Viewing 40 posts - 63,681 through 63,720 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • mickmcd
    Free Member

I mentioned a while back gove would be PM

I shit you not.

If maybot was to do anything to save any chance of that snivelling little shite getting in she could at least revoke A50 and hand the shit sandwich on

pondo

That Heseltine speech is the nuts.

Drac

That is one absolutely outstanding and motivational speech by Heseltine.

dantsw13

Sadly, nobody with the power to change anything cares.

BoardinBob

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47683059

If the deal passes next week because of that ^ then democracy is dead for me.

tjagain

Heseltine shows how our current bunch of politicians really do not measure up to those of a generation ago. I really do not know the answer but this is a really talentless bunch on all sides of the house. there is not many of them could empty sand out of their boots with the instructions written on the sole!

DrJ

London needs more public toilets!!

No shit. Err.. I mean no kidding. But the Gallileo app is good for finding those that exist 🙂

zippykona

I think Heseltine’s speech has taken back Churchill and to a certain extent thatcher.

Who will be the new gammon poster boy?

sands
    Free Member

Just heard – Heseltine is scheduled to be interviewed by Andrew Castle

LBC radio 9:30am (ish) Sunday 24 March
    Link

gauss1777
    Free Member

Heseltine shows how our current bunch of politicians really do not measure up to those of a generation ago. I really do not know the answer but this is a really talentless bunch on all sides of the house. there is not many of them could empty sand out of their boots with the instructions written on the sole!

Initially I did not listen to his speech, only now because everyone is praising it and him. Let’s not forget who he is and what he has been a part of. So he says a few things we want to hear, amidst mainly platitudes, I’m not sure there was much in that speech. It certainly wasn’t great imho. The very notion that Heseltine is on the side of the people is so topsy turvy, in a time when it feels we’ve all ended up in Wonderland, that my head is spinning.

jam-bo

The very notion that Heseltine is on the side of the people is so topsy turvy, in a time when it feels we’ve all ended up in Wonderland, that my head is spinning.

won’t be long before we are looking back on thatcher with fondness for more competent times…

dannyh
    Free Member

Good speech by Heseltine. In times gone by, that wouldn’t have stood out as much as now, but now we have dogmatists contorting themselves and lying to themselves and ultimately sounding stupid, that was a breath of fresh air.

Did anyone else think the bloke in hi-viz was actually a gillet jaune in slight disguise and was about to poison-tipped umbrella him?

nick1962
    Free Member

As above ,look at his record,a “compassionate Tory wet” who still think he knows what’s best for the oiks.That Heseltine speech is absolute pants! 1/10 for historical accuracy.
    I think you’ll find the post WW2 devastion in Europe and it’s impact,the Marshall plan,the formation of NATO,the perceived common threat of the USSR/Cold War and the military hegemony of the USA are the primary reasons why there has been peace in Europe.FFS “Churchill would be….blah blah blah” and a bit of remainer rabble rousing at the end.I think some on here have lost what little objectivity they had.

flipiddy
    Free Member

Actually, Churchill’s vision was a “United States of Europe” as a facilitator of peace and stability. I’d say on that front it has succeeded in his vision.

You’re right, other elements have played their part, but I strongly disagree in your analysis of historical innacuracy.

Strong speech (and I am not easily impressed). The man speaks the truth.

igm

I think you’ll find the post WW2 devastion in Europe and it’s impact,the Marshall plan,the formation of NATO,the perceived common threat of the USSR/Cold War and the military hegemony of the USA are the primary reasons why there has been peace in Europe.

These helped, but Europe as EEC or EU etc was central to it.

piha
    Free Member

Heseltine’s speech was particularly good and surprisingly well received in Parliament Sq yesterday.

I thought Caroline Lucas was better and her speech was better received IMO. Nicola Sturgeon couldn’t help herself with mentioning her particular political dogma when it wasn’t topic of the moment. I thought most of the political speakers kept party politic’s to a minimum.

dannyh
    Free Member

@nick1962

I find it very interesting and revealing that you use the term ‘compassionate’ as an insult.

