Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • *Dull* what cordless vacuum cleaner
  • bruneep

wife would like a new cordless vacuum cleaner. Being to great husband I am I’d thought I’d treat her to one for her upcoming birthday*.

We have a dog, needs to be able to deal with dog hairs

Whats good

.* its what she said she wants…😕

dovebiker

We have 2x cordless Dysons as we’re a doggy household – we mainly have hard floors downstairs so good for that but corded with brushbar still needed for the rug / carpets

footflaps

We have a cordless Dyson and it’s pretty pathetic for the money you pay.

I wouldn’t buy another partly as James Dyson is a Brexit fanatic but mainly because the first one is rubbish at picking up dirt from hard floors let along carpets (where it does next to nothing).

Tracey

We have a Dyson V8 Amimal in the camper. Deals with all the biking dirt that we seem to accumulate and also the hair from a persistently moulting dog.

Got it from the Dyson ebay outlet. Said it was refurbished but looked new.

andrewh
    Free Member

We’ve got a Dyson. Previous corded Dyson was always needing fixed but wife still bought it, god knows why. Battery life is terrible and it too has proven unreliable. Would avoid at all costs.

Must it be cordless? Henrys seem to last forever

bigblackheinoustoe
    Free Member

Standard answer….the Makita backpack vacuum. Plus, she can pretend she’s a ghostbuster.

nickjb
    Free Member

Very happy with our cordless Dyson. Pretty much replaced the corded one and it’s much more convenient. Pick up is great on carpet and hard floor. For reference I have a Henry in the workshop and it’s fine in there, just not really a house vacuum.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

We have a long haired cat which malts a lot. Got a Dyson v8, it’s ok I don’t suffer the poor performance as mentioned by a few above.

It’s certainly not as powerful as our corded Dyson though so we use the v8 as a sort of quick cleaner as it’s light and easy to manouveur and certainly does a good job on all floors but doing a proper clean always go back to corded.

Kamakazie

For the money I think the Vax Blade 32v Ultra is a great buy.

Decent battery, the motorised brush helps pick hair up and it’s impressively powerful on turbo mode.

Stoner
    Free Member

got a dyson v8. Generally does the sucking up thing OK, but christ it’s a dick of a thing to empty. You need a chopstick and an airline.

SInce my workshop is all makita stuff I might have a look at one of those next time .

molgrips
    Free Member

We have a cordless Dyson and it’s pretty pathetic for the money you pay.

Recently I was wandering round Curry’s and saw the Hoover ones for £120 or something sensible. So I had a look, tried it out, and worked my way up the aisle towards the Dyson section. The cheaper ones were ok, what you’d expect. The Dyson V8 was better but costlier. But the V10 was incredible. Vastly more suction than the others, possibly more than our mains one.

So can the posters complaining about Dysons say which one it is? Cos I can’t imagine complaining about the suction on the V10.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Boycotting Dyson because of his views on Brexit? Ridiculous. This is a man who is investing big time int he UK, employs talented engineers from around the world, runs amongst the best engineering apprenticeship schemes inspiring and introducing hundreds of young people to a fantastic career in Science and Engineering, set up an academy attracting students from the UK and all over the world to study Engineering and Design, a guy who exports the majority of what his company produces, mostly to non-EU countries (hence the reason for his brexiteer opinion) to the great benefit of the UK economy, and is at the forefront of engineering research and development into technologies that will be commonplace in the future. And on top of all that, if that isn’t good enough, he pays his fair share of tax and corporation tax to the UK exchequor. But some are boycotting his products because he is a Brexiteer! Pathetic! Surely even if you’re a remainer you still want the UK to succeed? and people like Dyson will be pivotal to our success in the future…not just him and his company but the young people he’s training and inspiring into a vitally important industry and lucrative career for them.

If you think Dyson makes crap products then fair enough, don’t buy. If you can’t afford them or think they’re overpriced, fair enough, don’t buy. The reality is from people I know who have his cordless vac’s they love them and have had other cordless cheaper ones before taking the plunge with a Dyson and they’ve not been disappointed. Some people have had bad experiences it seems (as with any product), but most seem to be pretty satisfied.

My MIL who has one (about 5 years old now so not the latest and greatest current model) says they’re obviously not as good as a chorded cleaner….you couldn’t do the whole house on one charge, but for a single room the suction they provide and ability to suck up stuff…and she has long haired cats and dogs who drop hair, it does the business. She got chordless because of the pets as she’s always whipping it out to clean up after the animals so really convenient and effective for that. But she has a chorded vacuum for cleaning the rest of the house – which used to be a Dyson, but she didn’t get on with the chorded Dyson, so got rid of that and got a Henry.

alibongo001

Ive got a 32v Vax Blade one and its great – they have just brought out a more powerful one too!

