Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Environmental workshop
  • votchy
    Free Member

I have been invited to an environmental workshop and have to do some homework so can you please help, the 3 questions I have are:

1 – define a brand or product which you believe is a leader in its industry from an environmental perspective (does not have to be auto industry)
    2 – what defines its leadership credentials & how is it different from its competitors.
    3 – how does it differ to ??? in its pursuit of environmental performance.

You have probably guessed that I work for an automotive company so can you please help. The answers from 1 & 2 will give me the answer to 3, so ignore that question.

Many thanks

Votchy

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Workshop = Place with tools and stuff. That is NOT a workshop.

Grrrr.

Onzadog
    Free Member

doesn't Chris King claim to be greener? Also, Pedros lubes came from green ideas. Perhaps their websites might have your answers.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

1. CK recycle all their all waste and all the waste water etc IIRC.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I'm sure they've changed their anodizing process to be greener as well.

Hope polish their hubs with walnuts I think.

midgebait
    Free Member

If you want something vaguely quantitative I'd be tempted to use one of the measures of corporate sustainability performance like FTSE 4 Good or the Dow Jones Sustainability Index. These indexes rank companies within industry types and would be a good place to start. Environmental performance is not the only criteria but it's in there.

I'll let you do the rest!

nickhart
    Free Member

easy peasy lemon squeezy.
    patagonia. go read yvon chouniards book (let my people go surfing(or something like that)) and go be top of the class.

surprisingly starbucks is very eco friendly as is illy, mmmm illy coffee.

have a look on the gaurdian website for big companies. also go to the CAT website as i think they have an online shop which may give you ideas.

smiffy

surprisingly starbucks is very eco friendly

how can a business that is totally **** pointless and is the source of immense amounts of litter and duplicated resources be "eco friendly"?

coffeeking
    Free Member

It is a workshop with tools, they're just mental tools rather than physical ones.

Oooh err, no offence intended 🙂

geoffj

1 – define a brand or product which you believe is a leader in its industry from an environmental perspective (does not have to be auto industry)

Dyson air blade hand drier

2 – what defines its leadership credentials & how is it different from its competitors.
    Uses less energy than conventional units and actually dries your hands

3 – how does it differ to ??? in its pursuit of environmental performance.
    Provides a more enclosed drying space and uses higher pressure warm air, which is more effective

HTH

votchy
    Free Member

CFH – apologies for cutting and pasting the e-mail from management 😀

geoffj – thank you very much, that will be a good starter, have until November to do my 'homework' 😯

tazzymtb

patagonia – mountain clothing company or ellsworth, both very eco companies who buy/build in a sustainable way with a low carbon/fair trade/donate, precentage of proceeds back to developing countries, rain forest alliance ethos, have a look at thier websites they big it up very nicely

jon1973
    Free Member

Grrrr.

Not sure that's any worse then describing a singletrack course as 'technical'.

nickhart
    Free Member

hit a nerve then smiffy?
    i hate them with a passion but got talking to a regional manager one night and it was a very enlightening conversation. they don't advertise, other than on their litter. they pay fair wages and look at keeping their production sustainable.
    perhaps for a workshop the people running it are wanting to provoke thought and debate………
    is it not better that a company tries to do lots of little things rather than being holier than thou, kind of where howies were….

smiffy

Perhaps my viewpoint is different coming from the environmental engineering sector, where you can actual stop at the end of the day day and see tangible, measurable evidence that the world is a better place.

mansonsoul
    Free Member

I'm not sure anything to do with the 'auto' industry can ever be environmentally friendly, unless of course they close down their industry completely. But still, that will never happen, so it's good that workshops like this are happening and industry are thinking about this.

PePPeR

How about the CO-OP?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Environmental workshop’ is closed to new replies.