Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Eating out with a severe nut allergy
  • boriselbrus
    Free Member

I’ve randomly just developed a severe nut allergy at the age of 48. Discovered after eating a handful of nuts as a snack and ending up in A&E. So I now have to travel everywhere with an Epipen and a handful of antihistamines.

Normal eating is fine as we don’t eat much processed stuff but eating out (when we are allowed) worries me. Are there any others on here with this? Do you tell the restaurant when you book or when you turn up? Has any restaurant refused to serve you and what types of restaurant are best avoided.

Slightly nervous TBH as in the past I’ve ordered alcohol free beer in a restaurant and ended up with full strength, leading to a long wait before driving home, and a coeliac friend was given normal bread despite being offered and accepting gluten free.

It could be worse of course but I’m pretty gutted as I like nuts! Hey ho…

boombang
    Free Member

My son has a nut and sesame allergy (most nuts but even the nuts he is allowed can contain traces of others) and it’s a minefield.

Our experiences are really mixed. Some restaurants are amazing, clear marking of menus and really keen to help, others will just say can’t confirm 100%.

It isn’t even chains versus the rest, some chains are great as things are pre-packed and portioned, and high end restaurants can end up with issues of traces due to how they make things from scratch.

We have had a sesame free burger come with sesame seeds on a bun. There was also an ice cream that wasn’t the Cart D’Or as per menu but another brand of ice cream. The first was fine as sent the food back but later was an allergic reaction and fill my son with antihistamine.

Always do tell them before we go if booking but then again when there and again when ordering.

Usually it just results in able to order from a reduced menu and sometimes can’t have things like sauce or gravy but rest of the meal.

Good luck, stay safe.

dc1988

I don’t have experience but I personally wouldn’t take the risk, the way an average restaurant or pub makes your food means there is no way they can guarantee it is nut free. If somewhere can then it’s quite likely it’s not been made fresh (and would still have been in a possibly contaminated kitchen).

I think part of the issue would be that unless you know the effects of nut allergies then you’re never going to fully appreciate how seriously it needs to be taken.

mrmoofo

If you are dealing with high class restaurants one they should know what is in all the recipes … but if you are dealing with chains, the employees will be as disinterested as in most other establishments.
    Vegetarians used to have real trials in mainland Europe – being served meat was fairly common . But the advent of vegan / vegetarian / flexitarian has changed much of that.
    Allergies ( legally) should be well catered for – but if you notice on most packaging ” product made in plant that uses nuts / other allergens etc … which is the get out clause.

TBH, if you have a severe allergy, I think you just have to be very sure that what you are eating is safe. The Pret case showed that

Yak

My daughter has a peanut allergy so we always carry 2 epipens and antihistamine. Most of the time eating out is ok and places can cater for allergies. Occasionally an ice-cream van or similar will refuse to serve based on how they manage their manufacture of the ice-cream, but I am happy that they say that rather than risk it.
    We have been caught out in a curry house though. Management denied the use of peanuts, but the chef said they sometimes swap peanuts for almonds in kormas. The other thing is to be aware of frying and the use of ground-nut oil. So as well as asking about the ingredients, I also ask about the oils used the cooking.

wzzzz
    Free Member

I randomly got a tree nut allergy at the age of 35.

It’s an absolute nightmare. Even if the waitress goes in the back to ask the chef, looks you in the eye and tells you there no nuts in it you will still get reactions. They need to read the ingredients packet on everything and not use the same utensils / chopping board / plate as anything else.

You have to be THAT person that is mega fussy, and can’t join your mates for a curry or have to insist on one you know you trust even if the food is not as good.

I was never fussy about eating anything before so it does not come naturally, the fear ends up ruining the occasion so I end up not bothering anymore.

Its bloody miserable.

BillOddie

My dad had a scary peanut allergy.  Phone ahead, ask for the allergen menu (chains have these), don’t be afraid to double check and tip well.

BigJohn

Not a euphemism then?

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Well this is thoroughly depressing. Travelling around, especially abroad is going to be a nightmare isn’t it.

Many thanks for all the responses though.

chrispoffer

[Waves @boriselbrus]

Yes, I’ve got a severe peanut allergy. Couple of years older than you but I’ve always had it.

Think yourself lucky that you’ve got it later in life. At least stuff is labelled these days and people are aware of it – unlike the 70s and 80s!

I always carry some antihistamines. A strip of Piriton doesn’t take up much room so I always have some in the car, briefcase, ‘going away’ washbag etc. I haven’t had an epipen for years, they go out of date.

Most places are pretty good but curry’s are a great one to avoid. Last restaurant I got caught out in was a curry house – but it was probably 15 years ago now. I was careful to explain what I couldn’t have – ie peanuts, nut oil, other nuts, etc, etc – still ended up in A & E.

On the upside, you’re probably not going abroad anytime soon……

Be careful, read the ingredients and ask the waiters. And if you’re not sure, have something else.

lunge

Nut allergy here, mine is severe with certain kinds of nuts (peanuts and almonds, I go anaphylactic) and less so with others (Hazelnuts, pecans, occasional vomit, feel a bit ropey for an hour).