If you sign up to their website, they often have good deals, but the baseline is cheaper than Dyson anyway

monkeychild
    Free Member

I have had Dyson vacuums for almost 20 years. I was not impressed with the ball one we bought a few years ago. The suction is pants (new filters and cleaning did nothing). I took a punt on a Shark (looks like a cordless but has a cord). It’s amazing the amount of dust it lifted from the carpet that the Dyson failed to do is immense.

Rich_s

got a dyson v8. Generally does the sucking up thing OK, but christ it’s a dick of a thing to empty. You need a chopstick and an airline.

Just out of interest, have you read the manual? On our v6 you click the release button down, the hatch opens and stuff falls out. Then you release the button and click it again. This releases the whole bin. Everything else then falls out/off. You need to have already taken the tool off first!

Also, the monthly wash / clean inner filter seems to matter.

bruneep

Vax blade 2 40v could be a winner.

Will see if there are any in store to look at

footflaps

Boycotting Dyson because of his views on Brexit? Ridiculous.

Just because you don’t agree with it, doesn’t make it ridiculous. The damage Brexit has done and will do to the UK economy is orders of magnitude more than any benefit from Dyson PLC.

footflaps

On our v6 you click the release button down, the hatch opens and stuff falls out. Then you release the button and click it again.

Ours is supposed to be like that, takes all my strength to actually get it to release (the wife can’t do it). It used to be quite easy but has got ridiculously tough now.

So can the posters complaining about Dysons say which one it is? Cos I can’t imagine complaining about the suction on the V10.

Not actually sure, not the V8 or V10, maybe 3 years old now. Makes a lot of noise and has a Turbo mode, but doesn’t actually pick much up and if you release the button mid pick up, the dirt just falls back out the nozzle onto the floor.

molgrips
    Free Member

That sounds like it’s not working properly. Maybe open it up and have a look. Although the V10 I tried had loads of suction the V8 still had plenty, enough to pick up dirt. I reckon yours is blocked.

johndoh
    Free Member

We’ve got a V7 Motörhead dyson and it’s amazing – it picks up more than our powered Dyson does. All the reviews I’ve read say don’t spend more on the animal version as they are really no different. We have a dog and ours seems happy picking up dog hair.

cbike
    Free Member

Ryobi.  Battery can be replaced in the future.   Good for dog hair and large items.  Not so good for micro size dust but you have a decent mains vacuum for that stuff.      My Sister has a battery dyson.  Pretty crap in comparison and well overpriced for the performance.

kimbers

Just because you don’t agree with it, doesn’t make it ridiculous. The damage Brexit has done and will do to the UK economy is orders of magnitude more than any benefit from Dyson PLC.

+1 the fact that he supports stripping away my EU citizenship from me & my kids is enough for me.

But thanks for trying to police my thoughts.

kimbers

As for cordless, sounds good, but until charge time improves, I’m not convinced.

As for model no experience, but I’ll wait until miele do one, our Miele is 9 years old, my parents are on their 2nd or possibly 3rd Dyson in that time

johndoh
    Free Member

As for model no experience, but I’ll wait until miele do one, our Miele is 9 years old, my parents are on their 2nd or possibly 3rd Dyson in that time

As I just found out when registering our new cordless Dyson , our existing Dyson ‘conventional’ vacuum is 12 years old and has been 100% faultless. Just for balance like.

rone

I have two Dysons (v6s) and whilst very handy I still go back to the corded Miele for little stuff, it just doesn’t pick up small debris as much on hard floors.

Mate has got a V10, but so ugly, massive and heavy – it’i moved away from the concept a bit by being cumbersome. Much better than the V6 though.

bigblackshed

Dyson moved all of the manufacturing to China. Put a lot of people out work.

Dick move.

footflaps

That sounds like it’s not working properly. Maybe open it up and have a look.

Nope no blockages, to be fair it’s always been a bit shit. Considering it cost several £100, I’m less than impressed.

My next cordless purchase will be a Bosch. £102 on Amazon (without battery) and looks way better than most domestic cordless vacuums.

footflaps

+1 the fact that he supports stripping away my EU citizenship from me & my kids is enough for me.

