Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Etape Caledonia Sun March 14 Recce anyone?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

Posted this a wee while ago, there was a fair bit of interest. Does anyoneone fancy a jaunt up there on March 14, leaving Escape Route, the bike shop in Pitlochry at 10am.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’d love to but I can’t make the 14th and I’m planning a midweek recce. Looking forward to the evnt though.

Did you get the ‘seeding’ e-mail? I’m down for ‘Under 5 hours 30 mins’, I wonder what time that’ll be setting off?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Bummer, I just checked the entry site and found that it has sold out. That will teach me. I’m still keen to ride the loop again though as the roads are good.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Woops 😉 Are you travelling far to do the route mcmoonter. Its just that the route of the Radar Ride (Southern Upland Sportive on 12th July) is an absolute cracker and certainly worth a look.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

i’m up for this. is there parking near the bike shop? (think i’ve only ever ridden through pitlochry so no idea what its like)

13thfloormonk

I did a similar loop on Saturday

Dunkeld – Blairgowrie – Kirkmichael – Pitlochry – Tummel Bridge – Aberfeldy – Scotstoun – Dunkeld

and it was one of the best road rides i’ve been on, great combination of scenery, climbs and descents. The descent into pitlochry on the Moulin road was a classic, i want to ride more corners like those!

I would quite like to come up on the train for this, did you mean sunday 15th, or saturday 14th?

geoffj

i’m up for this. is there parking near the bike shop? (think i’ve only ever ridden through pitlochry so no idea what its like)

You can park on the road right outside escape route or there is a pay and display just across the road.

There is loads of parking in Pitlochry – nowt to worry about.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Oops that should be Sunday 15th. But I’m easy either way, sat would be fine too if its easier for everyone else.

I hurt my back trailbuilding last weekend, so a rehab road ride should be a good start to recovery.

13thfloormonk, that sounds a good loop too, I’ll have to try that too, as you say the downhill back to Pitlochry would be very good, and well earned.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Just heard that the entry list is full. Thats 3300 riders! I’ll have to see if there is an on the day waiting list.

There are two ride leaving Escape Route on Saturady and Sunday. These are being organised by some local guys who have been out all winter. Neither follow the entire loop though.

druidh
    Free Member

The entry list is full because Macmillan Cancer Support have taken up a batch. You can still get an entry if you pledge £150 to them. I’ve just put in for “under 5h30m too”. I don’t think I’m ready for a training ride though 🙂

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Druidh, its not that hard a ride, its pretty flat around the lochs. The only real hill is Schiehallion. The proposed ride will include cafe stops.

Stu_N

Interested too – depends on your approach though, are you planning to batter round or take it at a steady pace? I’m keen to support the local economy by having a cafe stop somewhere as well…(not least because I ain’t doing 80 miles on 2 bottles).

I’m not doing the Etape event, but I did the route solo last spring in a sniff under 6 hours – does that sounds like the sort of pace you’re thinking of?

metalheart
    Free Member

Aye, you must have got Mike D’s e-mail too. **** hell: 3300 entries!

I’ve probably left it too late n’all. Bugger…

Fancy a dander around the course at some point none the less. ‘For next year…’

Don’t know if I can make the 14th though.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I’d prefer a steady pace if possible – i’m training for the fred whitton and trying to work on miles rather than speed. Unfortunately i’ve not been working on either much at the moment!

Not doing the Etape either – decided it might not be a good move after the Fred the week before – but still keen to see what the route is like as a possible for next year.

Is there a preference for the 14th or 15th?

druidh
    Free Member

If it’s the 14th, not too early a start and an easy pace, I might be tempted. 🙂

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Druidh

Can I get a lift if it ends up being on the 14th? Happy to share petrol costs etc.

PS, I need to reply to your email – been off sick all week and not really been online so will have a think and get back to you.

druidh
    Free Member

If I can get everything else lined up then a lift will be fine. No hurry on the routes thing – just after some ideas…

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

i’ve been looking at the map quite a bit recently – trying to up my mileage on routes from our side of town (which doesn’t leave many that are quiet!) -so would be good to swap ideas. to be honest, all the road riding i’ve done that’s been any good has involved a drive… although i’ve worked out a good route from mine, to carnwarth, peebles, cardrona, moffat, peebles, gorebridge, hillend and back to mine but don’t know the mileage yet. its all pretty much on quiet/back roads, aside from a few small bits on the a702.

sorry for the hijack, will continue this via facebook email druidh (but that has to be at home cos work blocks emails!)