Generally, Mrs Lunge worries about it more than I do. I take the view that worst case I have to stab myself and have a handful antihistamines. I’ve done this a few times and it’s really not a big deal once you’ve done it once. Scarier in thought than in practise.

Most places won’t give you complete assurance of a nut free kitchen, you’ll get a “may contain traces” or a “we prepare nuts in the kitchen and can’t promise no cross contamination”. This is general a backside covering exercise, any good kitchen will avoid cross contamination to get their food hygiene ratings, but the nuts are in the kitchen generally.

Experience is that most chains (McD’s, Cafe Rouge, Pizza Express, etc.) are normally very good and know exactly what’s in what and it’ll be on the menu. High-end places are the same but make sure you ask as you’ll sometimes find things like nut oil in places that you won’t expect so don’t just rely on the menu. If reserving anywhere I generally put it in the comments, “nuts in the kitchen are fine, nuts on the plate/in the dish not good”.

I’ve had most problems with Chinese and Indian places, there seems to me less awareness of what’s in their dishes and what’s not. Desserts are generally more of a challenge than mains and desserts.

As an overview, don’t sweat it, I’ve had it forever and it rarely gives me any issues.

dc1988

I remember a TV show a few years ago where they tested curries and a lot of the ones that claimed to have almonds were actually bulked out with various other nuts (not necessarily by the restaurant themselves).

nicko74

The big question you need to work out is: are you allergic only if nuts are an ingredient (eg in a Waldorf salad, or peanuts sprinkled on a curry or similar), or when your food is in the vicinity of nuts?

The latter is probably a real challenge, as every single place says “we have nuts in our kitchen, so we can’t make promises”, etc.

The former’s not too bad in all honesty; a family member ends up in hospital if they eat nuts, but as long as they’re not an ingredient in a dish, is fine. By now we know that every so often, despite our best efforts, we may end up in hospital; but we always have an epi-pen on hand, and we know the routine pretty well. The last time was a few years ago.

Most restaurants/ cafes etc are pretty knowledgeable for the most part now, because nut allergies are fairly common. So between you specifically telling them, and telling them repeatedly if you don’t know the place (when you order, when it comes out etc); your own common sense (if a muffin looks like it might have nuts, better to steer clear); and knowing what to do if you get it wrong, you should be OK.
    The only real proviso we’ve found there is some restaurants where the staff maybe aren’t 100% with their English – occasionally we’ve had issues with curry houses where they answer ‘yes’ to every question but may not actually understand what we’re asking. But again, over time you get a decent understanding of what’s fine, what’s probably OK, and what’s not worth risking. You’ll be reet!

lunge

To add to the above, learning how bad things affect you, how quick and how you cope is key. And you almost need to be caught out a few times to find that out.

I know when I eat a peanut I’ll get tingly lips and an acrid taste in my mouth almost immediately. If that comes I take 4 or 5 antihistamines (Acrivastine is fast acting and comes in capsules than can be emptied into a drink to make it act even quicker) and not need the epi-pen if it’s a tiny amount. I then know after another 5 mins if it’s worked and whether to reach for the stabber.

In the past I sometimes waited a little to long to react, now I’ll take the antihistamines immediately, worst case I feel a bit sleepy, best case I don’t need the epi-pen.

The sentiment of “you’ll be reet” is also bang on, it’s easy to get stressed when you’re new to it but it’s really no biggie unless it’s super-severe (like, being able to sense the fella on the opposite table eating nuts severe). Loads of people have a nut allergy so it’s not an uncommon ask for most places. If I’m in any doubt I’ll generally try a nibble and give it 5 mins to react, if I get a reaction then the tablet will normally fix a small amount, if no reaction then progress with caution.

And as I say, worst case you get a sore arm or thigh…

jamesoz

Tree nut allergy, not had a problem eating out that I can definitely pin on nuts.
    Been ill within half an hour of eating but can’t say it was the food or allergy related. Been ill a few times working away, but again can’t say for sure if it’s bad food or nuts in the food.
    I certainly avoid any Desserts, biscuits or food with random sauces.

May contain traces of nuts is as. Said a get out clause.
    I’ve done work at a few food factories and commercial kitchens and especially the factories, nuts are carefully controlled.

Christmas is a bit of a nightmare. If someone has been cracking walnuts in a room, thats enough for the full heyfever effect/asthma .
    I used to love them, reacted once to a Brazil nut and since then the reaction got steadily worse.
    No EpiPen as it wasn’t really a thing in the seventies/eighties.

We have a cupboard of death at home where walnuts, Brazil nuts etc are sealed in plastic boxes as the Gf loves them. She used to take them to work, now she works at home I have a sneezing fit if I walk in the office/spare room at the wrong time. Might have to get her to eat them outside like a smoker…

crikey
    Free Member

worst case you get a sore arm or thigh…

Um…

I’ve deleted the scary story bit…

Don’t muck about with anaphylaxis.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

So I guess I will find out over time how sensitive I am. Looking forward to this!