Drac

I think you’ll find the post WW2 devastion in Europe and it’s impact,the Marshall plan,the formation of NATO,the perceived common threat of the USSR/Cold War and the military hegemony of the USA are the primary reasons why there has been peace in Europe.

Which is pretty much what he was saying.

AD

nick1962 – I suspect Farage made a speech more to your taste yesterday – ‘No more Mr Nice guy’ – very impressive and jammed packed with historical accuracies… 🙂

binners

BBC reporting that the Maybot has summoned some MPs to Chequers for an emergency summit.

All are the usual suspects – members of the ERG. So once again it looks like the headbangers are the only ones being consulted

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Have to say that I actually think Gove might be a good option – although not to many here as they can’t see past their hatred of the tories 🙂

I think he was humbled by that Boris thing and has reflected more on the whole brexit mess, witness his call for the Norway option, which is the only sensible option at the moment because no-one has a solution yet for the Irish border issue. Who else in the tories is pedalling that ?

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/foreign-affairs/brexit/news/97339/michael-gove-talked-norway-style-brexit-dinner-tory-mps

Plus he has a record of actually getting things done, unlike a lot of other politicians.

flipiddy
    Free Member

Theresa May is merely a puppet for the ERG, that’s quite clear for a while from the lack of genuine cross-party communication.

The ERG are simply riding on the coat tails of Conservative party in some kind of parasitic manner, slowly yet surely draining the lifeblood.

Imagine if they formed as a party and stood alone? They know that they would become inconsequential.

I don’t hold much faith the general population will twig that the ERG members couldn’t possibly be further removed from their own interests. It would be wonderful if they prove me wrong.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Have to say that I actually think Gove might be a good option – although not to many here as they can’t see past their hatred of the tories

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Gove

I can see far enough to see his approval of creationist schools, the farce that was the bibles in schools, various other cockups and being nothing but a puppet for his wife at times. An odious backstabber without a hint of a spine.

Plus he has a record of actually getting things done, unlike a lot of other politicians.

And that is why teachers hold a special place in hell for him 🙂

ransos
    Free Member

He got plenty done when he was Education Secretary.

flipiddy
    Free Member

God no. Gove is an incredibly slippery character than turns on his allies and friends. A real-life political Judas.

His wife is a spiteful hate-spreader for the Daily Mail. Just look at her tweets if you need convincing. She is a strong hand in his political manoeuvres and decisions. They are both very chummy with Murdoch.

The information is out there for you to make up your own mind, it’s not fiction I’m peddling.

It would be a mix of Daily Mail and Murdoch by proxy. Like throwing petrol to extinguish the fire.

gauss1777
    Free Member

Have to say that I actually think Gove might be a good option – although not to many here as they can’t see past their hatred of the tories 🙂

If only I wasn’t so small minded.

The ERG are simply riding on the coat tails of Conservative party in some kind of parasitic manner, slowly yet surely draining the lifeblood.

The ERG are the Conservative party. They’re the part of the party who either don’t realise they should keep their inner thoughts to themselves, or really don’t care what the populace think – as however awful they are a short time later someone will come along and say they’ve been humbled! There have been many many examples over the years of all flavour of tories being caught off guard expressing their true feelings. Not that this should be necessary as their policies speak for them loud enough!

I’ll stick to hating them with a passion you cannot begin to imagine.

Klunk
    Free Member

I think he was humbled by that Boris thing and has reflected more on the whole brexit mess, witness his call for the Norway option

the norway optiom is the worst of all worlds really, all the “issues” that “caused” this fiasco with no say in the process. Better to remain and use the options for FOM/employment rights that are available and have a say and a voice in the EU.

kelvin

Hmm… even Tory voting teachers hate him, in my experience. He has been standing up for farmers and the environment though, against the rediculously damaging rhetoric of the, er, Leave, er… sorry, there’s a contradiction there I can’t get past.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The ERG are the Conservative party.

