Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Dynamo lights
  • kevs
    Free Member

Looking at dynamo lighting for the ease and no faff.
    Onbviously i want dynamo hub and lights, is that all i need or anything else?
    What do people recommend?
    Can i power front and rear from one hub?

ianbradbury

Onroad I’ll suggest what I use – Shimano hub, BuMM Cyo (front) and Topline or Secula (rear). Yes, just one hub. Aside from a few bits of wire only need other kit if you want handlebar mounting instead of fork crown or if you want to charge stuff.

shermer75
    Free Member

Yep, that’s all you need (I’m guessing you’ve already included new spokes or wheel)

When I bought my lights (B + M) it included all the necessary cableage for both front and rear lights, including the little junction box thingie. I also got a Shimano XT dynamo hub (3w). You can get 1.5w hubs now, but apparently this is only enough wattage to run the lights- not enough to charge USB devices etc

Mine is a road set up

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

OP, is it for road, offroad, both? Do you want lightweight or bog standard? Disc hub or no?

I have a Shimano Nexus hub generator with roller brake on the town/cargo bike. It has a Batavus stem-light which is basically to be seen or for really dark lanes at a slow pace. I use a battery rear light. This is a bare minimum setup for lighted areas. For my offroad tourer am looking to fit a Shutter Precision hub (PD8 disc) and still undecided on the light unit. Would like an Exposure Revo (£££) with a redeye rear light, but also looking at a Supernova E3

trail_rat
    Free Member

i have an exposure revo hooked up to an SP pd8x and a red eye.

works well when riding on own , not so good for group rides where you regroup at the top as you drop in to the next descent blind.

also have a b+m IQx with a top light on and a regular pd8 on my tourer that is great for road use , very bright and well aimed beam.

got a cheaper B+M cyo on my cargo bike teamed up with a top light and a shimano front hub – its not as bright as the IQx but mroe than bright enough for the road on a cargo bike

and on my fixie i have a set of 30 quid cheapo german lights and the cheapest shimano non disk dyno hub. not QUITE bright enough for unlit roads but cheap enough that when i leave it lying about the city im less likely to be bothered if i lose the lights than if it was an iqx….

shermer75
    Free Member

Looking at dynamo lighting for the ease and no faff.

This is why I chose them too! I love them actually, once they’re on (wheel buidling, cable routing etc) they are great- I don’t even switch them off as the drag is negligable. The hassle free-ness is amazing!

trail_rat
    Free Member

like wise …. thats why i have 4 bikes with them on.

scotroutes

I have a Revo (with the Exposure-badged SP dynamo) and an Exposure red-eye that plugs into it.

The only downside is having to repeatedly explain it’s a dynamo to all the folk that tell you you’ve left your lights on.

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

I own the B&M Lumotec IQ Cyo Premium T senso plus front headlamp, the B&M Secula Plus rear light, the Sinewave Beacon, the Exposure Revo and the Red Eye Long Cable rear light. By far and away the best is the Exposure Revo with Red Eye combination.
    I build my own wheels around a Shutter Precision PD8X dyno hub which saves on costs. I had to learn how to build as the bearings kept failing on the SP dyno hubs I’ve had in the past. SP then revamped their thru axle models with larger bearings and I swapped the three hubs I had free of charge. One is kept as a back up , the other two are in use, on a mtb and a road bike, and neither have failed yet. There’s 7000 miles on the road bike hub and about 1500 miles on the mtb hub so I think they are fairing better than the original models.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Was looking into this myself and could not find any built disc wheels with a dyno hub In 700C flavour .

joshvegas
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member
    I have a Revo (with the Exposure-badged SP dynamo) and an Exposure red-eye that plugs into it.

The only downside is having to repeatedly explain it’s a dynamo to all the folk that tell you you’ve left your lights on.

Thats not true there is another downside…

The sockets in the back of the revo are the same in and out. Is also dark at the back of the lightunit.

So if you lets say plug the output of the hub to the output of the light…. Poorly light..

Or so i heard…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

IF you’re gonna use it on the road, get a proper Euro front and rear light. Busch and Muller, Axa, something like that. Until a few years ago it was mandatory for all bikes in Germany above a certain weight to have dynamo lights, so they make the best ones.
    Any 6v 3w Dynamo will do. Don’t bother with 2.4w or 1.5w. Utterly pointless exercise.
    The front lights are not ultra bright LEDs in the middle of a circular reflector like an MTB light. The LEDs shine down onto a mirrored reflector like a proper car-type dipped beam (another German standard) so every single bit of light hits the road and none is wasted. They’re no good off road as they don’t illuminate above the level of the light but in Road the big pool of light they give off stops cars in their tracks on narrow roads because they think you’re a motorbike coming the other way. It’s that size of beam that works. Not massive brightness.
    Rear lights are the same. Large and evenly lit. They make you look bigger end close than that are. Mine also has a brake light which works well.
    I’ve got a B&M Luxos U on my bike (with USB charging and a 4 minute cache battery) and it’s superb. A big wide beam. It sends more power to the distance LEDs as you pass about 12kph, and during the day it senses the light and illuminates 2 extra positional LEDs for daytime visibility. I never turn it off unless charging my phone when touring.
    My other set up is currently on my wife’s bike with a B&M IQx which has no USB charging or cache battery but is smaller and neater with. Longer, brighter beam.
    I use Exposure/SP dynamos but given the chance again I’d get XT as they’re user serviceable and cheaper.
    There is no noticeable drag whatsoever.
    The USB charging on the Luxos will put about half a charge in an iPhone in 40-50 miles sloooow touring and minimal phone use. (Light off) Go faster and it’ll charger better I suppose.
    For road use either of the ones I have is superior to an Exposure Revo.

