Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • DT Revolution? Any advantage?
  • Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Building up some new wheels.
    Thinking about Revolution spokes but it gonna cost me a bit more money.
    Is it gonna save me a lot of weight over a standard DT double butted spoke?
    Building some Hope Pro 4 on Stans Crest 29 MK3 with brass nipples if that’s any help?
    Thanks,
    Max

blahblahblah
    Free Member

A bit lighter but also result in a wheel that is probably slightly less laterally stiff.

Depends what you want the wheels for really. XC race? You might want Revs with alloy nipples. If they are your only set of wheels Comps are probably good.

I bought a box of Super Comps to re-lace my snappy E13 TRS+ wheels recently. They were only £10 more expensive than standard Comps and a bit lighter. Good compromise without going to Revs. Haven’t re-laced my wheels yet. Will do when the next spoke snaps.

dovebiker

Tried them once on a road build – I only weigh 60kg but had to replace the drive side with double-butted as they were too-flexy, couldn’t maintain tension. Alloy nipples are great if you enjoy regular rebuilds – they suffer from stress-corrosion cracking if you ride on salty roads

benpinnick

How many spokes?

flap_jack
    Free Member

how heavy are you ? rear couldn’t cope with my 90kg, only modern spokes I’ve ever snapped. 28 spoke front radial road has been OK though (I don’t care about lateral flex).

andyl
    Free Member

Currently eyeing up Sapim Lasers which look similar, had some on some wheels and they felt so fragile but there is definitely a weight saving to be had so am still tempted also.

I normally use D-lights which are slightly thinner than Super Comps but still have a 2mm thread or Alpina which are comparable to Super Comps but about half the cost and have a 2mm thread.

leegee

eBay seller ryanbuildswheels has very good deals on Sapim spokes and very good service.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Hi,
    Running 32 hole rims and weigh about 13.5 stone.
    Will be my main wheelset and predominantly xc race but the odd occasional trail ride.
    Will be using plus wheels for anything more adventurous.
    Interested in the weight difference as my frame has come out a bit heavier than expected!
    I have used them before with a Reynolds carbon rim and 24 spoke but I am guessing the carbon rim is stiffer so not so sure with Crests!
    Thanks,
    Max

Daffy

I’ve used Res on several wheelsets including my commuter and have never had any spokes loosen themselves. They do need a lot of tension to make them work properly so building them onto a flexy rim like a Crest with really low maximum spoke tension doesn’t really work…

FWIW – I’ve recently switched from Revs to D-lights. They’re only around 15g per wheel heavier and are MUCH MUCH stiffer.

mellowyellow
    Free Member

Built-up some superlight wheels using Rev spokes alloy anodised nipples, Stans Olympic rims and American Classic hubs. Sub 1300g if I remember correctly.
    Been using them for XC and general rides for 5 years plus. Apart from hub issues which is another story been great, no noticeable flex.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Dt rev has been my go to spoke for most of my wheels
    Inc the stans arch on stans 3.30 hubs on my enduro

Never had issues with them but I’m sub 60kg , don’t crash through things. And I use a tension meter when I build them.

At higher tensions especially with carbon rims they can be a pain as they stretch and you need a spoke holder

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve used them on several sets with no ill effects. They do wind up a bit, but that’s ok if you know vaguely what you’re doing.

I am slightly lighter than you though at ~70kg.

benpinnick

D-lights or comp races are much nicer to build with I find, and as mentioned only add a little weight. D-Lights are handy as well in 100 boxes for reasonable money in the grand scheme of expensive spokes (89p per vs £1.30 RRP for revs). With Hope hubs you should be able to get away with a single length for both spokes if you choose wisely which keeps the cost down as you can buy a single box.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

I might look at super comps.
    Not much heavier and a bit cheaper.
    Any one built any Hope Pro 4 boost on Crest MK3?
    Need to work out spoke lengths now!
    Thanks for the help!
    Max

Northwind

andyl – Member

Currently eyeing up Sapim Lasers which look similar, had some on some wheels and they felt so fragile but there is definitely a weight saving to be had so am still tempted also.

I’ve used the Lasers in a couple of mtb wheels. Then I discovered that Sapim actually don’t recommend them for mtb use. But they’ve been fine tbh. It’s literally the same spoke as the CX-Ray, just with less forging so not as strong. I like ’em, they’re inexpensive and usually come with proper brass nipples too. I’m pretty light and not especially fussed about wheel stiffness though.

(I always say the same thing but it’s true, I got my 29er carbon wheels built with the newer DT Comp Race and they seem really good, it’s just that they’re bloody impossible to google for)

benpinnick

Super comps (and revs) use 1.8 nipples which can be a ball ache to find in a pinch just so you know.

Daffy

Revolutions use standard 2.0mm nipples – and that’s why I use D-lights instead of Supercomps – they’re also 2.0mm. They’re also lighter and seemingly stiffer.

TheDoctor
    Free Member

Nice spokes and a fair bit lighter than DB ones, only used them on the road bike though, a COMPETENT wheel builder can put together a robust light and stiff wheel set, mine were on 240hubs and excelight rims, did Flanders and roubaix on them, they didn’t even need truing after all that!

benpinnick

Revolutions use standard 2.0mm nipples – and that’s why I use D-lights instead of Supercomps – they’re also 2.0mm. They’re also lighter and seemingly stiffer.

Aye youre right, doh.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘DT Revolution? Any advantage?’ is closed to new replies.