Smee
    Free Member

I shall attend.

Not fussed what the pace is like.

Sunday is best for me.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Shall we say Saturday the 14th then? Meeting to leave Escape Route at 10am.
    I cn give folks a lift from near Kirkcldy or would pick up anyone from the Sevices (car park next to Dobbies) at Kinross for a group car share.

I’m up for a super mellow spin.

Stu_N

Sounds good – though it looks like I might not actually make it as life stuff could well get in the way.

Clare – are you familiar with the Bathgate Alps (the hills between Lithgae and Bathgate)? If you mail me (in profile) I can send you a couple of route ideas if that would help – easily in striking distance of Edinburgh.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Sat at 10am sounds good to me.

Stu – i’ve heard of them but never ridden them. Will mail you in a bit. Thanks for the routes 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

OK – roll call. [*]Saturday 14th[/*] [*]10am[/*] [*]Escape Route[/*] [*]Easy pace, with possible bail-out options depending on weather[/*] [*]Compulsory Café stop[/*] [*]Lights?[/*]

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Count me in, with the option of a car share from Kinross services. There’s plenty of scope for a bail out option. Its dark at 6 so lights wont be needed unless the weather is bad and we are on busier roads.

Stu_N

Might have to go into work but hopefully not – forecast looks reasonable too. Put me at 80% chance of making it.

Which cafe are you thinking of?

druidh
    Free Member

I’m thinking lights in the event of any problems (mechanical or physiological).

Café? Dunno – need to see what’s en route I guess. Any friendly locals know what’s available (in March) somewhere around Bridge of Gaur / Kinloch Rannoch?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

There are cafes in Kinloch Rannoch, Fortingall and Weem.

Merak

I may be up for this. How many folk will be in the bunch?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Looks like half a dozen. Maybe more by the weekend.

Merak

I would just be along to get the miles in. Im not doing the etape.

druidh
    Free Member

Merak – So far, it’s as you see on this thread. Myself, DGOAB, McMoonter, Stu_N (poss). This’ll be my longest ride since last summer (by some considerable margin), so I’m hoping for a nice easy pace and will have a few bail-out options up my sleeve. I’m really just planning a nice ride in the country 🙂

geoffj

There is a nice pub/hotel in Fortingall. Right next to the Churchyard with the Yew in it. And if the Glen Lyon Post Office / Tea Room is on your route you must stop. The cakes are fabulous! Oh and slightly off your route – the Watermill in Aberfeldy would be another possible cafe stop. Grrrrrreeeeeeeaaaaaaat coffee.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

The Glen Lyon cafe is run by my brother’s brother and sister in law. As you said the cakes are fantastic, so is the stove which we monopolised last February when we rode down from Ben Lawers. It was minus 5 at the dam. Who knows what the windchill was on the downhill. I’ve never been so cold, ever. No one else was getting near the stove without a fight.

druidh
    Free Member

We’ll not be going as far as Bridge of Balgie I’m afraid.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

me, but i don’t have lights on the bike i will be using…

Merak

I would be travelling from Glasgow so would need some directions. I havent got a clue where Im going or what the route is! Or indeed the mileage involved.

Incidentally would everyone be on roadbikes?

druidh
    Free Member

dirtygirlonabike – Member

me, but i don’t have lights on the bike i will be using…

You might need a man to show you what end to use….

druidh
    Free Member

Merak – you’re aiming for Pitlochry. Up the A9 to Stirling, Perth and keep going on the Inverness road. Should be about 90 minutes or so for you, depending on where you are, traffic, etc.

Meet at Escape Route (bike shop on the main road).

I’ve put a pdf of the route up here. It heads North, then all the way west, cuts back east, then a dog-leg southwest before looping back to Pitlochry. 84 miles if we do it all.

I’m trying to decide which road bike to take – the fast one or the comfy one 🙂

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

lol cheeky. there’s no room on my bars for lights anyway.

this thread is loading all weird on my screen :-S

merak – the routes 84miles with 2,000m of ascent. think most of us will be on road bikes.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Druidh, fast or comfy? If its going to rain I’m taking my retro Roberts with mudguards, if its sunny my road bike. I’d rather enjoy the view and the company that chase a wheel all day.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Etape Caledonia Sun March 14 Recce anyone?’ is closed to new replies.