scotroutes

I use Exposure/SP dynamos but given the chance again I’d get XT as they’re user serviceable and cheaper.

That’s what I plan to do if/when my SP expires.

CraigW
    Free Member

Was looking into this myself and could not find any built disc wheels with a dyno hub In 700C flavour .

There’s a few available from the German shops. Look for ‘trekking’ wheels.
    eg https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;product=169973;menu=1000,2,140,209;pgc%5B1909%5D%5B19632%5D=1;pgc%5B1906%5D=1908;orderby=2
    https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/shimano-custom-made-fw-28-shimano-xt-dh-t785-cl-with-dt-swiss-466d-526250
    Or email Rosebikes, they can make custom wheels.

schmiken

I love my dynamos. Got two SP PDs, one attached to a B and M on the road bike, the other to an Exposure Revo on the singlespeed. Bloody brilliant.

shermer75
    Free Member

I never turn it off unless charging my phone when touring

This is interesting! I’m guessing it’s because the phone doesn’t charge as quickly?

shermer75
    Free Member

Was looking into this myself and could not find any built disc wheels with a dyno hub In 700C flavour

https://www.rosebikes.com/article/rose-hybrid-wheels-28700c-dt-swiss-545d-disc–shimano-deore-dh-3d37-disc-hub-dynamo-deore-fh-m6000/aid:2698430

dc2.0

Been sat on these for a while as I’m a fair weather, zwift through the winter, rider these days:

For sale SP 700c/29 disc wheel + B&M dyno light

srshaw
    Free Member

I would definately recommend the German shops. I have a b+m iq-X which works pretty well for the road. Perhaps if it was for off-road I might look at the exposure revo.

I use a shimano lx Dynamo hub, which again I bought from one of the German shops (rose bikes I think) I then built the wheel myself.

StirlingCrispin

Spa cycles do dynamo wheels too;
    https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s170p0/Parts-and-Accessories/Lights-Dynamo-Lighting-Handbuilt-Wheels

My front wheel on my utility bike (dynamo, roller brake etc) came from Rob at Really Useful Bikes: http://www.reallyusefulbikes.co.uk/

mariner
    Free Member

I had a SON dynamo running an Edelux II light.
    Good bits of kit and the ‘stand light’ or the ability to provide light when you are stopped is great.
    Make sure you include this when you are selecting your setup.

gowerboy

I have a Son/Lumix combination on my Troll. It works well and if you can afford the Son it has a really good warrantee that I have used to replace bearings after years of use.

They do have another downside though which is that you must avoid immersion. With a Rohloff at one end and a Son at the other I have to avoid deep water.

kevs
    Free Member

Thanks all, its for my bakfiets style cargo bike so 20″ disc front wheel.
    Used mainly for roads with the odd unlit cyclepath and through national trust parks.
    Im quite happy to use additional lights for unlit areas as i mainly want to be able to nip to the shops with one less thing to worry about.

newrobdob
    Free Member

This is interesting! I’m guessing it’s because the phone doesn’t charge as quickly?

There’s enough juice to power the lights or the usb socket for phone charging but not both.

shermer75
    Free Member

Thanks all, its for my bakfiets style cargo bike so 20″ disc front wheel

Oof! Make sure you build it with a 2 cross spoke pattern, or maybe even 1 cross if that’s possible?!? Otherwise the angle of the spoke where it meets the rim will be so acute the spokes will eventually start to snap where they insert into the nipple…

Mowgli
    Free Member

I have dynamos on several bikes and generally they’re excellent. A B&M Luxos U however is about to get returned under warranty for a second time – first time water ingress knackered the circuits, no idea what’s wrong this time, it’s just stopped working.

I’ve a couple of homemade LED efforts which work really well, and also a Supernova which has been excellent.

willyboy
    Free Member

XT hub here and B&M front and rear light. Been running them just over two years now and would recommend them.

I bought my and my Mrs’s pre built wheels from German bike shops. Mine was from Bike Hof on eBay, hers was from Taylor wheels (they do front non disc Shimano dynamo wheels from about £45 + shipping). I bought the lights via Rose.

Just put a B&M Eyc and a Secula on her commuter and I run a Cyo and a Toplight line plus rear.