Loving the “Cupboard of death”. My other half has removed everything nut based from the house and gone into panic mode. As someone who would eat pretty much anything it’s weird walking round the supermarket thinking “That’ll kill me, so will that, and that…”

As said, it could be worse and labelling is good these days.

towzer

Not quite in the same league, but mrs is a strict coeliac (2 hrs after gluten intake she’s blowing both ends, horrible for about 4-6 hrs then all right the next day)

I always internet check to make sure the menu has an allergens section or statement. Then when we get there a verbal check with staff – if it’s a glazed or confused reaction, or porkies then it’s a no from us. (I Also check online, trip advisor does allergen info, reviews etc) Over time I’ve learned much more about ingredients (*wheat on frozen chips to stop them sticking – did you know). Also The mrs is a pretty good cook so understands ingredients and can spot bullshit.

Ime there is ABSOLUTELY NO relation between restaurant ability to deal with it and quality/price. Some of the chains are brilliant, the lounge chain, and waggamma, etc etc, and when you see/hear things like as you have a special dietary reqt we have to get the manager to take your order, see meals with flags on them to indicate special conditions apply, etc seem like a great idea to me), we nearly got done in a very expensive gastro pub (*most soys have wheat in them but we both knew that, the restaurant didn’t), whilst the unlicensed Indian (bring your glass from the pub next door) where we always go for the pickleball club meals, massive set meal, no problems – here’s your special starter and I’ll go through the mains with you.

If it’s a place we really fancy and it’s not clear then I tend to phone and gauge the reaction, but it certainly restricts what the mrs east and tries. There is a coeliac society and we use tips from them, presumably there one for nut allergy as well.

poly
    Free Member

Similar situation to towzer here – you’ll fairly quickly (with the help of social media groups) work out where you can/can’t trust. At least coeliac can’t kill you – but it can make you ill for a few days if they really screw up!

TBH, if you have a severe allergy, I think you just have to be very sure that what you are eating is safe. The Pret case showed that

I don’t think that’s what the Pret case showed. They were sure it was safe!

jamesoz

It’s odd I know two people with tree nut allergies, which I only found out when one of them collapsed when walking into the pub, after a take out meal and the subsequent discussion in our group.
    Yet in the early 2000’s I still had to explain, when in hospital for some surgery that peanuts are fine as it’s a different thing altogether, I just don’t like them.

You’ll have to get used to people looking at you odd when you say no to cake too. Just in case.

timber

My wife has a nut allergy and agree with all the things above. Ice cream tends to be our most risky one we find through cross contamination on the scoop and on another occasion, desert serving knife. Always check labels, even if you’ve had it before, got caught out by a change of ingredients to something we had frequently

Some places are really rubbish and fob you off with everything might contain nuts, so usually just leave those places after mentioning that there are also finger nails in their kitchens, but they don’t advertise their food as may contain fingernails. It’s lazy and they don’t deserve your money. Sainsbury are the worst for printing this on every packet. Co-op chocolate is the only thing so far we have found to live up to this small print.

Finally, if you are away leaving your partner at home, remember to check up on your partner. My wife always calls mid evening to check I haven’t dehydrated trying to eat 1kg of dry roasted peanuts in the one night she is away.

ebygomm
    Free Member

You may have to be careful in coffee shop these days, a lot have started offering nut milks which increases liklihood of cross contamination.

grantyboy
    Free Member

I have a severe allergy, MDK in 10 mins. Had it all my life and am now 40.

Awareness has got better over the past few years with people realizing it’s a thing and not you being fussy. Just taking the nuts out by hand of a salad doesn’t cut it. High profile case of unfortunate people dying and takeaway owners being sued have a also raised awareness.
    A new legislation came out, could be EU law so who knows now, a few years back that if a customer orders food in a restaurant citing any allergies it gets made fresh in a specified area in the kitchen and is fully cleaned down after preventing contamination. I once had to wait an hour for a burger in TGI because of this.

With regards to epi pens; I keep one in my car, one in my office bag, one at my desk and one in the girlfriends handbag. That way I’m never caught short I will have access to one in close vicinity

It is a learning experience, you soon get wise to high risk areas. Far east cuisine for instance due to nut oils. Latest headache is the vegan push, nut butters, nut milks, nut cheeses, nuts nuts nuts. Life on the edge having a coffee in the latest hipster coffee house

You may also find different nuts give different reactions. I can eat almonds, toblerone and battenberg cake. But a peanut or pistachio will end me

nicko74

In North America they always ask: “is it tree nuts or all nuts?”, which leaves me baffled. Yes, it’s all nuts; no, I don’t care whether you think that’s unusual, this isn’t a debate.

One thing I’m more wary of these days is bakeries where they use the same utensil to pick up the almond and plain croissants – you can see the cross contamination happening in front of you, but they’re confused when you complain. Same with some ice cream places.

The other thing IME is it’s definitely best if the whole family are aware of it and keep an eye out for you; in our family, the one with the nut allergy can be a bit blase sometimes as they haven’t ended up in hospital for a while, but I’m always a bit more worried and asking the staff to check there aren’t nuts as ingredients etc.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Eating out with a severe nut allergy’ is closed to new replies.