And at any other time would have been chucked out for repeated ignoring of the whip in really important votes – she just can’t give up the numbers even if they won’t support her

flipiddy
    Free Member

The ERG are the Conservative party. They’re the part of the party who either don’t realise they should keep their inner thoughts to themselves, or really don’t care what the populace think

It certainly seems like that way at this moment in time. I believe that there are still some decent Tory MPs in this parliament, but decent Tories with a backbone are much harder to find.

dannyh
    Free Member

Sort of. They are a disaster capitalist sleeper cell. They could only exist inside the Tories, though, so it is indicative of a lot of the underlying petty nationalist/racist prejudice that many Tories have, they just don’t talk about it unless they know ‘they are among friends’.

Imagine if they formed as a party and stood alone? They know that they would become inconsequential.

That is why it has to be an internally generated coup, a malignant tumour is an apt analogy here.

I don’t hold much faith the general population will twig that the ERG members couldn’t possibly be further removed from their own interests. It would be wonderful if they prove me wrong.

No chance. Like all extremists with a populist front they tap very effectively into a rich seam of not wanting to deal with the complexity of the world and ongoing change. Future too uncertain? We can give you the past, it was better then. Life not panning out for you like you wanted? It is ‘progress’ that is the problem, definitely not you yourself, it was much better in the past before ‘they’ started to come here.

Tempting oversimplification for people who refuse to confront their own failings and want to blame someone else.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

although not to many here as they can’t see past their hatred of the tories

So what we really mean is that some tories struggle so see path their love of all things tory to get how other people might feel about him??

flipiddy
    Free Member

No chance. Like all extremists with a populist front they tap very effectively into a rich seam of not wanting to deal with the complexity of the world and ongoing change. Future too uncertain? We can give you the past, it was better then. Life not planning out for you like you wanted? It is ‘progress’ that is the problem, definitely not you yourself, it was much better in the past before ‘they’ started to come here.

Absolutely. So, how to promote positive change? For most MPs this is the harder route. Easier to take the shortcut blame game.

kelvin

When others are offering a single big “quick fix” (that won’t be either quick or a fix) it is very hard to get a purchase on the political mood by suggesting multiple real possible small improvements that can be made.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Realistically it has to come from a ground up grass roots movement, we helped this city, we want to bring these policies to others or better still when people start to demand what others are doing.

dannyh
    Free Member

Absolutely. So, how to promote positive change? For most MPs this is the harder route. Easier to take the shortcut blame game.

The one word answer is easy.

Education.

But it takes time.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Gove?

F no!

A backstabbing Judas if ever there was one..

tjagain

Gove is a foul mixture of incompetence, dimness and hubris. An utter vile man.

The point about Heseltine was not that we like the mans politics – I don’t but that in a world of political nonentities he stands out because he is not dim nor a liar.

stumpyjon

The ERG are no more the Tory party than Militant or Momentum are the Labour party. They are all extremist elements of otherwise main stream parties. Neither group is in touch with the bulk of the electorate or care what they think. They are all selfish and idealogical driven, the ERG for personal wealth, Momentum for personal power.

As for Gove for PM, oh dear….

Northwind

stumpyjon

Subscriber

The ERG are no more the Tory party than Militant or Momentum are the Labour party. They are all extremist elements of otherwise main stream parties.

There’s estimateed to be between 40 and 80 ERG MPs, recognised by and exclusively part of the Tory party, supported by cabinet members and publically funded- how is that comparable to Momentum, which have 0? or Militant, which have 0?

I’m sure the tories would love us to think it’s some eccentric outlier but Leadsom, Grayling, Javid, Davis, Gove, Mordaunt, Duncan-Smith and Patel have all funded it (they refuse to publish a members list but these have all claimed expenses for funding the ERG)

Viewing 40 posts - 63,681 through 63,720 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.