Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Elan Village / Claerwen to civilisation question
  • Blackhound

A couple of us are doing the Cambrian Way in a few weeks. Day one takes you to Rhayader which is a measley 50k;-).

So if we get to Elan Village by say 16:00 could we get across the moor in say 2ish hours?

It looks like about 25km along road and track by the res with easy navigation and we will have a gps (and lights) anyway. Should we go for it?

Will make a final decision based on weather and how we feel – but is the section harder than it looks on an os map? (I am not slow but am no way quick either)

blastit
    Free Member

when we did it a couple of year ago day 2 tooks us about 8-9 hours. It was a big day as I recall. The ride along side the res was ok but the head wind was the real killer, making it a bit more of a challenge.
    Yes the first day is a little short but if you can find a nice place to stay after the res then maybe its goer. Not much light left after 4 in a couple of weeks time !!!

nostoc
    Free Member

The track round Claerwen and beyond is easy going but the stuff before you get there (some bits of which I haven't ridden for a while) has more ups, rocky bits, "puddles", etc. Not exactly difficult but probably one of the harder sections. I reckon two hours is easily possible but cutting it a bit fine. And depends where you're aiming for – Pontrhydfendigaid is only just civilisation.

scratch
    Free Member

Like Nostoc says depends how far you want to push it, 2hrs from Elan village should be fine, the track around the res is standard dual farmtrack stuff, I've ridden around once at night, stunning if you get a bit of moonlight over the res.

Black Lion in Pontrhydfendigaid or the Teifi in at Ffair Rhos are good for a pint. Pontrhydfendigaid has a decent village shop too.

zokes
    Free Member

I would not want to be lost up there with a gps that had just died, and limited life in my lights. You're a very long way from anywhere…

nickc

Theres' a bothy on the way to Ffar Rhos if you don't make it that far anyway, just a way off the track

scratch
    Free Member

Be sure to block up the rat hole in the bothy before going to bed!
    nom nom nom

Blackhound

All,

Thanks for response. We will have maps as well as gps and hopefully room for common sense in the camelbak!

If day is good and we feel fine we can have a feed at Elan village and go for it if early enough. Will have about an hour or so of daylight 'spare' all being well for mechanicals etc.

Just need to amke sure there is accommodation beyond Claerwen should we make it.

Kev

pq
    Free Member

Kev, I did it on my tourer in July with full camping gear. It's neither hard nor technical. I was going the other way, but after wild camping near Teifi lakes, I got to Rhayader for an early lunch after a very leisurely start. As for navigation, it's all straight on on a very distinct track so it's hard to imagine getting lost. If you do the section where you head north shortly after the tarmac begins, that's also very easy to navigate and was also totally rideable on my tourer.

Blackhound

Cheers Pete. Not seen you for a while. Was out with Rich last weekend on the road….

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Elan Village / Claerwen to civilisation question’ is closed to new replies.