I’ve got the braketec version of the Toplight, so it gets brighter when you slow down ( I think some other lights do this too). I followed another commuter this morning on an e bike and their rear light got brighter when she braked at a crossing; it was very noticeable.

imn

Was looking into this myself and could not find any built disc wheels with a dyno hub In 700C flavour

For a UK supplier, Hunt do a nice looking 700C wheel with SON hub. No personal experience as I have Exposure/PD8X with Stans Grail, but they look good.
    I’d second B&M lights. My IQx is very good (and has some side visibility which seems absent from the Edelux or Supernova ones). I find them perfect for road commute, but wouldn’t want to rely on them alone off-road. The Exposure Revo doesn’t have the same type as shaped beam from what I understand so may be better due to it’s spill.
    To answer the OP – the front hub will have terminals to connect the front light. My B&M front came with sufficient cable and the crimps already fitted so it just plugs on. There is also a second flying lead with spades on the lamp to which the rear light connects. I have the B&M Toplight View Plus with saddle mount, and had to buy a longer run of cable; it had spades on one end and the other is just bare ends which are trapped in a spring clip on the light. I run a flashing battery rear for extra visibility too.
    I think you need to be a bit careful matching front and rear lights – I think the Supernova rear doesn’t play nicely with other brands (or needs extra careful attention to polarity).

dovebiker

Built-up a wheel with the Exposure (SP) hub, Revo and Redeye lights – at ‘touring’ speed the Revo is just fine for bridleways, tracks etc and I use a helmet-mounted light for more technical trails. Got a Sinewave ‘box’ too for battery pack to power phone / GPS. I’m surprised Exposure haven’t updated the Revo to include integral battery / external charging capability – you could probably fit it all in a MaxxD housing for a really neat unit.

Bez

Note that SJS Cycles have the 3D37 disc dyno hub for £20, which is bargainmungous; although only in 36 hole flavour, which isn’t ideal for a 20” wheel but may work fine. A Lyt or an Eyc on an Axa Blueline is probably ideal for a cargo bike, along with whatever rear light fits best. (I use mudguard mounted Seculas, YMMV.)

trail_rat
    Free Member

I’m surprised Exposure haven’t updated the Revo to include integral battery / external charging capability – you could probably fit it all in a MaxxD housing for a really neat unit.

least good idea ever.

If your charging circuit dies (and they frequently do for one reason or another) then your left with no lights.

with separate units you just unwire the charger from the hub and carry on as before.

steezysix
    Free Member

The main reason charging units die seems to be when they are connected but not charging anything. It’s pretty easy to build a switch, I have the power coming from the hub into the switch, then to either the lights or the cycle2charge (in my case). If I’m not charging anything I just have my lights on, even in daytime. Has worked fine for 3+ years and counting.*

*Now it will probably die on my way home…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

‘m surprised Exposure haven’t updated the Revo to include integral battery / external charging capability – you could probably fit it all in a MaxxD housing for a really neat unit.

They don’t sell enough of them. Their marked is 1.21 gigawatt offroad and marine lights, where batteries will always win. As said above the ‘800 lumens’ at full pelt on a dynamo doesn’t cut it off road any more. I do agree with you, but at the same time I’m surprised they’re still making it. I made a similar suggestion to one of their employees, and from the response I don’t think it’ll ever be updated.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Isn’t the SineWave Beacon like an updated Exposure Revo?
    https://www.sinewavecycles.com/collections/lighting/products/sinewave-cycles-beacon

RAGGATIP – how do you find it?

hummerlicious
    Free Member

I use the exposure revo and red eye, I started with the SP dynamo, but have changed to a Son hub as it would appear they are a bit more durable / last longer.

I made my own switch box with bits from Maplin and use a B and M E-werk for charging.

You can see what I did here: Powering the gadgets

scotroutes

I use a Kemo M172N for charging. It has a switch built in. Not the prettiest piece of kit but it’s worked fine.

https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/kemo-bicycle-power-charge-controller-usb-n18dd

trail_rat
    Free Member

i use an igaro charging unit now – which has a switch,

look out for some big light releases from igaro next year – testing looks promising 😀

had similar response to peter poddy when suggesting updates for revo mk2.

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

HoratioHufnagel – Member

Isn’t the SineWave Beacon like an updated Exposure Revo?
    https://www.sinewavecycles.com/collections/lighting/products/sinewave-cycles-beacon

RAGGATIP – how do you find it?

Overpriced!

I bought it on that pre-release offer and thought it was expensive then. Now it’s just ridiculous especially when you factor in duty fees.

I’m not keen on it’s low speed blinking. It needs smoothing capacitors to sort that issue out I think but I’m no electrical expert.
    To eliminate the blinking at low speed it needs to have an external battery plugged in but I don’t think a dynamo light should need that. The Revo doesn’t after all and this light is more for off-road where slows speeds are frequent.

Also, the Beacon’s stand light is pretty dim too.

I much prefer my Revo + Igaro set up. It just works. Super reliable in all weather….

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Dynamo lights’ is closed to new replies.