modern techniques.

batfink
    Free Member

I still think tactical voting is the way to go

100% agree….. I think my point was more that it’s comforting, in a representative democracy, to have the view of 48%+ of the population represented by one of the “major” parties

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Personally I’m loving the “but private messages are private!” protestations from the people that brought you this:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/facebook-encryption-messenger-whatsapp-apps-priti-patel-five-eyes-a9028371.html

kerley
    Free Member

to have the view of 48%+ of the population represented by one of the “major” parties

The view of the population on one thing. I still wouldn’t vote Lib Dem though, especially not with Swinson as leader, as there are more important things than Brexit.

Cougar

Such as?

kelvin

Three years… nothing has really changed…

…I have no idea why millions of people are still so happy to follow people like this, and support their agenda.

Unless it all does just boil down to a rather self centred damaging form of English nationalism. Is it really that simple?

Klunk
    Free Member

I have no idea why millions of people are still so happy to follow people like this, and support their agenda.

they are an “I’m alright jack party” for “an I’m alright country” (well the 33% of it that they need)

slowoldman

I still think tactical voting is the way to go. LDs will never be big enough to get a revoke A50 majority in Parly.

Yes I agree. If Labour were more likely to win in my constituency than LD I would put aside my current allegiance and vote for them to get the Tories out. Luckily I don’t have to choose, we have had LD a close second place since losing out to Tory following the coalition debacle. I reckon we can get that seat back.

BoardinBob

I have no idea why millions of people are still so happy to follow people like this, and support their agenda

It’s basically a brainwashed cult now.

People who have literally no idea what it actually means, are relentlessly banging on about leaving immediately on WTO rules. They have zero understanding of what that involves, but they’re chanting it like a cult.

kimbers

I may have to vote labour too, our Tory MPs seat swung from safe to marginal last time

Labour candidate is quite good, but will have to see

kelvin

Our Labour candidate is awful, but I will be voting for him again. If you’re in a two way marginal of any kind, vote for whoever will keep a Conservative Brexit candidate out of parliament.

martinhutch

Sadly, the only way that my Tory MP (pictured in the Sun clipping above) is vulnerable is if he resigns and faces the wrath of both the Brexiteers for his disloyalty, and the rest of us just because he’s a Tory.

ddraiggoch
    Free Member

LDs will never be big enough to get a revoke A50 majority in Parly.

Sure, but with the SNP, who I suspect could well move to straight revoke A50 themselves to fend of the LDs, that’s possibly about 100 seats in a new parliament, and its highly likely Labour would need one or both of them to govern.

Possibly the Tories would need them too, but as mentioned above, there are a fair number of one nation Tories who’d rather hold their nose and vote LD if it keeps us in the EU, and especially if it sinks the ERG nutters.

Bottom line is it’s like a QI question: nobody knows how this would resolve itself at the ballot box, particularly given the FPTP voting system.

Viewing 40 posts - 72,361 through 72,400 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.