Viewing 40 posts - 63,881 through 63,920 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

And Ken Clark/Letwin 1-2 there to show Braclay has no intention of putting all options to parliament – they are very keep to be free from obligation.

We would certainly do what you want so long as you don’t force us to, in which case we will not agree to it…..

Why will he not accept the amendment.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So anyone else watching? Or has Brexit fatigue and a searching of the royal records during key votes taking over?

Labour obviously keen on it’s amendment. Letwin one up now a lot must have been watching the game from the bar

kelvin

Only the one government minister resigning to support the Letwin amendment? Needed more than that, no?

Official opposition motion was gesture politics. My disappointment steadily turning to rage to be honest.

leffeboy

So anyone else watching?

absolutely.  Loving the passion of many of the speeches, especially Soubry

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The wriggling of Barclay is what has annoyed me the most, don’t know if resigning before or being sacked is better at the moment for ministers – why resign when she could be gone tomorrow? Some may have mortgage commitments and a new bike to pay for 😉

mattyfez

Labour obviously keen on it’s amendment.

Labour have dropped thier amendment, it’s all in the indicative vote amendment now.

Car crash in 3… 2…

kelvin

The world keeps turning… it’s just getting on without us…

Airbus wins huge China deal

Still… EU stops us trading with the rest of the world…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep amtty, keep forgetting the sarcastic 😉 of course they would it didn’t mean anything and meant JC could propose stuff.

Twitter rumours have letwin winning

mikewsmith
    Free Member

329-302

Win for Letwin, business taken from the government if they follow this through

kelvin

Makes Wednesday possibly useful now. So many wasted days since November.

mattyfez

Are the adults in charge yet? Lol

mikewsmith
    Free Member

This one is also massive as it’s a never run the clock down amendment

theotherjonv

If those rumours are correct, it includes one close ally of the (soon to be ex?) PM

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Richard Harrington, the business minister, Alistair Burt, a minister in the foreign office, and health minister Steve Brine resigned their posts to rebel against the government and vote for the Letwin plan.

From Buzzfeed who I assume had somebody watching the lobby

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The 15 new rebels are:

Brine
    Burt
    Collins
    Costa
    Green
    Harrington
    Jo Johnson
    Lefroy
    Masterton
    Mitchell
    Morgan
    Neill
    Newton
    Pawsey
    Spelman

Letwin Rebels

Shame that the last one was defeated

kelvin

Apparently 3 ministers gone

Good. More people need to step down and say what needs saying. Shadows as well. Eventually whips may have to be dropped so that all MPs can act in what they think is in the interest of people outside politics.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Government in toys/pram separation study – this is going to have to go to a full no confidence I feel which puts Peoples Vote as the tie breaker

slowoldman

I suppose at this point the government votes down its own motion?

kelvin

Tries to.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

that was always the plan if it went wrong #KillSwitch

theotherjonv

what is the main motion that the Letwin amendment pertains to / is there a chance that could be defeated (which then defeats the Letwin amendment too, as it’s only part of the whole?)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s a neutral motion as far as I know – just there to be amended.

I’m also liking the raw BBC Parliament feed – no Andrew Neil

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

That Letwin amendment passed by around 52:48 in Round figures. 😀

theotherjonv

strong and stable

mikewsmith
    Free Member

ORDER!!! Coming soon

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Carried by 27, well done JC for turning up now to talk about busses

kelvin

Shouty mob.

kelvin

Shouty mob of snowflakes.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

The super-knobs from the ERG that were invited to Chequers to have smoke blown up their arses are referring to themselves jolly-japingly as the “Grand Wizards.”

But it’s all just informal and a bit of a giggle.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well Speaker will be waiting for the Opp to get his uplift to the Lords 🙂

theotherjonv

Point of Order

I’m unclear now whether the member for Chelsea was or wasn’t a good whip

I’m pretty clear however that the current crop can’t be any good as they had 30 voting against it.

ORRRDDDEEERRRR!!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

warnings

kimbers

The governments response is simply deluded, calling for realism????

May has mishandled this pretty much from the start, MPs have tried to take control, because May & the cabinet have no freaking clue how to make it work.

They are morons

ransos
    Free Member

Carried by 27, well done JC for turning up now to talk about busses

Mr Speaker, I would like to congratulate the house for taking control.

The government’s approach has been an abject failure and this house must now find a solution.

So I pay tribute to [Oliver Letwin and Hilary Benn] and others, who have worked to achieve tonight’s result.

The government must take this process seriously. We do not know what the house will decide on Wednesday. But I know there are many members of this house who have been working for alternative solutions, and we must debate those to find a consensus.

And this house must also consider whether any deal should be put to the people for a confirmatory vote.

Where this government has failed, this house must, and I believe will, succeed.

binners

Richard Harrington was the only Tory MP i’ve Heard talking any sense in about 3 years. He’s hardly been shy of voicing his opinion that Brexit is madness and the idea of No Deal is total insanity.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Well, everyday this somehow goes from mental to utterly deranged.

How does the bar for crazy just keep being raised with each passing day?

I mean, this has gone more weird than I could have possibly imagined on the day we voted out!

theotherjonv

As I understand it, the argument about parliament taking control of the business agenda on Wednesday is that it sets a dangerous precedent. A few made noises / points of order to this effect last night.

Isn’t it rather that precisely because the government hasn’t allowed debate to happen, hasn’t engaged properly with the others that this became almost inevitable?

That’s the environment we’re in; couple that to the point that they gave away a majority in an ill conceived election, and the blame for this ‘tumultuous’ event lies in one place only.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Isn’t it rather that precisely because the government hasn’t allowed debate to happen, hasn’t engaged properly with the others that this became almost inevitable?

100%
    In normal circumstances a government would have fallen by this stage.

theotherjonv

I’m wondering if the first item on the order paper will be to create a backdoor where parliament can seize control more easily in future, just for the shits and giggles.

More seriously it has been suggested they may create the potential to extend the debate for as long as necessary to discuss options properly.

Viewing 40 posts - 63,881 through 63,920 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.