His main stated enthusiasm for Brexit is that he and other employers can reduce worker rights and fire staff more easily, so not someone I’m ever going to support by buying his wares. Seems he wants the UK to become more like the USA, with impoverished employees with no rights and no welfare state. Nice man!

sparksmcguff

The Bosch ones. Bought one for a house with cream carpets as a handy backup to a cabled Miele. Mostly use the Bosch. You can wash/clean the filters. Battery has good capacity. Decent sized dust container. Not too heavy, not to big. Well made.

https://www.bosch-home.co.uk/product-list/vacuum-cleaners/cordless-vacuum-cleaners/BCH732KTGB?breadcrumb=rechargeablefloorvacuumcleaners

batfink
    Free Member

After having a corded Dyson cylinder (DC19?) for 10ish years, we wanted a cordless, and so bought a V10 (using lots of Qantas points).

Things I’m impressed with:

Suction is comparable to the corded Dyson when on the medium setting.  On “high” the cordless maybe seems a bit better – either way, I would say “broadly equivalent”

The battery power is sufficient to do the whole house (3 bed) on medium.  I’m not sure it would make it the whole way around on high – but we have hard floors downstairs, so high really isn’t necessary.

Emptying the canister is easy – I gather that’s something that’s been improved over the previous models.

The main benefit is convenience – having the thing wall-mounted (in the kitchen) means its super-convenient, the upshot being you hoover more frequently.  You wouldn’t think “getting the hoover out and plugging it in” would be too much of a barrier….. but it turns out: it was.

It’s excellent for doing the car.  I bought a ryobi dustbuster thing (because I already had the batteries from other power tools) for this purpose and it was a complete failure – wouldn’t lift anything out of the car carpets – not even dry sand.

It’s pretty quiet – to the point we are happy using it after the baby is asleep.

Things I’m not impressed with:

The price (obvs).  It’s good – but I don’t think it represents good value for money at full price.  This might be different with the V8/7/6 models which can be had for much less.

The build quality.  Had no concerns with my old Dyson corded re: build quality.  However, the plastic on this one feels significantly less robust.  I feel like if I dropped it on a hard floor, it would break.

The filter.  It seems to need cleaning frequently.  I think it gets clogged quickly if you run the machine with a full-ish dust canister.

molgrips
    Free Member

Same as my thinking on the subject batfink.  In our house we only have stairs and landings with carpet, and using the traditional cylinder is heavy and annoying.

I suppose thinner lighter plastics are inevitable when it’s meant to be able to be used with one hand.

FuzzyWuzzy

My Dyson v6 is still going strong (had to replace the battery, the knock-off replacement from Amazon seems fine though). When it fails I’ll be replacing with whatever the latest Dyson is. From what I’ve seen in comparison tests Dysons still come out on top – others are similar performance but then also similar price. I think the main advantage for some of the alternatives is multi-battery support (if you have a large house) which I don’t think the Dyson offers (you can change Dyson batteries they’re just not supposed to be a quick swap).

firestarter
    Free Member

I’ve a gtech k9 Hoover and handheld thing works well I don’t know where it’s made or the owners brexit thought though I’m afraid.

I used to laugh at the adverts about being tethered to the wall but I would not go back to a corded one now it’s so much better

johndoh
    Free Member

Last night my 9 yr old daughter took our new cordless Dyson off me and put it back on the wall telling me I was addicted LOL!

She’s right though – its so easy to pick up and use that it gets used more and the house is cleaner.

wallop

His main stated enthusiasm for Brexit is that he and other employers can reduce worker rights and fire staff more easily, so not someone I’m ever going to support by buying his wares. Seems he wants the UK to become more like the USA, with impoverished employees with no rights and no welfare state. Nice man!

Out of interest, where did you read/hear that?

But back to vacuums – has anyone tried the cordless Henry yet?

mandog

Bit of a hijack.

What does the STW massif recommend for cordless car cleaning?

beicmodur
    Free Member

We have two of them, two different models, one for up stairs and one for down….

1. The batteries are pap, I’ve had to replace them on both units already.

2. The filters are a bloody nightmare. They have to be washed / changed every month. Any sort of build up in them will cause an overheat and trigger the auto-shut off.

3. Emptying them is pain. We do have long haired animals and as someone else has said you need some sort of chopstick type instrument to empty the bloody thing.

4. We’re going back to a normal vacuum as the above, mostly the battery fade issue, is such a hassle.

However, they are super handy for quick jobs but if you want a really thorough clean you’ll want a normal vacuum.

martinhutch

How does it get on with astroturf?

EDIT: Never mind, Sarah’s already been seen off!

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘*Dull* what cordless vacuum cleaner’ is closed to new replies.